PDA

View Full Version : What is the best wool blanket

Atkins72
11-20-2012, 05:10 PM
The title says it all. Not looking for a book explanation here, I just want to know who you think makes the best wool blanket that fits the following criteria:

100% virgin wool
Relativily packabel: meaning it can either fit inside or be strapped to the outside of a reasonable sized pack.
Warm enough to keep the average guy warm down to 32 degrees etiher on its own or inside a bedroll (obviously next to a fire)
Durable and long lasting: I don't mind spending a little extra money if I don't have to buy one of these but every decade or so.

Easterner
11-20-2012, 05:45 PM
HBC Point blanket, I have my fathers and it was made sometime in the 40's.

On the cheap, military surp is your best bet.

Keyser Söze
11-20-2012, 05:47 PM
100% virgin alpaca... wool

Atkins72
11-20-2012, 05:55 PM

Any recommendation on a brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keyser Söze
11-20-2012, 06:01 PM
not really, but look on 3bay and see what you like , size thickness , etc

madmax
11-20-2012, 06:01 PM
oooooh. Alpaca. Got a poncho from Peru. NICE!!!

Hudson Bay is always good with old school 100% wool.

Crippen
11-20-2012, 07:28 PM
That's a fine question. I'd always wondered how much better an actual "Hudson Bay" type blanket was compared to decent surplus. I have little doubt that they are better. It's the $270 better I wonder about. http://stores.newjerseybayblankets.com/Categories.bok?category=HUDSON%27S+BAY+%22POINTS%2 2+BLANKET%3A4+POINT+TWIN%2FFULL

riverjoe
11-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Im building my ideal blanket . Got two small 100 % wool stadium blankets kind of loose weave . Sewing those together and now Im going to sew a tight weave thin wool Ive scavenged from a wool womens suit and also about 1.5 yards of material Ii bought at Sal Army . The end product will trap air in the loose weave and the quilted top will block the wind . I'll post a pic one of these days . Should have about 9 dollars in it total . That includes my labor at $1.00 per hour .

Long John Tinfoil
11-20-2012, 07:44 PM

+1

The only thing I've seen that comes close to my 4-pointer is...

Hmmmn. I haven't actually seen anything that comes close.

LJT

Kerri
11-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Ive only tried a couple types but my hudson bay four and a half point blanket is phenominal

Arrowolf
11-20-2012, 07:53 PM
That's a fine question. I'd always wondered how much better an actual "Hudson Bay" type blanket was compared to decent surplus. I have little doubt that they are better. It's the $270 better I wonder about. http://stores.newjerseybayblankets.com/Categories.bok?category=HUDSON%27S+BAY+%22POINTS%2 2+BLANKET%3A4+POINT+TWIN%2FFULL

Ebay. You can get HBC, Eaton (which are every bit as good) for quite a lot less than retail.

jamsix
11-20-2012, 11:17 PM
somebody here posted a video on how to choose a blanket and it showed all the different weights. I can't seem to find that original link though.

BradGad
11-21-2012, 12:27 AM
I don't know.

These have gone up $10 in the last two weeks.

I think they're good. Not thick, not fluffy... solid and hard wearing... large. I own two.

ppine
11-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Hudson Bay first. Pendleton second. There are some old mills in Pennsylvania that still make the white candy stripe wool blankets that are excellent.

BradGad
11-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Hudson Bay first. Pendleton second. There are some old mills in Pennsylvania that still make the white candy stripe wool blankets that are excellent.

Or maybe.... Witney first, Hudson Bay second, Pendleton third.

Atkins72
11-21-2012, 01:05 AM
After looking at the Hudson and Pendleton I need to re think things. $250-300 is outrageous. I was thinking I could get into a good one for a hundred of so.

Can the Italian wool blankets stillness found?

Crippen
11-21-2012, 08:39 AM
I bought one from here a month ago and it was $10 cheaper at that time.http://www.gr8gear.com/catalog/Bunk-Beds-Cots-Blankets/Blankets/Blanket-Authentic-Italian-Officer/ I also bought a couple of these http://www.rddusa.com/French-Army-Blanket-100-Wool-Wool-Army-Blanket-Wholesale-Blankets.aspx (German not French) and truth be told although certainly in used condition I prefer the German. I think BradGrad posted something about surplus wool a while back, it's where I found my purchasing links.

Crippen
11-21-2012, 08:46 AM
http://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/100-wool-blankets-master-listing.34363/I deemed it so important it was added to my computer favorites

Easterner
11-21-2012, 01:10 PM
After looking at the Hudson and Pendleton I need to re think things. $250-300 is outrageous. I was thinking I could get into a good one for a hundred of so.

Can the Italian wool blankets stillness found?

I see HBC Point blankets go through auctions all the time, $50-100 if there is a "collector" there and it's a rare one shoots right up to $500-900.

KuRUpTD
11-21-2012, 01:14 PM
somebody here posted a video on how to choose a blanket and it showed all the different weights. I can't seem to find that original link though.

Here it is ... great info !

This is generally my feeling, though I don't own any down bags anymore, and only have synthetic right now and wool blankets.

I also agree with the folks who mention both. If possible I like having both bag and blanket. Of course if weight and space make me choose, it comes down to the quote from Seeker, in SHTF I would opt for wool blanket, anything else I would go with bag. Though SHTF I do have to say I would still prefer both, maybe even more than on regular camping trips. In SHTF the benefits of having both is so much more important.

Having read through this thread I have noticed a lot of people seem to not fully understand there are some seriously different types of wool blankets. Not every wool blanket is the same. Those USGI wool blankets are not anywhere close in warmth to a Whitney blanket. I can see why someone only experiencing surplus military blankets might think wool blankets a dumb idea. But I did see many replies mentioning Whitney wool blankets so some folks are in the know which is good. It is not the military surplus wool blankets that mountain men used to survive but wool blankets like the Whitney blankets that were used.

Here is a good video series about wool blankets, to help explain the differences if anyone wants to know.

blanket wisdom part1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYNvT1Ffn7M

blanket wisdom part2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcvMGFJpq1Q

blanket wisdom part3 (this one is about care and cleaning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VB6MnESdY8

Niflreika
11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
I'd say pick up an Early's Whitney or Hudson Bay 4-point off eBay. You can get them in very good condition for ~$100 a lot of the time. The ones that are early 1900s colors like the golds and greens and reds often go for less than the striped white ones.

