PDA

View Full Version : whetstone

iabushman
10-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Need a little advise. I am new to sharpening knives and axes. I am looking at getting a double sided whetstone. What brand and grit would suggest. Some of the edges have nic's
Thanks Mitch

FortyTwoBlades
10-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Need a little advise. I am new to sharpening knives and axes. I am looking at getting a double sided whetstone. What brand and grit would suggest. Some of the edges have nic's
Thanks Mitch

Personally I like the DMT coarse/fine Diafold a lot. I keep one in my pack. To speed you along in your learning process, HERE (http://yhst-129988217023674.us-dc1-edit.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-129988217023674/SharpeningGuide.pdf) is a quick reference guide that covers some of the fundamentals of sharpening. Hope it helps!

bushwolf
10-15-2012, 11:03 AM
+1 on the DMT Diafold

KajunKat
10-15-2012, 12:08 PM
I have settled on diamond stones as well. I used to use a Norton Oil stone that had the double grit but diamond seems to cut much better. Once you get the coarse/fine stone you may want to consider a larger extra coarse bench stone for getting out chips and reprofiling. Also an extra fine for refining the edge and a leather strop with compound if you you want it "hair popping" sharp. The coarse/fine stone is a great place to start and will do almost everything you need.

rlh2
10-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Take a look at Smith stones out of Arkansas.

dewsblade
10-15-2012, 05:59 PM
i use a norton oil stone. i get the best results with it. then i use wet dry sand paper to polish the edge. arkansas are good also for polishing the edge.
I have diamond stones, never like them. i also have a set of king water stones, don't use then much. i sharpen knives for the guys at work, i never get any complaints. one guy says it was too sharp. no kidding. with the sand paper i use flat on wood , then on leather. I never try to convex a blade with just paper.i start with norton then go to the paper.

Mykos
10-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I like the Fallkniven DC4. Having the ceramic side is usually all I need to keep my knives sharp.

Stain
10-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Everyone has their own opinion, but for my money (and I am a cheap weasel) I really like the exe-lap diamond stones. http://eze-lap.com/woodworking_shop_machine_use/double-sided-diamond-stones-diy/ I primarily use the 2"x6" 600/1200 and have a couple of them. Back when I got my first one 15 years ago it was only 20 bucks but I have bought extra ones sense then just to have extras; not because the first one is worn out, just to have more then one. It feels rough when brand new but smooths out quickly. My first one feels smooth to the touch but it still cuts great. Use it dry, no water or oil. Steel base layer so no worries about dropping it (which was my most common way of converting an arkansas bench stone into 3 pocket stones) and no issues with it dishing out with use.

I love the aesthetics of a layer of oil on a marbled natural stone, but the efficiency of a dry diamond stone is hard to beat.

Ned
10-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks Mitch

For the knife part, you won't need anything lighter than about 600 grit. 400 grit is alright, but I wouldn't use anything rougher than that. So for the coarse side use no coarser than 400-600 grit, preferably in the 600 and up range. For the fine side, that really all depends on just how fine you want to hone your edge. I would probably go for something in the 1000-1200 grit range or finer.

For axes I tend to use the same, but you could go coarser if you wanted to. Again, it all depends on how finely honed you want your edge to be. Some people are willing to spend more time on a fine edge than others. The finer you go the better your edge will be but the more time you will have to spend on it.

And I will second the EZ-Lap 600/1200 grit diamond stone as well. Excellent, fast working product! Even at 1200 grit, the diamond cuts fast. I keep a couple of the small 1200 grit EZ-lap keyring sharpeners on me at all times, one taped to my neck knife sheath.