PDA

View Full Version : Holding off bushtime for recovery

goalem
04-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Recently, before the last OH meet , I had to take a break from the woods to allow my torn elbow and hyperextended knee time to heal. In the past I have rarely canceled a trip just due to illness or slight injury but I wanted to get an idea of what others out there do. Do you muscle through it or hold off till next time ? I'd like to hear a little bit more on going out knowing full well it won't be easy on a already strained body.

lostinthewoods
04-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Take the time to heal up. If you over do it now you may regret it later. Been there done that.
Lost

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

kinzei
04-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Take the time to heal properly. I have learned the hard way to stop and listen to what my body is telling me. Injuries take time to heal, especially as we get older. If you do not allow your injuries to heal properly, and you continue to exacerbate them, they could become progressively worse, and potentially chronic. I learned the hard way from a dislocated wrist I sustained training in martial arts that I reduced my self. I only took a few days off from training, thinking I could work around it. I ended up having to take about 2 months off from training in order for it to heal, and it took a very long time to get back to 90% of my strength.

joboo
04-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Play now :17: later! You could make a bad thing worse and even disabling. Heal first and hopefully it will not become a repeat problem.

rustbucket
04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
There is only just so much play time in life so I think its fair to heal up at work, They don't agree but its my life they are just renting my time.
If I was waiting for the good weather on a weekend and when I felt good and had money and... Well you get the idea I would never do anything but wait and get ready.

PropThePolecat
04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
You definitely need to take the time to heal properly.

Im suffering from a knee injury, that needs an operation now. It started out as a simple runners knee, brought on by too running too far and too often. Whenever i would take time out to heal, i'd start running again before it was time.

Thats was 1 year ago. There is so much scar-tissue on the tendon now, causing permanent inflammation, that i will need an operation to make it right. And my knee is severely hampering my dirt time.

So forget about muscling through and take the time off your injury needs.

goalem
04-18-2012, 02:44 PM
thanks so far , I'm pretty good now , but I was thinking more in terms of things like running a cold the morning of a planned trip , or the bandaged finger or two. I would never push an injury that could really be debilitating in the future. I mean , I had a fever the first night out once and stayed till it broke a day later.

sons of scotland
04-18-2012, 02:54 PM
my reply is alittle different, if the drive doesnt bother you i so go and enjoy yourself out in the woods. most of the ohio meets we usually have around 15 guys, that is plenty of us to do the camp chores and help with your gear and setting up your tent or hammock. just go and sit back in your camp chair and relax. i can think of no other way to i would like to heal than setting around a campfire in the woods and relaxing for a few days.

WoodsJack
04-18-2012, 03:51 PM
I scale back to what I consider/hope is appropriate, accordingly.

One's location isn't the point, usually. And being "out there" in some form or another can add to healing influence, I like to think. I've lately been dealing with some stuff, so sometimes I'll just do down to the shore and/or hang in some fields nearby. How different is that from puttering around my place? Plenty. But in the good ways.

Mannlicher
04-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I am in a 'holding pattern' myself. After that bad heart attack, early December 2011, I have been very restricted as to my outdoors activities.
I am hoping soon to get out to the woods to at least drive some 4X4 trails, but nothing at all strenuous.

chiltonm
04-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Do not risk more injury. If you bust something more in a rush to get out, you could end up house bound even longer.

IllicitDreams
04-18-2012, 06:43 PM
In the event of a issues with the knees or elbow's... I'd cancel. A small case of the sniffles... not so much.