Between my Whitney's and HBCs, I can't tell a quality difference.

As I posted in a different thread, the Whitney/HBC vs surplus blankets goes something like:
They blow away the US surplus blankets.
They are about the same weight as the Italian surplus, but the wool in the HBC/Whitney is a finer wool, so they are much softer and have more loft. When folded the same way, the HBC/Whitney is a good 1/3 again as thick as the Italian surplus and twice the thickness of a US surplus.

As for will ONE of them keep you warm to 32F, it depends.
If you sleep cold, no.
If you don't block the wind, no.
If you want to sleep naked, no.
If you don't use a sleep pad, no.

Best I can do is say that at +10F, I wore a Filson beanie, IceBreaker 150 weight wool long sleeve top and leggings, Smartwool Mountaineering socks. I put a RidgeRest pad down, an Italian surplus blanket folded over on top of that, HBC four point on top of me, and my tarp blocking the wind, and NO FIRE, and slept all night. I'm also a hot sleeper, and ate some hot hash and hot chocolate before bed.

rustbucket
11-21-2012, 05:50 PM
I think the video you refer to is an aboforester he is a member here

johnsonga
11-21-2012, 06:31 PM
... agree, I have a 3 and 1/2 point Hudson Bay from the '20s - inherited from my mom. ... talk about cosy!

Celtic Wookie
11-24-2012, 02:11 AM
[ ... ] 100% virgin wool
[ ... ] Relativily packabel
[ ... ] Warm enough to keep the average guy warm down to 32 degrees
[ ... ] Durable and long lasting

I have received as gifts two Filson Mackinaw Blankets (http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw-blanket.80110.html) and think they're brilliant. Virgin wool, look as new as the day I unwrapped them (except for some stray pet hairs), and seriously warm for blankets. But that last bit comes courtesy of each weighing 9 lbs. (!!!), so I'm not sure it'd meet the packability criterion; certainly getting it inside a rucksack would be a problem, but lashing it to the outside should work,provided the weight weren't a deal-breaker. I've used them in the woods numerous times and at our cabin in winter, all with great satisfaction, but haven't tried packing it any distance. Made in the U.S.A.

I've also heard good things about the line of Woolrich Hudson's Bay Blankets (http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/browse/subCategory.jsp?icCategory=MM_cat10100), but can't vouch from personal experience. They're even more expensive, but available in multiple sizes which might allow some task-tailoring. The weight isn't immediately apparent from the web site. Made in the U.K.

Good luck.

oldbow
11-24-2012, 08:06 AM
HB !

Dunner
11-24-2012, 12:56 PM
If money was no object I would LOVE to get a couple King of the Mountain wool blankets. I have one of their jackets and the booney hat. I really like them a lot for a broad range of weather... mostly cold and ugly. VERY expensive stuff though. Comes in two camo patterns.

http://shop.kingofthemountain.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=B-010AB

altovintner
11-24-2012, 07:13 PM
+1 for a Whitney blanket. Have a 4 pt that I really like. EBay for about $75.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

clanmaki
11-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Love your diy inginuity and would love to see pics of the final product Riverjoe!

riverjoe
11-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Will do Clanmaki . Probabley do a thread on that and the Muk Luks when they're done . Or just post it on Macho Sewing Thread .

Sorry OP a bit off topic .

Jon308
11-29-2012, 11:37 PM
I just have two army surplus blankets, very good shape and warm Ive had them about 10yrs or more. Pendletons are really nice out of my budget for draging around the woods.

_Plainsman
11-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Anorak. Check.
Wool Blanket. Check.

I can feel you coming to the dark side Jake! Next you'll have a canvas pack! mhuaaaaa~

Atkins72
11-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Anorak. Check.
Wool Blanket. Check.

I can feel you coming to the dark side Jake! Next you'll have a canvas pack! mhuaaaaa~

Haha. I have been eyeing several. Good gear is just so darned expensive though. Since I didn't win the lotto I will just have to start saving up for the good stuff.

clanmaki
12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Will do Clanmaki . Probabley do a thread on that and the Muk Luks when they're done . Or just post it on Macho Sewing Thread .

Sorry OP a bit off topic .

I always felt sewing was a manly thing! :dblthumb:

Tactics_Matter
12-03-2012, 03:41 PM

I agree military surplus is great if you don't have a lot of money.

WisconsinEric
12-03-2012, 06:53 PM
I have received as gifts two Filson Mackinaw Blankets (http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw-blanket.80110.html) and think they're brilliant. Virgin wool, look as new as the day I unwrapped them (except for some stray pet hairs), and seriously warm for blankets. But that last bit comes courtesy of each weighing 9 lbs. (!!!), so I'm not sure it'd meet the packability criterion; certainly getting it inside a rucksack would be a problem, but lashing it to the outside should work,provided the weight weren't a deal-breaker. I've used them in the woods numerous times and at our cabin in winter, all with great satisfaction, but haven't tried packing it any distance. Made in the U.S.A.

Wait a minute! Your Filson Mackinaw blankets weigh 9lbs as stated on the Filson website? I ordered one a couple months ago and it weighs only 6lbs! And yes it is the 72"x90" Mackinaw blanket, bought from a local authorized Filson dealer.

I have even called Filsons customer service and asked if I received the the correct blanket as mine only weighs 6lbs. The woman I spoke with put me on hold for 5 minutes only to return and tell me the 9lbs stated on their website is a typo. She said the 6lbs my blanket weighs is the correct weight. They also refuse to publish my review on their site, or change the stated 9lb weight that they have admitted is a typo.

I shot a short video of it on a scale, and the blanket still had the tag on it showing it is indeed the current production 9lb Mackinaw blanket.

mischief
12-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Wilde blanket if you have deep pockets,if no deep pockects get a electric blanket with a very long extention cord or a couple of hot chicks.

If you can't get any of the foregoing try the following

Witney
Leiden health blanket from Holland
Jacobs Oregon City Virgin Wool

The point system denotes size of a blanket not warmth.

