PDA

View Full Version : A Better Survival Solar Still?

MtnManJoe
03-31-2012, 03:15 PM
I just came across this article, and it sounds like the"Solar Still" (a good idea in theory) might have actually been improved - yielding a viable survival tool ??

Lots of good information here - on how a solar still really works.

This is a relatively long article, but If you have ever had "typically disappointing results with a SS", read it all ..
Might be worth giving it another try.
http://survivalblog.com/2012/03/the-extreme-solar-still-concept-by-jim-d.html
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/DaExtreme/D%20Still/ed7c8651.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/DaExtreme/D%20Still/a7df7c6f.jpg

the_finn
03-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Looks cool, but I'm still asking the question, "Will the returns be worth the effort?". That looks like it would take some effort to build. I used to carry a large sheet of clear plastic in my PSK, but after watching a Ray Mears video where he used clear trash bags for transpiration in the Australian Outback, I carry the trash bags. About 6 bags take up less space as well. Admittedly, I have not personally tried either, but I have researched the topic extensively, as I live in an arid region. If I ever remember to try the transpiration bags, I'll post my results on here, in case anybody is interested. I may try building one of those modified stills, as well. It does look really cool. :4:

CKjeep84
03-31-2012, 03:36 PM
i havent tried anything like that be for, although i have used water vines. as lonng as you have a knife your in good shape. water was realy good too

MtnManJoe
03-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Looks cool, but I'm still asking the question, "Will the returns be worth the effort?". That looks like it would take some effort to build. I used to carry a large sheet of clear plastic in my PSK, but after watching a Ray Mears video where he used clear trash bags for transpiration in the Australian Outback, I carry the trash bags. About 6 bags take up less space as well. Admittedly, I have not personally tried either, but I have researched the topic extensively, as I live in an arid region. If I ever remember to try the transpiration bags, I'll post my results on here, in case anybody is interested. I may try building one of those modified stills, as well. It does look really cool. :4:

As I have pondered on here a number of times - There is Much in the Survival Lore that is taken as gospel - Simply because it has been printed and re-printed forever.
... Ya might want to actually try the transpiration bag thing 'before' you actually stake your life on it - it is a little more problematic than it is presented in the lore .. altho it Is for sure doable.

This 'improved' scheme for the Solar Still looks to hold promise (in the extreme situation where you have no other means of acquiring water) .. but as you pointed out - Yeah .. It is a Lot of work, and the returns damn well better be worth it.

the_finn
03-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Looking at it again, that cross section made me think of a dry creek or wash, where that thing may work great. I'm thinking of a situation where there may not be enough moisture for digging alone to be worthwhile. Gotta get out and try this now. Still looks like a hell of a lot of work, especially adding in the moving of a bunch of dark stones (if you can find them).

LetsRock
03-31-2012, 04:56 PM
I have tried the traditional survival solar still. I made a 6 foot hole that was a lotta work & sweat that resulted in like an ounce or 2 of water (clear plastic). I also tried it using a brownie pan and had better success with it (rubberbanded cling-wrap) to better understand the concept, but didn't go to the extent this guy did.

This new design makes sense. I may give it another try. I wonder if heating the dark rocks by a fire (ie. hot rocks) would help, keeping the still working throughout the night too?