PDA

View Full Version : What do you leave behind?

survivewyo
04-06-2012, 11:06 AM
I've seen many cache's and most have what i call "cheap china crap" inside. So what I do is print out a bunch of little cards that have "bushcraft" skills printed on them. ie: how to start a primitive fire, how to build a shelter, how to boil water ect.... Then when I find a cache I leave one of these cards behind, to me this is FAR better/more useful than the stuff I usually find.

MissouriMapper
04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I've seen many cache's and most have what i call "cheap china crap" inside. So what I do is print out a bunch of little cards that have "bushcraft" skills printed on them. ie: how to start a primitive fire, how to build a shelter, how to boil water ect.... Then when I find a cache I leave one of these cards behind, to me this is FAR better/more useful than the stuff I usually find.

That's a great idea!!! I don't geocache but if I did I would much rather find something like your cards than just some trinket. Real cool idea of yours.

DeDominick
04-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I have not gone in a while because what you find was usually disappointing. I really appreciate your idea, sharing knowledge rather than a Mc Donalds toy,

kelly24179
04-06-2012, 11:32 AM
That is a great idea any chance I can get a copy of the cards you have I would like to start doing the samething in my neck of the woods love your idea.

Two Bears
04-06-2012, 11:51 AM
This is a good idea to leave in a cache, if you take something out of a cache your supposed to leave something of equel value.

Jon Foster
04-06-2012, 11:47 PM
We usually just log the visits these days but in the past we left a lot of LED flashlights and mini Swiss Army Knives. Once we left two digital cameras as first finder prizes.

I like your idea of the info cards.

Jon.

hog
04-07-2012, 02:19 AM
Usually leave animal shaped erasers or a small pkt of coloured pencil crayons or a coin from South Africa.
Most of what I find is usually damp and rusty crud.

fz1boxer
10-14-2012, 06:19 AM
my wife and i cache under her nick "boxerlady"
we have little premade bags of swag.
biner,paracord fob and a personalized poker chip or geocoin if we really like the cache.

Grey Owl
11-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Since we only trade items for the sake of our kids, we tend to place items that our kids enjoy. Animal figurines, willow twig figures, bouncy balls, tealight candles, etc. For myself, I generally will not trade for anything unless there is a travelbug, pathtag or other trackable item.

laugh
11-12-2012, 11:14 PM
That's a good idea. Never thought of information as something you could leave behind. I normally use penny from the year I was born with my NICK cut into them.

Two Bears
11-13-2012, 07:35 AM
That is a good idea I would do that also if I had them. What's is in the caches is supposed for kids not adults. I have found a few things I traded for that I wanted but nothing really exciting. My grandkids are always finding some kind of junk that they want in a cache.

ppine
11-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Tracks and smiles.

wingnut
11-13-2012, 11:00 PM
great idea.
one of the best things i ever found was a deck of cards with camping/survival skills on them.

chris24grif
11-13-2012, 11:18 PM
probably pretty lame, but I leave a book of matches.
..and to add insult to injury, if it's an annoying little micro-cache, I leave one. One match. If I can't fit the match, I leave the head. :54:

L.V
11-14-2012, 03:21 AM
Pretty much only my nick. Sometimes NIB golf balls as I have them a full box. I search them only for the cool places or tricky camos etc. not becouse of some items inside of them. Like this cache I've found with my friend it was multi. First was in tree, second were on crack in 5x5 yard boulder (needed climping as it were 4 yard above ground) and last one were under the another 5x5 boulder in crack again. :D This was pretty cool.

Friend searching the final cache

jaxson
11-16-2012, 07:26 PM
i usually leave in a drop box a small firesteel relativly cheap but they are good

oldsoldier
11-19-2012, 07:37 PM
I am just getting back into this, after a couple year hiatus. I had some wooden nickels made up, with my caching name (same as here) and my logo (infantry crossed rifles on a blue background). I have been leaving them for several years now. I rarely take anything at all-but I love the idea of having little cards made up!!! When I run out of nickels, thats what I will go with next!!!

SmithPNW
02-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Cool idea.
I take my 3 boys with me and they love to trade all of the geojunk. I spent 20$ on cheesy toys for them at party city. They like to think they are treasure hunters. Lol
I do not trade unless it is sig items. My sig items are paracord keychains. Nutn fancy but i just prefer handmade and seeing how creative people can be.

Schmittie
02-06-2013, 11:15 PM
I can't exactly explain why, but my wife has a surplus if camo pencils. For some reason she gets a kick out of leaving one so I always HAVE to have one in my pack, just in case we come across a cache

Unicoi
02-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Back when my son and I were into geocaching pretty heavy, we had custom wooden nickles.

rokclmb
02-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Depends on where the cache is. If the cache is in the USA I try to leave little Japanese trinkets in it. If the cache is in Japan I try to leave American trinkets in it. Usually it's something I have to keep hidden from my kids otherwise they'll want to keep it instead of leaving it in the cache.