Red Cell
12-03-2012, 08:17 PM
I really want one of those Filson blankets.
Can you post that vid WisconsinEric?

WisconsinEric
12-04-2012, 01:37 PM
I really want one of those Filson blankets.
Can you post that vid WisconsinEric?
I have had the video of the blanket on a bathroom scale on my camera for months, I just wanted to give Filson a minute to at least change the description on their website claiming it weighs "9lbs" before I uploaded it to YouTube. Since I have already given them two months to make the correction, and they are still selling it as weighing "9lbs", I will go ahead and upload it today.

By the way, the Filson Mackinaw blanket is nice, and if they just sold it as what it is, a 6lb blanket, I would likely be happy. But I dont know how they feel they can get away claiming 9lbs? The Filson employee I spoke with even told me that my current production Mackinaw blanket is made from heavier weight 35oz/yd virgin wool than the past years Mackinaw blankets that were made from 26oz/yd wool. She confirmed by the number on the tag that I had the current production blanket.

My next blanket purchase will be a HBC 4 point.

Keyser Söze
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
so, which one is the best ? i got the Italian surplus blanket , and i can say that is pretty good .

looking at this many many best wool blanket threads over and over again to actually see the unanimous best blanket chosen , but it looks like is really hard to pin down the best

dragon383
12-04-2012, 02:33 PM

i have an alpaca farm right down the road from me. i'll have to check on prices although i think they will be way too expensive!

WisconsinEric
12-13-2012, 05:56 PM

I just wanted to reply back saying that my video of my Filson Mackinaw wool blanket on a scale has now convinced Filson to update their website. Their website now lists the Mackinaw blanket at the correct 6lbs, and they dropped the part about there being no heavier wool blanket on the market. It took me three phone calls over 10 weeks to get them to make the change to their website, but they finally did it.

Just beware of retailers that have not yet made the change to their websites.... many are likely still claiming the Filson Mackinaw weighs 9lbs, just as Filson has up until this afternoon.

NJWHN95
12-13-2012, 06:44 PM
There are a few things to consider, but like most things the decision on a wool blanket is full of compromises. First of all, the weave. A tight weave will be more durable, but a looser weave contains heat better. This being said I personally prefer a looser weave because honestly, wool is naturally pretty durable and I have never seen a wool blanket that I thought was loose enough that it would cause a problem in durability (I own/ have seen a few hudson bay blankets from the 1930s, so a well built blanket can last a lifetime.)
Second is thickness. Thicker will be warmer and add a little bit more durability, but this will also add weight.
Third is actual size. Bigger blanket will be easier to use, but it will also add weight and make it harder to attach to a pack.
Four is price. Many people agree that hudson bay blankets are one of the best blanket you can get, and i would agree. However, it's not your only choice, and if your on a budget you may want to consider some others. You can look at used blakets (HB or otherwise), surplus, and other, slightly cheaper brands.
That is all I can think of off the top of my head, but I am by no means an expert, and this is a widely discussed topic, with a wide range of views. Best of luck in your search!

Beavershooter
12-13-2012, 08:12 PM
I agree with most everybody, that a good Hudsons Bay work the best. I also have an Amana 100% wool blanket, that is an older one, and works everybit as good as the HB. You can still buy the Amana's new for around $100. They make one with multi stripes, much like the HB. They are nice warm and sturdy. I have a 100% wool military blanket that I got from my dad, that he had for as long as I can remember, and is still holding up fine.

Exy
12-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Wool blankets (http://www.kochartex.com/blanketswatches.aspx?prodcode=42) are a classic bedding accessory that should be in everyone's home.Woolen Blankets are distinguished from sheets because blankets are for warmth, while sheets are for hygiene and comfort. Last week i bought wool blankets made from finest quality fabric. :14:

Adios amigo.

Spearo
12-15-2012, 08:51 AM
I have had my Hudson Bay for about five years now. Over the years it has collected dog hair. It also has collected wife hair as well as my own. In real, terms it documents a very personal narrative that will continue into the future. Because of this, the HB is the last tool I would ever lend out. In symbolic terms, burry me in my 4Point, along with all the dog hairs and the beautiful strands of blonde. In potentially hard times, those hairs will be well worth their weight.
Recently I purchased an Italian wool blanket and have to say It is living up to the positive reviews that have been posted here.

Fusternc
12-15-2012, 07:30 PM
I have an Italian wool blanket that I really like. I also have a couple Swiss Army reproduction wool blankets from gr8gear.com (80% wool) that are also very nice. I keep one on my bed at night as our bedroom is an icebox.

Scroggins
12-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Adios amigo.

???

edispilf27
12-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Can vouch for the italian blankets as well. They are durable and warm... doubled up that is. The german blankets that say 'bundes-eigentum' are excellent and easily fall within the quality and warmth of all the retail non-military woolen mills. There are others that are good too. The polish, french offi er, and, especially, the dutch are on par with italia's.

The german ones are hard to find, the swiss ones are all repros now...

If you, or someone you know sews, get 2 italian blankets, and a couple yards of uncoated nylon/polyestr fabric, and sew the blankets'together with the nylon sandwiched. I use this setup. It breathes, stops wind, will protect from snow almost as good as a tent, and pack at about 10 lbs. It rolls up to about the same size as a winter sleeping bag in a stuff sack...
My 2$ input

rolandsilvajr
12-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Just found a usgi wool rich 85% wool but its really really thick and it was $55 in a store in North Conway nh.

diannamarsolek
12-25-2012, 01:18 AM

God yes I knowyou may not believe. Me but yes I have allot of wool

Aegis
12-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Was at a local surplus store today.

They had surplus blankets from West Point Academy. They are made by Northwest Woolen Mills in RI.

The blanket is very soft. It says 95% wool, 5% manmade fibers (My guess that is the embroidery. It was significantly heavier than the USGI surplus blankets. Tight weave, good thickness and loft.
66" x 90" - No exact weight yet, but I'd say about 5-6 lbs.

I can't find anything online about it. I took the gamble at $75.

Anyone know anything about the blanket, or the company? Did I do OK?

