PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sale Kutmaster pocketknife

Gerald_G
03-30-2012, 02:50 AM
Hey just had to share. Stopped at the first yard sale of the season in my area today. Scored a little Kutmaster pocketknife for $3. I believe this style is a "Stockman" type knife, yes?

Below are the "As Found" photos, and a couple "After some Cleaning" photos.

I still need to sharpen it up a bit, but it can make fuzz sticks as it is now. Any info on the knife (since I know little about knifes) would be appreciated.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb60/gerald_g/Misc/Before.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb60/gerald_g/Misc/After_Cleaning.jpg

sherlockian100
03-30-2012, 03:10 AM
I had that same knife many years ago, I think when I was still a Boyscout 198? Very cool.

GreyOne
03-30-2012, 04:38 AM
Neat find, well worth cleaning up and returning it to use. Good find !

Oberdare
03-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Nice job restoring, now it just looks "loved" instead of neglected haha. Should be a great EDC blade for you, I still love my slipjoints

A K Church
03-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Utica Kutmasters seem to be really well made knives. I lost a commercial Scout with that handle and shield a while back, and I miss it.

My Sister's green handled Utica Girl Scout knife from the '70s has held up better than my brown handled Ulster Boy Scout knife of the same time frame, not that that this by itself proves anything.

A K Church
03-30-2012, 10:02 AM
and still in business. I don't know whether the product line is still made by them, or contracted out.

ewtoutdoors
03-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Nice find, looks good cleaned up a little. Love the character in older knives.

Clayton
03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
i have one of those that my grandpa left me. i was able to restore the outside decently. but how did you get the inside grit out of the action? i was thinking of soaking it in hoppers gun cleaning solution

Gerald_G
03-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Itīs in my pocket today.

Ratty1
03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
It looks really similar to my old boy scout knife that I had back in the '80s. I wish I still had that knife, but alas I was young and dumb. Looks like you made a nice score.

Gerald_G
03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
i have one of those that my grandpa left me. i was able to restore the outside decently. but how did you get the inside grit out of the action? i was thinking of soaking it in hoppers gun cleaning solution

There was not too much grit or issues inside. I gave it a bath in vinegar for a bit, and happened to spot a small paintbrush (maybe 1/2 inch craft brush or so) that I had allowed lacquer to dry on so it was stiff. Made a nice little tool that way for scrubbing around inside the knife.

Then I used some well used 600grit on the steel parts, and started on the edges with a stone. Then used WD40 to rid the knife of water, and wiped it down with a rag.