PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing anything?

ekaphoto
04-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I am putting together a bag for helo flights in case we break down someplace and get stuck overnight. There is a first aid kits on board so no worries there. Wondering if there is anyting I am missing on my list. As the seasons change I will add or take away certin items so this is the basic list.

Water
Food
Swiss army knife
fixed blade knife
poncho liner
hammock
Zippo
lighter fluid
550 cord
small tarp for cover

Anything else I am missing? Firearms are not allowed otherwise I would take a .22 pistol.

556mp
04-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Fire Steel?

GreyOne
04-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Fire steel for sure. A deck of cards or small game to pass the time can make things go a lot easier. You have3 a poncho liner, but if you have to disembark in bad weather, a lightweight poncho can be well worth having, and it can double as a tarp / windbreak/ sunshade.

rthrasher2
04-15-2012, 09:27 PM
What kind of food? if it needs cooked, I would add a decent size metal cup of some kind. If they are MREs, nevermind.

Bard
04-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Whistle and signal mirror if they are not on the aircraft. Oh and compass maybe.

Cheapeats
04-15-2012, 09:35 PM
I second the deck of cards I was told to always keep a deck of cards and a gill net if you get lost set the gill net and start a game of solitaire and see whether the game warden beats the smart aleck telling you red jack on the balck queen.

ekaphoto
04-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Flashlight. I knew I was missing something.

glen1100
04-15-2012, 09:38 PM
eating utensils, TP, dry socks, storm matches, towel

Mrwhitetailfanatic
04-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Metal container

gpgriz
04-15-2012, 09:46 PM
I am putting together a bag for helo flights in case we break down someplace and get stuck overnight. There is a first aid kits on board so no worries there. Wondering if there is anyting I am missing on my list. As the seasons change I will add or take away certin items so this is the basic list.

Water
Food
Swiss army knife
fixed blade knife
poncho liner
hammock
Zippo
lighter fluid
550 cord
small tarp for cover

Anything else I am missing? Firearms are not allowed otherwise I would take a .22 pistol.

I have a backpack that I use when I go to the bush, including heli trips.

I have added a small folding saw; a small headlamp; I have my Mors pot with paint can wood gasification stove in it (sometimes I put my Svea123 instead); snarewire; bandanna; gravol tablets (sometimes i fly ok...sometimes not); hatchet; mora; 357Magnum revolver (always advise the pilot); baling twine; gps; phone (handheld radio if out of cell range); a roll of mountain money; some ibuprophen and immodium (headache and deydration sucks when stuck). Camera.
My hammock usually comes too. Sometimes it's just nice to have during normal lunch breaks.

Can't picture what else off the top of my head...

I have a fire making kit that always goes. It has a charged zippo (good for atleast 3 day, so I wouldn't bother with fluid. Besides, that probably has TDG issues transporting it on a heli), a fire steel; some birchbark, PJ cotton balls in a pill bottle.

If you have medical concerns (ie: allergies, meds, etc) take what you'd need.

Have fun!

the_finn
04-15-2012, 09:47 PM
I agree on the metal cup or even use a steel bottle instead. How about a folding saw and maybe a casualty blanket or one of those emergency bivys? Maybe those can wait for next winter though.

MykeS
04-15-2012, 09:54 PM
I would suggest a bandana, for it's 101 uses.

justin_baker
04-15-2012, 10:12 PM
A folding saw would be a good addition, especially if you are injured and can't go walking around the woods with firewood, you can do more with standing stuff that is close to you. It's also an essential tool to build a good shelter.

Fat Old Man
04-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Here's a great alternative to a Zippo lighter. Its o-ring sealed so the fluid doesn't evaporate or leak out & burn your skin. Extremely rugged stainless steel housing. They also have a lighter titanium version.

http://www.countycomm.com/sslight.html

I would add a sportsmans emergency blanket that's more rugged & versatile than the lightweight emergency "space" blanket.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=all+weather+blanket&hl=en&rlz=1C1RNCI_enUS431US431&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_p

And a signal mirror.

pure_mahem
04-16-2012, 12:31 AM
I'ld add a simple Bic in addition to whats already been mentioned. maybe a sling shot it gives you something you can use and they are pretty inexpensive. If you carry a flare gun they make an insert you can store with it so you can fire 22 cartridges out of it. and the whole thing is bought seperately so it's not considered a firearm. just a thought if you were interested.

Birch
04-16-2012, 01:00 AM
i would suggest some small pliers. i take a really tiny pair of vice grips with me on most hikes instead of a multitool. i have a fixed blade with me so the rest of the stuff on a leatherman isnt much use to me.

Two Bears
04-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Check out the UST stove and add a bunch of wet fire tender, I started collecting wet fire tinder or any other hexamine tabs I can find. If your going to be around modern technology a multi tool would be a good idea, in case you need to strip something from the helo. Or if the problem is something simple common sense repair if nobody on board is a mechanic. I agree with the small vise grips but add a multi tool. I also agree with carrying a couple of bic lighters along with the zippo . I just bought a UST lighter, it's the black one but I'm still carrying bic lighters in my pack.

ekaphoto
04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Check out the UST stove and add a bunch of wet fire tender, I started collecting wet fire tinder or any other hexamine tabs I can find. If your going to be around modern technology a multi tool would be a good idea, in case you need to strip something from the helo. Or if the problem is something simple common sense repair if nobody on board is a mechanic. I agree with the small vise grips but add a multi tool. I also agree with carrying a couple of bic lighters along with the zippo . I just bought a UST lighter, it's the black one but I'm still carrying bic lighters in my pack.

There will be tools and mechanics on board. It is a military helo so the crew is well equipped and trained. I just fly with them occasionally riding along so to speak. I am sure they do not want me working on the helo. They just suggest I take a small bag along in case they get a warning light and have to sit down someplace for a while.