Lebeef143
12-29-2012, 12:58 AM
There are some knock off HB type blankets called "golden Dawn" from jc penny. They sell for a lot cheaper on eBay and they have some wonderful loft to them. I did the night out in a wool blanket with this and it did great. Here is a pic with my single shot pardner

Slips73
12-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Don't know if anyone said it yet, but the Isreali wool blankets are quite nice, for 15$ its a steal 100% wool, thin but ive slept alright into the high 20's by a nice longfire

bushcrafbasics
01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
get a filson mackinaw blanket, man up!

abo4ster
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM

The Blanket
An Illustrated History of the Hudson's Bay Point Blanket

A TESTIMONY TO “OLD FAITHFUL”

Around 1930, The Company placed classified advertisements in a number of newspapers in the Pacific Northwest. They asked readers who had Hudson’s Bay blankets that were over twenty years old to contact them. They received a large number of letters, but perhaps the best was one from a correspondent in British Columbia:

-----------------------------------------------

Vancouver, B.C., June 26, 1931

I have in my possession, one of a pair of blankets which I purchased in your store 30 years ago this month. Used as a saddle blanket during several seasons of riding the range. Was packed thorough to Revelstoke – thence south through the Kootenays on prospecting and hunting trips. Packed north all through the mountains and received some of the roughest usage that any fabric could possibly survive.

I could not truthfully estimate how many tons of river gravel was dumped onto it and washed inour attempts to find gold. Was packed back to Alberta and usd on freighting trips to Athabasca Landing and Peace River – also the famous Barr Colony (Lloydminster).

Used as a saddle blanket for almost two years riding around on hard and tough trips for the C.N.R. engineers. Then used for camping during construction of C.N.R. from Battleford to Edmonton, thence to the mountains.

Six or seven Indian babies have been born on it – was used during a trip after wild horses in Northern Alberta when one end got burned in a bad prairie fire, leaving about three-quarters of the blanket intact. Used for three years during my homesteading stint.

When I got married, I took my young wife on to the homestead, used the blanket as her covering during the eleven-mile drive. Used it on our bed for years. When the youngster arrived, was used as a mattress in bottom of buggy. When the next one came, was used as a cover on its crib. That winter, was used as part protection over a valuable small stock of potatoes. Next winter used as a drop curtain hung in front of a few pure bred poultry. Then thoroughly washed and placed on the bed.

We were out hunting in a car, got stuck in mud and placed the blanket under the back wheel; the wheel spun, then gripped and out we came, leaving a hole in one corner of Old Faithful. Part of it I cut off and sewed up into a pair of heavy socks and used them all winter during a mail trip.

We still have the old blanket after thirty years of service, somewhat faded certainly, but like Johnny Walker, still going strong. During all those years the only hole is where the auto wheel ground it. It never frayed, and only during the last few years of very rough usage did it fade.

As they say, you get what you pay for, which is demonstrated by the testimonial above.

Nonetheless, there is something to be said for "how" you are going to use your blanket as to what is "best."

The military blankets with a tight weave may not be as warm, but many like how they don't pick up debris or pick as easy; this can be especially nice if you are going to use for more than a sleeping blanket, such as a cape or coat wearing in thick woods. Also, what are sleeping on? Are you using groundcloth? Since this was started in the Winter Camping forum, are we talking a single blanket in a temperate climate without a heat source? If you are confident with using or constructing a heated shelter, less of wool blanket maybe acceptable. Hope those few thoughts help. Good thread.

Wood PF
01-15-2013, 07:37 PM
When a guy is ready to make the financial leap a Hudson Bay blanket will keep you COMFORTABLE in front of a fire down below freezing. They come big so a guy can wrap up in them and get total body and head coverage when needed. Mine rolls up and fits inside my Isle royale sr vertically or flat, as well as my swiss engineer ruck. Rebecca Dockery on facebook makes blankets that I'm told are as good or even superior, mine is being made now. As far as mil surplus goes the best I've found in regards to 100% wool and size is the Italian or the German ones. Though I would not want to rely on them below 50 degrees. They cannot hold a candle to the HB.

Lucky44
01-15-2013, 07:48 PM
I am a big fan of Pendleton blankets. I have had one for years. They have a tight wind resistant weave and look great. They wear very well. My grandparents had one that has been passed down through 2 generations. http://www.pendleton-usa.com has a lot of other outdoor supplies too, and you can buy the material by the yard so you can have the perfect size.

brionic
01-15-2013, 07:50 PM
My favorite military surplus blanket is Swiss. Nice, tight weave, well hemmed edges, and the extra nifty Swiss touches like fancy marking and even a pre-disco medallion.

I should have bought more of them when they were $20!

N of SE
01-18-2013, 07:30 PM
I have one Italian surplus blanket, that I often use as the inner layer wrapped in a reflective tarp for an improvised bivy sack that adds a few degrees of protection.

I'm also pretty fond of a Tennessee Woolen Mills HB style I picked up cheap at a local 18th Century Reenactment. I don't know a lot about the Tennessee Mill, but from second hand information I've gathered it's no longer in operation. That's rather unfortunate since I prefer to support local companies.

stormpriest
02-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Hudsons Bay, 4 or 6 point. Hands down. The best place (price wise) to get them is www.trackofthewolf.com I had an Earlys of Whitney, and it was warm, but just not as felted and dense as the HBs.
I just ordered my second from them, the 6 points are $359. And worth twice that, just dont tell them that.

mischief
02-04-2013, 06:33 PM
so, which one is the best ? i got the Italian surplus blanket , and i can say that is pretty good .

looking at this many many best wool blanket threads over and over again to actually see the unanimous best blanket chosen , but it looks like is really hard to pin down the best

Not hard
#1 Wilde
#2 Witney

Two of the very FEW that are all 100% wool,US laws allow 95% wool in a all wool blanket,yup Look it up.

Winterhorse
02-16-2013, 10:20 AM
I have an old Hudson bay with a few burn holes that I've had for over thirty years. I wouldn't trade it for any thing (well, maybe a new Hudson bay).

pure_mahem
02-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Wilde blanket if you have deep pockets,if no deep pockects get a electric blanket with a very long extention cord or a couple of hot chicks.

