PDA

View Full Version : Take Down Recurve

PorterRockwell
05-08-2012, 05:34 PM
What would you consider to be the best take down recurve for under $200? Ive hunted for years with an old Browning kodiak and am looking to get a packable recurve. Considering my current bow weighs as much as my rifle, i just want something lighter and quicker on the draw.

ezra45
05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Samick Sage...$139.00. Weights from 25 to 65# and multiple sets of limbs can be bought to fit the same riser.

Regards,

ezra

Ahnkochee
05-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Cheap DIY Takedown Bow:

50 Pound Takedown Recurve Bow for Less than $10 Part One - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1sA7R_k4PE&list=PL0D9CD2E63EED0B34&index=1&feature=plpp_video)

JLasey
05-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Sammick sage is awesome! and you can by different limbs for $60. You will not be sacrificing quality with this bow

gunguy
05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I agree with the samick sage recommendations. I have one with 55# limbs that I bought at sportsmans warehouse and I love it!

ineffableone
05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I too sing the praises of the Samick Sage, a wonderful bow and I love mine. It is priced reasonable but shoots like a much higher priced bow. They are the prefect TD bow for beginners and experienced archers. I have no trouble recommending this bow, it is one you can grow into with many different options of replacement limbs. The no tools makes it easy to take down and pack. Samick has a very good reputation, and the Sage is highly praised by people all over.

Another option I have learned of recently and was happy to find another bow besides the Sage to recommend. Greatree Archery's "Osprey"
You can find them at Andover Archery (http://www.andoverarchery.com/Products/recurve_hunting_bows.htm) While they aren't no tools TD like the Samick Sage they are good quality bows for a reasonable price of $150 which includes an arrow rest and nock point for your string. I have heard plenty of good praise for these bows and for Andover Archery.

tree-ratsniper
05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
If I were to start all over today, I would go with an ILF recurve, get one riser and add limbs as you progress. Check out Lancaster Archery Supply, they have a large selection of take-downs, ILF & non...

ineffableone
05-08-2012, 08:47 PM
If I were to start all over today, I would go with an ILF recurve, get one riser and add limbs as you progress. Check out Lancaster Archery Supply, they have a large selection of take-downs, ILF & non...

Problem is the risers alone are past the price point the OP was asking about. $250-$500 just for a riser from LAS.

This is why there are so many suggestions for the Sage, it is a great bow for the low price.

TaigaTreader
05-09-2012, 12:31 AM
I'll advocate the Martin Jaguar. It's made from composite construction and weighs about as much as a compound bow-if you really like that hefty bombproof feeling than the Jaguar is great. Very durable-I'd trust it to a pack. It's not the lightest, the most accurate, traditional or beautiful recurve out there, but it is simple and dependable.

Ahnkochee
05-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Not a recurve but there's also the Spectre Compact Take-down Survival Bow that I know several forum members have purchased. $69.95 including arrows and quiver.
http://www.specialforces.com/field-survival-gear/survival-weapons/compact-take-down-survival-bow
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41twFi9x1PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ineffableone
05-09-2012, 02:13 AM
I'll advocate the Martin Jaguar. It's made from composite construction and weighs about as much as a compound bow-if you really like that hefty bombproof feeling than the Jaguar is great. Very durable-I'd trust it to a pack. It's not the lightest, the most accurate, traditional or beautiful recurve out there, but it is simple and dependable.

If you discount the many reports of limb failure, maybe. The Martin Jaguar has a history of limb failure while in draw. This is due to quality control issues of Martin's subcontractor and Martin not checking up on them.

A good place to learn more about the failure's of Martin Jaguar is at ArcheryTalk forums one example of the many threads there about the issues of these bows is Attn: Martin Jaguar Recurve Owners (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1205765)

It starts off with a post talking about one person who knew or witnessed no less than 12 limb failures on this line of bow. He was posting also about the Samick Sage and the praises it was getting and about swapping out the fail riddled Jaguar limbs with Sage limbs.

But Jaguars issues have been documented elsewhere as seen in this thread on Stickbow's Forum with graphic picture proof of the limb coming delaminated.
Danger! Danger! Martin Jaguar (http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=209330&category=88)

Maybe your Jaguar will be safe (some are), maybe not, personally I would not suggest a bow so riddled with issues and problems. Don't forget a lot of injuries too. Sure other bows have had issues, but Martin's Jaguar has been plagued with issues and the money for them is better spent on a different bow with a better reputation.

tree-ratsniper
05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Problem is the risers alone are past the price point the OP was asking about. $250-$500 just for a riser from LAS.

