PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Laundry Detergent

rgardnerNC
06-19-2012, 01:32 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this or if its already been posted, but I felt Self-Made was as close as a topic as any other... I picked this recipe up off another site and gave it a try a few weeks back and I have to say that although this isnt bush specific it is an amazing cleaning product. (My pictures, not my recipe.) I use aprox 1/4 cup per load.

1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup Washing Soda
Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

http://i47.tinypic.com/34j98wy.jpg

-Measure out 1 cup of Washing Soda and 1/2 cup of Borax

http://i50.tinypic.com/2hr1geg.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zlr5ao.jpg

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. I run the Melted Soap/Water mixture through a small mesh strainer to ensure anything not melted stays out of the washer. Stir well until all powder is dissolved.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vw67sw.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/21kmluo.jpg

- Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

http://i50.tinypic.com/4tm51c.jpg

When your ready to use stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons or about 640 loads.

TreekillerX
06-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Awesome tutorial. We do a powdered version, and I have to agree, our clothes come out nice a clean. Super money saver.

rgardnerNC
06-19-2012, 06:33 PM
I havent tried to powdered version... wasn't sure how it would work in an HE washer. How many loads to you get out of the powdered version?

Bush Bear
06-19-2012, 07:13 PM
We make ours the same way, but with homemade soap. Not sure if it matters to you, but Fels-Naptha is made with petroleum distillates so can be irritating to people with sensitive skin. Then again my wife has skin allergies, my daughter has eczema, and I work in a chemical plant so we try to reduce irritants as much as possible. A good substitute if you don't make your own soap is Zote a Mexican soap.

We also were having trouble with some of my thin undershirts getting holes in them from the strong washing soda. So we went to 1/2cp washing soda, and 1cp borax.

I really do feel this stuff cleans better than store bought, and skin feels so much better since switching. Also we figured something like 1.4 cents per load. So we love this stuff.

16ga
06-19-2012, 07:25 PM
My wife and I make ours exactly the same way. I can also vouch for it working well. Great tutorial.

mischief
06-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks,will have to try it.We found just adding Borax to the detergent is a improvement

BushMetal
06-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Great post thanks for the clear instructions

Do you use the solid bar to pre-treat stains too?

Bush Bear-
I thought they took the petroleum distillates (aka the naptha) out a while ago?
It should say contains no naptha somewhere.

Not sure what they replaced it with so it can still bother some people, and it is more aggressive in general

rgardnerNC
06-19-2012, 09:23 PM
I haven't tried pre-treating with Naptha...

And I just took a look at the bar's wrapper and it does say " Does Not Contain Napthalene"

Aven
06-19-2012, 10:10 PM
We do the same thing, just use a different ratio. IIRC, its a 1/3 of a bar and a half cup of Borax and washing soda. I've been making the detergent for about six months now and haven't had any problems switching from All Free and Clear.

PhillipR
06-19-2012, 10:11 PM
We use 1 bar of Yardley Soap instead of the Fels-Naptha and everyone in our household is much happier and my youngest daughter isn't having problems with being allergic to the laundry soap.

I am just happier because its cheaper....

Bush Bear
06-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Bush Bear-
I thought they took the petroleum distillates (aka the naptha) out a while ago?
It should say contains no naptha somewhere.

Not sure what they replaced it with so it can still bother some people, and it is more aggressive in general

Your right, I just looked the ingredients up on the Fels-Naphta sight and here is the list.

Ingredients
Soap (sodium tallowate*, sodium cocoate* (or) sodium palmate kernelate*, and sodium palmate*), water, talc, cocnut acid*, palm acid*, tallow acid*, PEG-6 methyl ether, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate and/or tetrasodium etidronate, titatium dioxide, fragrance, Acid Orange (CI 20170), Acid yellow 73 (ci43350)

*contains one or more of these ingredients

Looks like they replaced the naphta with PEG-6 which is a surfactant and pentasodium pentate which makes stuff fall out of solution.

It's possible when we started making ours we must have got ahold of an old bar, or maybe it was the fragrance and color. Either way the new stuff should be good.

rgardnerNC
06-19-2012, 11:50 PM
I haven't had an issue with it so far.. nor has anyone else in my family but I hear there are plenty of other options out there for the bars...