If you can't get any of the foregoing try the following

Witney
Leiden health blanket from Holland
Jacobs Oregon City Virgin Wool

The point system denotes size of a blanket not warmth.

Actually the point system describes how many prime beaver pelts the blanket is worth. Which judging by factory prices still holds pretty much true.

pure_mahem
02-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Anyone have one of the 100% Alpaca Wool blankets from south america off of ebay and one of the Hudson Bay Blankets and able to give a comparison. I noticed last time I looked you could get a king sized wool blanket from Peru or Ecuador or Argentina or whereever it was for about 150 dollars I didn't get one because I wasn't sure how well it would compare/usefullness/quality. anyone have both and able to chime in?

BENCH
02-18-2013, 03:36 PM
[I]have two Italian wool blankets along with a fleece light weight sleeping bag that I use comfortably down to 20's, and that is with out fire. I do use a tarp and a closed cell foam pad to sleep on.

Just my .02 cents worth.

winterlover
02-21-2013, 01:19 AM
Anyone have one of the 100% Alpaca Wool blankets from south america off of ebay and one of the Hudson Bay Blankets and able to give a comparison. I noticed last time I looked you could get a king sized wool blanket from Peru or Ecuador or Argentina or whereever it was for about 150 dollars I didn't get one because I wasn't sure how well it would compare/usefullness/quality. anyone have both and able to chime in?

Not sure, but judging from wool and alpaca sweaters I have I'd say the alpaca is going to be warmer for the same weight, but not as durable in terms of resisting abrasion and tearing. A wool/alpaca blend would probably make a great blanket.

DPris
02-21-2013, 02:47 AM
I'm seeing contradictions to the point=beaver pelt thing.
The points are stated as being used to denote size, not value.
Can the Internet possibly be wrong? :)
Denis

wulfesinger67
02-21-2013, 03:15 AM
hudsonbay ,penndelton ,whittney in a 4-6point depend on how big a feller you are. i name these because i know the quality and redibility. i have others from jcpenny ect. but they aree no longer made.

if $ is a issue the italian wool officers blankets are good value.

Exy
02-21-2013, 05:56 AM
The Italian blankets are different than any other blanket I own.

They are much thinner and tight woven than the rest, less fluffy. Like they were made specifically to be drug around outdoors (which they were). They work more like a mylar blanket in that they trap your body heat and prevent wind from coming in.

I have German and Israeli blankets as well, both much softer and more ''fluffy''.

Now, is the Italian blanket worth the $60 plus shipping they are charging for it now? I would go a different route, if you want to spend that kind of dosh buy a new Pendleton. I personally would buy an Israeli, polish, or German (what is available now in terms of surplus) blanket for less money, maybe a few for the same amount of cash as one Italian.

I love my German blankets for around the house the most, and the Italian for outdoors. But I'm tempted to buy this Pendleton:

http://www.pendleton-usa.com/product/Home-Blankets/Blankets/SOLID-PATTERN-BLANKETS/YAKIMA-CAMP-BLANKET/166021/sc/1777/c/1821/pc/1816.uts

hastings
02-21-2013, 09:14 AM
What do the points mean ?

The points always indicated the size of the blanket, with less points used for smaller blankets and more for larger ones. In a sense they are a kind of code or a label indicating the blanket's size.

Do the points have anything to do with the blanket's value or price?

Naturally, larger blankets cost more to make and therefore sell for higher prices than smaller ones. The Hudson's Bay Company used a unit of currency called the "Made Beaver" that equaled the value of one fully dressed beaver pelt. Most of the Company's goods were valued in their equivalency to the Made Beaver. A fine Arctic Fox fur might be worth five Made Beaver, a gun thirty. So too the blankets were valued in their equivalency to Made Beaver as that value changed from time to time. There have been times when a blanket commanded a price in beaver pelts closely equal to one pelt per point, but over the long period during which these blankets were traded this was rarely the case. The points originally indicated the blanket's size and not its price in beaver pelts and the points continue to indicate size today.
What is the origin of the point markings?

It is believed that the use of points started with French weavers perhaps as early as the 16th century. It has been suggested that the term derives from the French word empointer, meaning to make stitches in cloth. By the 18th century, blankets and clothing made from blankets appearing in old illustrations and paintings show that the use of points on blankets had become quite common by that time.

. - Harold Tichenor , from the Point Blanket Site, and author of two published books about point blankets.

R. Carpenter
02-21-2013, 08:26 PM
I've followed this thread and have browsed fleabay from time and again and I'm wondering if prices would be somewhat cheaper in summer time??

I figured why bother now that winter is almost over... ?? I'll have to look again sometime in July/August :p

steelheadr
02-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Hey All,
I just picked up this blanket yesterday at my local Army/Navy surplus store for $40. The tag stated these were made for the US Military Academy at West Point. It is 72x100" and weighs over 5 lbs. I may go back for another...

Jay

DPris
02-22-2013, 12:15 AM
I have a new Yakima in the Mineral Umber pattern here.
Quite nice.
I think I'll be getting one of the smaller ones for single-cot solo camping. Maybe two. :)
Denis

Mudman
02-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Hey All,
I just picked up this blanket yesterday at my local Army/Navy surplus store for $40. The tag stated these were made for the US Military Academy at West Point. It is 72x100" and weighs over 5 lbs. I may go back for another...

Jay
Wow that looks like a killer purchase, I've been looking for one that size but haven't had any luck. I've seen some fancy ones in department stores that cost the same as a modern blanket. Rather go modern to cut 3+lbs at the same price.

Red Cell
04-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Love my Rob Stone 4 Point.
Don't think they can get much better.

72x90
6 lbs

Edit: These pics are of the blanket right out of the box it came in.
Later I unfolded and shook it out and it's thicker now than in the pics lol.
I will take some closeups when the weather is better. These pics don't do it justice!

WisconsinEric
04-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Love my Rob Stone 4 Point.
Don't think they can get much better.

72x90
6 lbs WOW! Now that is a wool blanket! It appears to have a much longer nap to it than my Hudson Bay 4-point blanket, although my Girlfriend's Hudson Bay 4-point has a much longer nap than mine.... hers is almost as nice as your Rob Stone.... Almost :)

Thanks for posting!

vakman
04-06-2013, 06:28 PM
That looks great, as does the West point one...Woonsocket RI, I'll cycle through there a few times this summer, perhaps I'll check out the mills.