This is why there are so many suggestions for the Sage, it is a great bow for the low price.

LAS has ILF risers from $64.99, check the Olympic recurve bows section. You can also shop by price...

ineffableone
05-09-2012, 10:33 PM
LAS has ILF risers from $64.99, check the Olympic recurve bows section. You can also shop by price...

Ahh, I missed those as I clicked on their link to ILF Traditional recurves which does not include the Olympic recurves. I am assuming your talking about the LAS Rolan risers as they are the only one's at that price I see and they don't mention them as being ILF. Though I am seeing their prices for ILF limbs are fairly expensive, $129 and up, unless I am missing some there.

Over all still seems the ILF option is a rather expensive route to take. While there might be some options that make it a $200 or less bow, there majority of options are much more expensive.

tree-ratsniper
05-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Limbs can be a price problem. I bought a Bear Black bear compound with broken cables off of ebay for $25 & picked up some warf plates (converts it to ILF) from one of the guys on tradgang. I have $50 into the riser at the moment. I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds at leatherwall & tradgang as ILF limbs pop up occasionally.
It can be an expensive system if you let it with some risers costing $600+. I'm going to try to get mine done for $150-175 (cuz I'm cheap).

The beauty of it is in the flexibility of the systems, you can buy one riser and have longbow or recurve limbs in a variety of lengths & draw weights. Its not for everybody but it seems like a lot of manufacturers are jumping on the ILF bandwagon lately though... :dblthumb:

TaigaTreader
05-10-2012, 12:36 AM
If you discount the many reports of limb failure, maybe. The Martin Jaguar has a history of limb failure while in draw. This is due to quality control issues of Martin's subcontractor and Martin not checking up on them.

A good place to learn more about the failure's of Martin Jaguar is at ArcheryTalk forums one example of the many threads there about the issues of these bows is Attn: Martin Jaguar Recurve Owners (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1205765)

It starts off with a post talking about one person who knew or witnessed no less than 12 limb failures on this line of bow. He was posting also about the Samick Sage and the praises it was getting and about swapping out the fail riddled Jaguar limbs with Sage limbs.

But Jaguars issues have been documented elsewhere as seen in this thread on Stickbow's Forum with graphic picture proof of the limb coming delaminated.
Danger! Danger! Martin Jaguar (http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=209330&category=88)

Maybe your Jaguar will be safe (some are), maybe not, personally I would not suggest a bow so riddled with issues and problems. Don't forget a lot of injuries too. Sure other bows have had issues, but Martin's Jaguar has been plagued with issues and the money for them is better spent on a different bow with a better reputation.

Holy cow, I've never heard of these. Well worth the heads up-that's not the company I know. I've had 3 of their bows to date!

ineffableone
05-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Holy cow, I've never heard of these. Well worth the heads up-that's not the company I know. I've had 3 of their bows to date!

Yep it seems they're subcontracting the limbs for the Jaguar out to another manufacturer and have been plagued with issues due to this.

I am by no means implying all Martin bows have this issue, it is limited to the Jaguar as far as I know. I also have heard of some Martin Jaguar's performing well with no issues, however the reports of limb failures is too high. You might get lucky and have a good one, or you might not. To me it is not worth the risk until Martin fixes this issue, which I have not heard them doing yet. The most recent report I have seen of the limb failure was in summer of 2011 but I have not been scouring the internet trying to find the most recent, that is just what I found when looking up the issue when I first heard about it.

TaigaTreader
05-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Man, that's sad. I think the rest of their line all comes out of the Howatt shop. At least there's a quality alternative. I'm going to order some Sage risers this month-like you said, not worth taking the risk. They look pretty handsome for a 60 dollar fix.

ineffableone
05-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Limbs can be a price problem. I bought a Bear Black bear compound with broken cables off of ebay for $25 & picked up some warf plates (converts it to ILF) from one of the guys on tradgang. I have $50 into the riser at the moment. I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds at leatherwall & tradgang as ILF limbs pop up occasionally.
It can be an expensive system if you let it with some risers costing $600+. I'm going to try to get mine done for $150-175 (cuz I'm cheap).

