tnrick55
01-09-2010, 12:44 PM
is it best to use hard wood when making a bowdrill and block??:confused:

BushBum
01-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Hard wood for the Hand hold spindle and board should be made of medium Wood

GreyOne
01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Rule of thumb is that you should be able to dent the hearth and spindle wood with your thumbnail.

abo4ster
01-09-2010, 12:57 PM
is it best to use hard wood when making a bowdrill and block??:confused:

Where are you geographically? I am sure someone hear can give you some recommendations.

rezilo
01-09-2010, 01:19 PM
When I was learning bowdrill technique I was making a mistake of having the bearing block from too soft wood. Later I realized that it is beter to use a stone with a little depression. This minimizes friction on the top. This is what you want. :)
The Grey One is right about the hearth an spindle. At home (Im from Europe, Slovenia) I like to use hazelnut, willow, maple. Many woods will do you just have to get the feel for it.

Cheers.

AlteredMentalStatus
01-09-2010, 01:21 PM
When I was learning bowdrill technique I was making a mistake of having the bearing block from too soft wood. Later I realized that it is beter to use a stone with a little depression. This minimizes friction on the top. This is what you want. :)
The Grey One is right about the hearth an spindle. At home (Im from Europe, Slovenia) I like to use hazelnut, willow, maple. Many woods will do you just have to get the feel for it.

Cheers.

I also use a stone for my bearing block

RangerJoe
01-09-2010, 01:39 PM
If you have mature ash trees in your area the bark makes a frictionless bearing, large poplar works as well.

Iz
01-09-2010, 03:47 PM
If you have mature ash trees in your area the bark makes a frictionless bearing, large poplar works as well.

I agree, I started using cottonwood bark. It's made the best hand hold I've ever used. Almost frictionless.
Iz

VtBlackDog
01-09-2010, 09:32 PM
poplar/poplar and a shot glass for bearing block...