Jon308
04-11-2013, 06:56 PM
GI surplus is the best Ive found, My Aunt had a Pendleton blanket made in Oregon I think it was spendy but very nice.

OldManGlitch
05-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Apparently, I've missed out on the Manly Skill of Sewing....Need to get to it then.

Thanks

OldManGlitch
05-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Wow, now that's a product test and review....LoL

Atkins72
05-17-2013, 11:34 AM
I picked up a Hudson Bay 4pt at an antique store for $85. It is the white one with colored stripes in 95% condition. Now if it was just fall again do I could put it through some dirt time.

JPWeaver
06-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Went to a new-to-me antique shop today, and found a fine score - two US Navy-marked wool blankets, cream color - one with a few moth holes and owner name-serial stencil, the other pristine condition. Paid $35 for both. Now to have a duel between them and my old US Army blankets that fell off a supply truck into one of my duffle bags a while back ... ;)

Exy
06-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Hands down the Dutch Army AABE wool blanket is the best I've come across.. And I know blankets.

Super thick nap and dense weave. Built to military spec. 90 x 64. 5 pounds.

Never thought I could love a blanket so much.. Kind of sad that I sold the other one two days ago.. But this will last a lifetime.

boyscout
06-10-2013, 11:06 PM
I'll second the Golden Dawn blankets-reasonable facsimile of the HBC for a lot less money. Also (hate to give up a secret) Faribault or Faribo is very nice.

Bax 40
06-10-2013, 11:53 PM
My 4 dollar merino wool blanket from goodwill, only downside is it grabs a lot of trash@!

Larry

boyscout
06-11-2013, 05:50 AM
Merino is great if you can get it. And Alpaca is definitely the warmest.

riverjoe
06-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Merino is great if you can get it. And Alpaca is definitely the warmest.

There are some Alpaca blankets on E bay for decent prices sometimes . Has anyone experiance with these . Are they decent quality ?

boyscout
06-11-2013, 08:18 AM
I've looked at a bunch of those and I suspect many are not pure alpaca. I did manage to get one 100% years ago from S.A. and it is VERY warm.

mjh
06-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Nobody mentioned Fairbault Woolen Mills, we have two and have given many as gifts, the one we use the most is a mill end run in a baigey, milky coffee color and only cost us $40 at the time. When the Mill reopend a fews year back we supported them by purchasing a revival blanket, did cost a few bucks but it is very nice. I would like to get a HB someday....but I'll more than likely buy a Fairbault blanket sooner .....

sdjsdj
06-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Nobody mentioned Fairbault Woolen Mills, we have two and have given many as gifts, the one we use the most is a mill end run in a baigey, milky coffee color and only cost us $40 at the time. When the Mill reopend a fews year back we supported them by purchasing a revival blanket, did cost a few bucks but it is very nice. I would like to get a HB someday....but I'll more than likely buy a Fairbault blanket sooner .....

I have a 'shawl' size from them and throw it in my day pack in I need to do an overnighter.

Animus
06-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Anyone know how to wash a wool blanket? I have the Italian military version and a good airing out did nothing for mothball small and little for dirt/smoke. I've read cold wash on gentle, air dry -- but I don't want to risk ruining a great wool blanket.

PERRO
06-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Anyone know how to wash a wool blanket? I have the Italian military version and a good airing out did nothing for mothball small and little for dirt/smoke. I've read cold wash on gentle, air dry -- but I don't want to risk ruining a great wool blanket.

FYI:
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/30303-Army-wool-worth-treating

Animus
06-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks PERRO, but that link is more directed at treating wool, not washing it. Once washed, I will look more into lanolin. Seems like a great longterm investment.

KuRUpTD
06-16-2013, 08:36 PM

The following procedure should work for you

Hand Washing Wool Fabric

Clean wool fabric using a mild detergent in lukewarm water. Never use hot water! Do NOT use bleach. Bleach dissolves wool fabric.

Completely cover the garment in water and soak for 3 to 5 minutes. Gently squeeze to allow water to penetrate the fabric. Do NOT wring the garment.

Rinse thoroughly with cool water to remove all traces of soap.

Squeeze gently to remove excess water. Do NOT wring the garment.

To dry, lay the garment on a flat surface, reshaping if necessary and allow to dry away from direct sunlight and heat. Do NOT hang to dry. This will cause the wool fabric to stretch from the weight of the water that has soaked into the fibers.

Never put wool clothing in the dryer! The combination of heat, friction and pressure will cause shrinkage.

Or

Soaking

Machine soaking is an excellent way to get your wool Army blanket clean at home. Wash your blanket by filling the washing machine with cool water and adding 1/2 cup of wool soak. Wool soak is specifically designed for cleaning woolen items, and can be found at yarn stores and fine clothing retailers. Immerse the blanket, but leave the lid of the machine open so it will not agitate. Soak the blanket for 30 minutes, then set the washer to the spin cycle to get rid of excess water. Remove the Army blanket from the washer, and lay it flat to dry.

Bowels
07-29-2013, 03:41 PM
alpaca without a doubt! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQK9AO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Exy
07-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Those alapaca blankets look a bit danty in terms of abuse.

would really try to keep it to military spec.

PERRO
07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
I've been interested in getting an " Alpaca Blankets ", & have seen a few for export sales.

They have a decent loft, but seem to have a loose weave. I don't think it is tight enough for heavy (Bedrolls ) ,long term outdoor use.

The items woven for their own home use, might be made more durable ....?

tickflicker
07-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Whitney once made HBC

Bowels
07-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I assure you I have this blanket and it is plenty durable, alpaca is stronger than wool, and warmer... even if its woven loosly (which this blanket is not), holds its heat when wet and is flame resistant like wool, but much softer.