WKS1977
06-20-2012, 12:06 AM
How ironic; just yesterday my girlfriend and I were talking about using a different laundry detergent and today on my smoke break at work I get on BCUSA on my phone and voila...here we are :) Also just got a 5 gallon bucket for free from the deli at work so the wheels are already turning...just have a question about the mix for a 5 gallon bucket to try it out. My girlfriend has really sensitive skin so was wondering about making it milder...also is it fine for clothes that say NOT to use bleach or fabric softeners such as Smart Wool socks and Nylon pants like North Face? We mostly do medium size loads and sometime large. Sorry for so many specifics but ya know how OCD works :) It works great for some things like making sure the oven is turned off and locking up at night; but can kinda drive ya crazy too:) Thanks in advance!

rgardnerNC
06-20-2012, 12:13 AM
My girlfriend has really sensitive skin so was wondering about making it milder...also is it fine for clothes that say NOT to use bleach or fabric softeners such as Smart Wool socks and Nylon pants like North Face?

It shouldn't cause a problem with the "no bleach" because it doesn't contain anything related to bleach (no chlorine.) I have not used it on wool garments however because I don't own any (still looking for a field coat lol.)

As far as the sensitivity I haven't had an issue but I know other people have used Octagon soap instead of Fels-Nap and someone here mentioned Yardley.

Bush Bear
06-20-2012, 06:17 AM
We all have very sensitive skin and we had good results with the Octagon soap as well. The great thing about this is you control what's in it. For your first wash you can use half the amount on some test clothes. Wear them around and see how it feels. If all's good you can use as normal. Fels-Naptha, Octagon, Zote and others are the bar soaps sold for hand washing. So I would think that using them on on wool shouldn't be a problem. The only wool I've washed are my socks, but they turned out fine.

RoundBear
06-20-2012, 06:30 AM
We use the same recipe, been using it for about two years now. We havent bought store bought detergent since!

Thaddius Bickerton
06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
You can sub in the castle (sic) soap if you don't want to use the fels. Or other bar laundry soaps.

A friend of my daughter saw our 5 gal bucket and was interested, so daughter had her bring a soap bottle from home, and mixed her some up, added a drop of one of her essential oils from her little box and they took turns shaking it for a while.

In a day or two her mom was calling wanting to know how to make a 5 gal pail for them, and where to get the essential oils.

Apparently it went over well.

Thanks for retelling this. With the price of the stuff in the stores, this can save someone a bunch of money, probably a knife or two pretty quick.

Thad

rgardnerNC
06-20-2012, 06:15 PM
yea no kidding...

I went through and checked out the quantities on the boxes and it appears the pictured boxes of Borax and Washing Soda are EASILY enough to make 4 - 5 gallon buckets. That comes out to a total of 40 gallons of detergent that I paid $15 for including the bucket and lid, I just need two more bars. So for about $17 I can wash approx 2000 loads of laundry (40 gallons * 16 Cups per Gallon * 3 (for a third cup per load) = 1920)

R. Haines
06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
I add a teaspoon of trisodium phosphate to my regular detergent for tough stains. I like the idea of borax - need to try it as well.

Scott Allen
06-21-2012, 09:36 AM
How ironic; just yesterday my girlfriend and I were talking about using a different laundry detergent and today on my smoke break at work I get on BCUSA on my phone and voila...here we are :) Also just got a 5 gallon bucket for free from the deli at work so the wheels are already turning...just have a question about the mix for a 5 gallon bucket to try it out. My girlfriend has really sensitive skin so was wondering about making it milder...also is it fine for clothes that say NOT to use bleach or fabric softeners such as Smart Wool socks and Nylon pants like North Face? We mostly do medium size loads and sometime large. Sorry for so many specifics but ya know how OCD works :) It works great for some things like making sure the oven is turned off and locking up at night; but can kinda drive ya crazy too:) Thanks in advance!

We've been using it for a few years now and wash everything in it. No problems with wool or anything else. Just the usual cautions about shrinking wool with hot water, etc... It really does a good job on all our laundry and you can use it with the new front loading washers if you are careful about amounts.

Scott

HoosierArcher
06-21-2012, 10:37 AM
I just ran out of my favorite store bought ALL Small and Mighty Free and Clear. I have played around with this before; but did only the soda and borax. I didn't add soap. Now I will. Now to decide which soap to use. I need to get fryer grease out of my clothes.(Manager at a Seafood restaurant that makes a lot of fish and chips, basically)
Any ideas on what to add for grease removal? And odors?

Scott Allen
06-21-2012, 12:58 PM
I just ran out of my favorite store bought ALL Small and Mighty Free and Clear. I have played around with this before; but did only the soda and borax. I didn't add soap. Now I will. Now to decide which soap to use. I need to get fryer grease out of my clothes.(Manager at a Seafood restaurant that makes a lot of fish and chips, basically)

The Fels Naptha is as good as any for that. You could also add some Lestoil <SP?> to it. My wife uses that to get all the grease and oil stains out of our clothes. It works!