Animus
02-10-2013, 07:32 PM
I've recently picked up wood carving and have messed with scrap pieces of wood just for practice. If small enough, I leave some of these in geocaches. I like the thought of original work, not just crackerjack toys.

Ugly_Barbarian
04-10-2013, 12:00 AM
I've recently picked up wood carving and have messed with scrap pieces of wood just for practice. If small enough, I leave some of these in geocaches. I like the thought of original work, not just crackerjack toys.

I just said that in another thread, not four hours ago....with all the people on here that whittle, do leather craft, etc. It wouldn't be much work to get some practice and use some scrap material and leave something of a bushcrafty feel to it.....maybe with explanation as to how it was made or even the URL for this forum or personal website....good on you Animus.

I haven't geocached in a few years...which is silly because in the last 18 months I've been on 4 continents and everywhere I go I have a GPS and an iphone 4S......I think it is time for me to pull my head out of my rump (are we allowed to say rump on this forum? I kinda skimmed through the rules) and get back to geocaching......

Which website do you guys use for your geocaching??? Are any of them more military friendly than others (I prefer MGRS to lat/long)???

my2

amusin
04-10-2013, 12:12 AM
I rather like stacking rocks as a short term non disturbing I was here sorta thing nothing huge just little towers or river rocks laid out in track shapes

D-boon
05-22-2013, 04:40 AM
My girlfriend and I like to leave simple toys for the kids like tops and bouncy balls, we found a few of these little globes that were very realistic, she likes frogs so we have an assortment of frog figures and some other animals, I also leave para cord stuff like key chains and some bracelets. We don't like leaving junk typ stuff so we have tried to find stuff that relates to the outdoors.

dead short
05-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Most of the ones I've found have been while I am at work. Usually I just leave my name. I have been guilty of leaving little trinkets from my work though.

Naga
07-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Never leave anything just sign my name and go.

cmb0311
08-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Great idea! I may start doing this myself. I have been leaving paracord bracelets behind. I have been trying to leave something useful behind, just like you. I was kicking around the idea of purchasing some items for fire starting (I.e. ferro rods, char cloth etc) and including them as we'll. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to do something different.

logan-boone
08-28-2013, 12:58 AM
Fatwood chunks on jute twine for fire kits or Victorinox classic keychain knife (bought an airport seizure lot) at especially remote or beautiful places.

dryheat
08-28-2013, 01:09 AM
I have left whatever is on hand. Most of the caches I have found had gross old junk in them. The fun is in finding the cache I think.

Watson
09-01-2013, 09:20 PM
We geocache with the kids. The policy is thus:
"You can only take a toy if you leave a toy of equal or greater value."

:D We frequently don't leave anything!

Woodman: the adventurer
09-17-2013, 10:43 PM
I like to leave things like foreign coins and natural stuff like polished stones, fossils, meteors, and animal teeth.

gunner65
09-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Nothing we just sign and go. For us its about the hunt not whats in the box. It may not be the true "spirit of the game" but that is what we like to do.

Expo 6
09-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Mini SAK are the things I normally leave( cheap but still pretty cool), but I mostly just log my visit and move on.

gunner65
09-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Depends where the cache is located.
If its on public land it gets packed out like all the packable trash we happen upon.
Private land, For a variety of reason, We usually leave a condom.

So you throw away geo caches that you locate on public land? Doesnt this defeat the purpose of geo caching?

Sub 1 MOA
09-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Nothing we just sign and go. For us its about the hunt not whats in the box. It may not be the true "spirit of the game" but that is what we like to do.

This is pretty much what I do. I love the search and finding the cach. Usually just look through, sign the log (if there is one), replace it, and on to the next one.

stixman
10-14-2013, 12:03 PM
I leave small brass tags "Kentucky Walking Sticks" that I had made.

I attach the tag to the travel bug when I find one, but I leave a tag in each cache I find.

I mostly hunt in the winter, too many bugs here in Kentucky In the summer.

stixman
10-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I found this cache a couple of years ago.

I was looking for the cache in a cedar tree and jumped about 3' when a stuck my face in the bush and thought a reall dove was in my face.

t4halo
01-02-2014, 04:27 PM
I took my nephews out yesterday, we traveled via snowmobile. We stop the sleds when we are 200yds from the cache. The boys did all the navigating and loved it. We left hand and toe warmers.

T4

HardLuck682
01-14-2014, 08:34 AM
I used to leave behind a green army guy. My kid has since adopted all I have left. I need to get another pack and keep em better hidden. As of late, I'll usually just sign the logbook.

...sent from my mind, using telepathy!

montanan
02-21-2014, 06:40 PM
We usually leave behind a paracord bracelet with our team name on it :)