Joash
07-29-2013, 09:24 PM
The Basotho blankets from Lesotho. I can't find a source for the life of me however.

http://www.malealea.co.ls/basotho-culture/basotho-blankets.html

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj498/Joash9/Maliba-basotho-dancers.jpg (http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/Joash9/media/Maliba-basotho-dancers.jpg.html)

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj498/Joash9/PrinceWilliamHarryVisitLesothoDay2oC1JM5OEdJUl.jpg (http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/Joash9/media/PrinceWilliamHarryVisitLesothoDay2oC1JM5OEdJUl.jpg .html)

sk063
07-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Just to drop my opinion, as limited as it is. I have used the 80/20 from the U.S. Army, and the Bulgarian 100 %. I dearly love the Bulgarian, I believe it is advertised as an officers blanket. It has kept me warm into the low 40's - high 30's. It is a tad on the heavy side, but I don't believe you can beat it for the money. Haven't used the very popular Italian though or German.

Bowels
07-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Also the blanket is a queen size! its like 80" long, you can easily fold it over and have room to spare

I assure you I have this blanket and it is plenty durable, alpaca is stronger than wool, and warmer... even if its woven loosly (which this blanket is not), holds its heat when wet and is flame resistant like wool, but much softer.

borego
07-30-2013, 08:30 AM
any recommendation on a brand?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

ecuador

wetshirt
07-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Whitney blankets are not as costly as HBCs but the quality is there I've been sleeping in them for years.
My 2 cents

Bushnewb
08-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I found some itialian 100% wool military blankets for 35 dollars my question is b4 I buy is the Hbc that much better that its worth it. I'm not afraid to save money and get the better one if its worth it. I also have a expensive and rather nice sleeping bag but feel that I still need a wool blanket is that crazy? My wife thinks so. I just want to leave bag at home on some trips plus the bag isn't as durable.

Exy
08-07-2013, 07:45 PM
My next wool blanket purchase will be the Pendleton Yakima camp blanket.

I'm still freaking sick I sold my other Dutch Army wool blanket.. it is definitely Hudson Bay quality.. build to mil-spec.

Exy
08-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Just to drop my opinion, as limited as it is. I have used the 80/20 from the U.S. Army, and the Bulgarian 100 %. I dearly love the Bulgarian, I believe it is advertised as an officers blanket. It has kept me warm into the low 40's - high 30's. It is a tad on the heavy side, but I don't believe you can beat it for the money. Haven't used the very popular Italian though or German.

Are you talking about the double sided bulgarian blanket? Brown and Cream?

That is 70% wool.

daedrian
08-07-2013, 11:59 PM
There's Bulgarian blanket that is brown with a light brown/tan stripe, kind of like the Italian but darker. I've seen it listed as an officers blanket a few times, it is 100% wool.

Joash
08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Anyone concerned re. Napthalene on surplus blankets? It's pretty toxic stuff.

renter6
08-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Anyone concerned re. Napthalene on surplus blankets? It's pretty toxic stuff.

Dealing with that for a month now. I bought a Pearce wool blanket at the thrift store, didn't smell but I don't trust anything from the thrift store, I ran it through the laundry, hung dry, no problems.

I bought a second at the same thrift store, a Kenwood, didn't notice the napthalene smell, ran it through the laundry, somehow that activated the mothball smell. It came out reeking, and the washing machine still smells of it. Hanging the blanket out to air for a day did a lot of good for it, but when I took it out of the chest where I put it away, the smell had accumulated again. So its out on the line airing out.

Running a blanket stored in mothballs through your home washing machine is a huge mistake. So far my experience is it takes months for the smell to leave the machine. Lots of solutions suggested online (baking soda, vinegar, etc.) but time seems like the only real solution. Napthalene is non-water soluble, just has to evaporate, slowly.

Joash
08-08-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm concerned about health effects.

mainewoods
08-10-2013, 06:54 AM
I would go with Brother Kerri" hudson bay four and a half point blanket" !!!

OhCanada
08-10-2013, 11:31 PM
I found some itialian 100% wool military blankets for 35 dollars my question is b4 I buy is the Hbc that much better that its worth it. I'm not afraid to save money and get the better one if its worth it. I also have a expensive and rather nice sleeping bag but feel that I still need a wool blanket is that crazy? My wife thinks so. I just want to leave bag at home on some trips plus the bag isn't as durable.

It depends on what you want, if you want early period gear then even a modern HBC blanket is more "historic" than a WWII era blanket. However, if a wool blanket is just a wool blanket to you, then better to buy a $35 blanket than a $400 blanket; hold off on the HBC until you find one at a thrift store.

Sleeping bag vs blanket is really about new vs old. Both can weigh the same but if you are talking about modern high quality hiking store sleeping bags then they will almost always be lighter and warmer than a blanket. However, if your goal is to have some fun with old period (in whole or in part) camping then get a wool blanket for less than the price of a quality sleeping bag and have some fun!

winterlover
08-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Back to the topic of moth ball smell, try those zeolite odor removing rocks, they help get rid of the smell in your washing machine..

renter6
08-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Back to the topic of moth ball smell, try those zeolite odor removing rocks, they help get rid of the smell in your washing machine..

Ooh, gonna look into that! Thanks Winterlover.

Camping Jack
08-11-2013, 07:48 AM
My next wool blanket purchase will be the Pendleton Yakima camp blanket.

I'm still freaking sick I sold my other Dutch Army wool blanket.. it is definitely Hudson Bay quality.. build to mil-spec.

I found one of these in the bargain cave at my local Cabela's for 40% off. I couldn't pass it up.

Swede6.5x55
08-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Hudson's Bay Point blankets hands down. They've been keeping trappers and couch pitatoes warm for 300 years. Name a new company that has that going for them.

I slept outisde with mine at 30 degrees and I was plenty warm. They are fluffy, soft and heavy. They are the standwrd of the world for Wool Blankets and have been for hundreds of years.

2stoves
08-13-2013, 08:41 AM
I have never been a wool blanket fan until this pass week. I was hammock camping in Mi and temps were getting into the 40s at night but I had not brought gear with me for that level of cold. I did, however, have a 85/15 wool blanket that I had picked up from Harbor Freight on sale for 6.00 or so. I had washed and felted it down via the drier so it was no longer scratchy nor did it smell. I wrapped up in it and slept like a baby.