Scott

Zornt
06-21-2012, 01:00 PM
My son-in-laws mother makes the same thing except that she uses a bar of Ivory soap. She gave the ingreedients to every one for one of their Christmas presents last year. This stuff works great in everything !!

TheSustainer
06-21-2012, 01:26 PM
I'll be trying this very soon, good tutorial.

Echo4v
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
I havent tried to powdered version... wasn't sure how it would work in an HE washer. How many loads to you get out of the powdered version?

We do the powdered version in our HE frontloader washing machine and it works great.

Also, it's a much less involved process. Basically just grinding the soap and mixing the ingredients.

David

BushMetal
06-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I need to get fryer grease out of my clothes...

Pre-treat is the key for stains of any kind and there isn't much better for fat/grease than plain old soap, its designed to bind to greasy stains by its very nature.

Pre-treating:
-rub some bar soap or the mix on the stain with a touch of water
-let it sit
-then wash

If you already washed and dried the item or its a protein or synthetic stain, it will be a lot tougher to remove.

Haasdaddy
06-22-2012, 03:10 PM
My wife and I have been using this for a few years now and have saved so much money we also make our own dish washer soap its really easy and also saves a lot of money.

lynchfort
09-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I've been using the dry mix for a few months now; 1/2 bar Fels-Naphta, 1 cup each borax and washing soda. It works fine for me. My daughter doesn't think it cleans stains quite as well in the grand kids clothes so she adds a teaspoon of Oxypowder, as do I sometimes. I'd like to try the liquid version but I know how my family is so we'll be using the dry mix for now.

CactusBob
09-27-2012, 10:07 PM
We used to use the powered version of this as well. The only difference is we used Castile soap instead of the Fels Naptha. Do you have a good way to grate the soap? That's the hardest part of making it. The wife found a product called Econuts that has been working really well lately

Bob

teranaut
09-27-2012, 10:13 PM
I love home made soap. Super cheap, scented however you want it, and when properly mixed is fine on even the most sensitive skin. Our family has been making laundry soap for the last year and a half. We use it in our HE washer, but never tried putting it in the tray used for liquids. I figure it would likely gum up the system a little if it didn't get flushed out all the way. One tablespoon for normal loads, two if it's really dirty. I'd encourage anybody to give it a shot and save some pennies for something more important.

Easterner
09-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Using anything other than HE specific laundry detergent in a front loader will probably void any warranty FYI. Probably a good practice to call your manufacturers customer service desk.

teranaut
09-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Here's an article from DIY Natural saying that it's okay in an HE washer link (http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-laundry-detergent-soap/). Another article. (http://www.milehimama.com/tutorial/how-to-make-homemade-laundry-soap-for-an-he/) And pretty much every other article I pull up on recipes similar to the one listed in this thread are all saying the same thing. "Safe for HE washers." As I said, I've been using it over a year and have noticed absolutely no issues with my washer while using it.

tiny80022
09-27-2012, 11:44 PM
I use the powdered version and love it. Cleans great and only takes two tablespoons per load, saves lots of money

zpstl321
09-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Borax was added to the Substance of Very High Concern (SVHC) candidate list on 16 December 2010. The SVHC candidate list is part of the EU Regulations on the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals 2006 (REACH), and the addition was based on the revised classification of Borax as toxic for reproduction category 1B under the CLP Regulations. Substances and mixtures imported into the EU which contain Borax are now required to be labelled with the warnings "May damage fertility" and "May damage the unborn child".

shinjak
09-28-2012, 09:33 AM
My wife has been washing with this for over a year now. Seemed the fels naptha left a funny smell in our HE washer. So she switched to Ivory soap instead. She also added some baking soda to the mix which seems to make the clothes "fresher" feeling? After many batches, I think she has finally perfected her concoction with the latest batch.

Survive
09-29-2012, 01:22 AM
I have been making laundry soap for my family and friends for almost a year now. They buy the ingredients and I make it for them.

1c. grated soap (I used both ivory and homemade lye soap)
1c. washing soda
1/2c Borax
1/4 to 1/2 a 5 gallon pail of hot water (some like it more concentrated)

I take some of my water (1 liter/ 1 quart)
add the soaps to it
heat till dissolved
dump into pail with hot water

Let sit over night
it gels
Stir before use
Add 1/4 to 1/2 c per load

dancan
10-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the inspiration guys !
I'm now testing my own batch of laundry detergent in 2 households .