The beauty of it is in the flexibility of the systems, you can buy one riser and have longbow or recurve limbs in a variety of lengths & draw weights. Its not for everybody but it seems like a lot of manufacturers are jumping on the ILF bandwagon lately though... :dblthumb:

Oh I definitely like the concept of the ILF system, it is very smart. I wish more industry would think about the benefits of making components standardised for customisability like this. Cell phone power cords for example just piss me off how every new phone has a different cord. LOL but TD bows with a standard limb pocket and limb design opens up some great possibilities.

ineffableone
05-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Man, that's sad. I think the rest of their line all comes out of the Howatt shop. At least there's a quality alternative. I'm going to order some Sage risers this month-like you said, not worth taking the risk. They look pretty handsome for a 60 dollar fix.

Glad to help, and yes at least there are some other limbs that you can fit your Jaguar riser. I think the Sage limbs actually offer more options of lbs, not sure but I think I remember seeing that the Jaguar had fewer options.

pure_mahem
05-10-2012, 12:56 AM
I heard/read the same thing in to many customer reviews about 10 seconds before I was about to pull the trigger on a Jaguar. I figured I'ld just wait after that and see what I could find at yard sales this summer. At least I know a good used bow will most likely have all of the quirks worked out or it will be cracking and splitting while I'm looking. I have heard the same about the recomendations mentioned but have no experience with to say yeah or nay! Good luck with your quest!

TaigaTreader
05-10-2012, 01:04 AM
After cruising more threads, I found one where a Martin rep claimed they revamped the limb a while back and haven't had issues since. I've also found reviews from guys that used their first Jag on an everyday basis, busted a limb, replaced it with an updated version and busted the new one too. They have 4 production takedown models in their 2012 lineup-it will be interesting to see how different the Saber is from the Jaguar and how the Adventure and Explorer hold up. Ah well, the Sage has a good reputation, and spring is great bunny-hunting time. It's worth dropping the 60 bucks now.

I like the Jaguar for a couple of reasons, mainly that the riser is bombproof and the limbs are easily replaceable, and that I can run a bowfishing rig on it.

Boonie
05-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Another good bow to consider is the PSE Mustang. It's made by Ragim as I recall. I picked up one a while back and really like it. I have a Jaguar compound that was given me, it was loud and pretty unforgiving for me to shoot but the riser is the same as the take down version. I might just order a set of recurve limbs and put the training wheels in storage. :p

Aceman1126
06-03-2012, 02:56 PM
I have a TQ Comet takdown bow. I think they're called Quinn Archery now. Either way it is a fantastic bow! I bought mine used from a local beer bewery of all places for $40 with about 10 arrows and could not be happier. If you can find one grab it.

Howie
06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
another vote for a quinn. but the 40 is pretty rare. have two

savage_man
07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Please forgive the ignorance but, is the Samick Sage and the Vista Sage the same bow?

ineffableone
07-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Please forgive the ignorance but, is the Samick Sage and the Vista Sage the same bow?

Not an ignorant question at all, in fact it has been asked a lot it seems around archery forums.

At Archerytalk forum they found a practical answer to the question http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1479879

Someone ordered one from Cabella's and it arrived in a Samick Sport box. Which indicates it is just a Samick Sports Sage rebranded by Cabella's as a Vista Sage.

Why they would do this I have no idea, since the reputation of the Samick Sage is amazing and for them to change the name might loose them customers who would then buy the same bow from another place due to thinking Cabella's version is just an imitation.

Seems to me that Cabella's is making a pretty poor move trying to rebrand a bow with an excellent reputation already built in to it.

savage_man
07-09-2012, 09:53 PM
That is odd... Wouldn't have any idea why they would do this. Guess the quality is the same?

ineffableone
07-09-2012, 10:05 PM
That is odd... Wouldn't have any idea why they would do this. Guess the quality is the same?

From what I have seen, they are the same exact bow, made at the same place, Samick Sport. Cabella's just seems to be trying to call them Vista Sage instead of Samick Sage. I have only seen Cabella's and ebay use the name Vista, so I am guessing it is Cabella who is trying to rebrand the Samick bow for some odd reason.

JEB
07-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Guys on here have some TD knowledge. Do any of you know if any company makes limbs for the Bear Hunter Takedown. I have the bow but the limbs are 60# and thats way to stout for me.

bootstrap
07-10-2012, 08:28 PM
The samick redstag is awesome. I have one and it has served me well.