PDA

View Full Version : GPS/backtrack ?

JEB
03-29-2012, 01:33 PM
I was wonder if you geocashers who use GPS units have every used or know anything about the Bushnell Backtrack unit. I have a Garmin etrex GPS unit but my limited trechnical ability (computer stupid) doesn't allow me to use it.

I know the backtrack unit can not be used for geocashing just wonder if you folks know anything about them.

bluewanders
03-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Sure... I have used one before. It is at its most basic, just a compass. It is very easy to use... but so is a compass. Basically... you have a backlit screen with a compass on it. It does have the ability to mark 3 waypoints and navigate back to them... but you can't enter those waypoints, you have to already be there... so it can't take you to a place you've never been... unless you use it like a compass, in conjunction with a map.

JEB
03-29-2012, 01:59 PM
So if you turn it on when you leave the truck, find something, mark it, and then on another day you can make your way back to the marked spot. Does that sound about right.

solocanoe
03-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Jeb -that's the way it worked for me. I was given one as a gift a few years back before they changed the way they look...but I think they function the same.

the thought my uncle had was canoeing in the fog on a large body of water....
the only time I actually used it...was in an urban setting I was visiting right after I got it.

true to it's name...it did 'backtrack me' right to where I started it at.
but that's all I ever did with it. took the batteries out...and it's in the gear closet.

swamper50
03-29-2012, 02:46 PM
I was wonder if you geocashers who use GPS units have every used or know anything about the Bushnell Backtrack unit. I have a Garmin etrex GPS unit but my limited trechnical ability (computer stupid) doesn't allow me to use it.

I know the backtrack unit can not be used for geocashing just wonder if you folks know anything about them.

I've used mine when we(the wife) go on vacation to places like Thailand, Nam. Push the botton and go. It points the way back to where you started and tells you how far you have to go. Easy, no brainer to find the way back.
Regards.

ezra45
03-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Yep, I have one of the round ones and that is the way it works...and works well!
Very simple.

Regards,

ezra

Shnick
04-28-2012, 06:12 PM
If the Backtrack unit is all you need, then by all means thats all you'll need. But as a geocacher, i highly encourage using your etrex for about 3 or 4 days, heck, go find a couple of caches with it and you'll be surprised how familiar it all will become. I admit I can't run someone elses Delorme or Magellan immediately, but I can run the dickens outta my Etrex Legend! LOL

Get out there, have fun!

Shnick