PDA

View Full Version : BCUSA Gen2 Tarp Stress Test

Guy
04-06-2012, 11:00 AM
I ran this all the way through to show that it was not edited during the testing. The only edit is at the end when I goofed, but the results are there prior to that.

BCUSA Tarp - Tab Stress Test - 04.06.2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w6oPJeTCkQ)

Ridge Walker
04-06-2012, 01:26 PM
"...but I am going to move my dam feet..." Wise of course, (and funny!) but glad to see completely unnecessary. Great to see a no nonsense test.

madmax
04-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Max is an overweight 50 lbs and done full blown body slams into strung Gen 1 M.E.S.T. chasing bumps in the night. No damage.
Nice review.

EdD270
04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks, FAOL, great test with no BS. refreshing in today's world. It would be interesting to see weight added, say in 5# increments, to failure. I'm curious to know just what the limits are of these great tarps.
You mentioned there's no difference between the tarps. I've heard that flame resistant treatments, and possibly some other treatments, may slightly weaken the material. Have you found that to be true with these tarps?

hkgonra
04-06-2012, 08:11 PM
My only complaint would be that you are wearing an empty holster.

Guy
04-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks, FAOL, great test with no BS. refreshing in today's world. It would be interesting to see weight added, say in 5# increments, to failure. I'm curious to know just what the limits are of these great tarps.
You mentioned there's no difference between the tarps. I've heard that flame resistant treatments, and possibly some other treatments, may slightly weaken the material. Have you found that to be true with these tarps?

I actually bounced the weight up and down a couple of times, then picked it up a foot and let it drop. It ripped the thread, as it should have, when I dropped it a foot. I am sure someone could tell you the force multiplier when you drop 35 lbs for 10-12 inches (it is much higher than 35 lbs). I didn't have all of it on film so didn't put any of it up.

The tabs are field repairable in case you do that sort of thing by accident. It is much better to have thread rip than material. You can repair with a needle and thread, inner 550 cord strand, dental floss, artificial sinew, etc.

As for material, I meant the base material, which is 1.9 oz/yd ripstop nylon. There is a difference in the treatments. Some are urethane only, ranging from .25 - 1.25 oz/yd, and a couple with a fire retardant finish added on.

Guy
04-06-2012, 10:01 PM
My only complaint would be that you are wearing an empty holster.

Its rarely empty, but it happens when I am just around the house on occasion.