If an 85/15 blanket is that warm, I can't wait to see what a 100% wool blanket is like. I am now a believer!

Bowels
08-13-2013, 09:01 AM
yeaaah ive been dealing with that Napthalene in my wool blanket for a few weeks now.... that alpaca blanket i linked I decided to not use for camping its def warm enough but its just too lovely lol so i Ordered a Rothco European Surplus Style Wool Blanket $35 and it said its 90/10 so not to shabby.... but that smell! my goodness! Ive hung it out to dry for days in the sun and wind and still the smell is there... I am wondering if I should try a baking soda hand wash? Has anyone worked the problem out with anything but time?

ctovey
08-13-2013, 09:34 AM
I left my surplus blanket outside for a week and with heavy morning dew and warm daytime highs and its hardly noticeable now. It really wreaked before.

OhCanada
08-13-2013, 10:10 AM
I get some wool blankets that smell more when they are wet than dry. I tell the gf, "It is wet sheep fur after all".

joebatterton
08-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Wilde Blankets are nice if you can find one, Ed and CJ stopped weaving blankets a few years ago. Rob Stone makes an awesome blanket also.

Bushnewb
08-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Ok first I'd like to start off by saying I had a few so forgive me. 2nd is are Hbc that much better? I am asking bc I have had cheap sleeping bags and now I have a western mountaineering bag and yes it was worth it, but I want to get into the more primitive style so I was looking at blankets. I have never seen nor used any wool blankets other than the green ones from when I was in the military so I honestly have no idea. Lastly so I do t offend anyone let me start off by saying I collect knives. I have everything from crk sebies, strides, winklers, to carter cutlery knives and I have found out that there are many fakes and you have to be careful where u purchase them from. I don't want to single any site out but I have found Hbc 4 point blankets from http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/261/1
for 289 and I see same blankets from another site( I don't want to link bc I don't want to single them out if they are over priced) For 369 My question is are the ones I linked real Hbc blankets or are they something else. Thanks for all your help.

Joash
08-20-2013, 09:32 PM
I just got my Bulgarian Officers Blanket in the mail this afternoon. Now begins the deodorization process. I hung it up in the yard to see what the August California sun can do for me.

DtR
08-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Ok first I'd like to start off by saying I had a few so forgive me. 2nd is are Hbc that much better? I am asking bc I have had cheap sleeping bags and now I have a western mountaineering bag and yes it was worth it, but I want to get into the more primitive style so I was looking at blankets. I have never seen nor used any wool blankets other than the green ones from when I was in the military so I honestly have no idea. Lastly so I do t offend anyone let me start off by saying I collect knives. I have everything from crk sebies, strides, winklers, to carter cutlery knives and I have found out that there are many fakes and you have to be careful where u purchase them from. I don't want to single any site out but I have found Hbc 4 point blankets from http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/261/1
for 289 and I see same blankets from another site( I don't want to link bc I don't want to single them out if they are over priced) For 369 My question is are the ones I linked real Hbc blankets or are they something else. Thanks for all your help.

Hey, bro, not sure if you got any replies...

I'll hit up the wool blanket bit, as its the thread for it. My personal feelings are that no one company has cornered perfection. I tend to trust companies from places with a history of wool. NZ, Iceland, Scotland, etc. but, in general, I prefer blankets with 80-90% wool. 100% wool doesn't see to hold up as well. That little bit of additive seems to help. There's several 60-70% wool options, which are really light, but not as warm. I don't like them, but that's preference. Not a reflection on quality. Check amazon for reviews. Some good leads there. For the price, surplus is pretty hard to bet.

You may want to check not her corner of BCUSA for blade discussions.

Regards,

DtR

mongo1958
08-25-2013, 01:33 PM
A few years back there was a lot of discussion on the smell of Italian surplus blankets. Sunlight and air will allow the naphthalene to volatilize and the UV rays will break it down. Put it in the sun for a few days and flip it over. Check the link out

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/naphgen.html

boyscout
08-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Bushnewb, FWIW I think Track of the Wolf is a legitimate retailer. The label in the photo looks like the real HBC blankets.
Don't write off the Faribo/Faribault , Witney, Pendleton, Golden Dawn, Eaton, Woolrich, and others though.

Joash
08-27-2013, 12:19 AM
A few years back there was a lot of discussion on the smell of Italian surplus blankets. Sunlight and air will allow the naphthalene to volatilize and the UV rays will break it down. Put it in the sun for a few days and flip it over. Check the link out

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/naphgen.html

My Bulgarian Officer's Blanket is about to begin day 7 in the sun and still smells.

mongo1958
08-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Maybe it is not naphthalene?

Bushnewb
08-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks scout and btr. I'll look at them blankets too.

Loosearrow
08-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Whitney once made HBC
I have a capote made from a Whitney blanket. i don't think they are in business anymore. Great blankets. I was waiting for someone to mention them.

druid189
09-10-2013, 01:42 AM
Incredibly expensive but you'll understand why I posted it when you open the second link:

Hudson Bay wool blanket: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/22955?feat=sr&term=hudsons%20bay

...between $380 and $580 depending on size.

Now as to why that blanket....

LARP and Rendezvous attendees will give you tons of accolades to the Capote:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/22955?feat=sr&term=hudsons%20bay

...the Plains Indians, fur traders, mountain men and anyone surviving a Great Plains winter wore one.

Historical records indicate they were for the most part, a white blanket with colorful stripes. In today's market, that pretty much points to the Hudson Bay. many historical references also point to the Hudson Bay blanket.

Indications were [at the time] the more colored stripes, the heavier the blanket.

Having said all that...I don't think I could bring myself to take a ~$400 blanket and cut it up...no matter HOW good my sewing skills were.

But I'd also assume that you could do the same thing with a Swedish Officer's wool surplus blanket.

http://www.pinecreekoutdoors.com/swedish-officer39s-reversible-wool-blank39.html

I don't own one of these myself but by all accounts, they are top rate blankets. At $55....i'd guess that can't be too bad a bargain [?]

WisconsinEric
09-21-2013, 12:31 PM
I am by no means a blanket expert, but I have been buying one or two each of the last few years. Last month I thought I would roll them all up for a photo in this thread but I could not figure out how to post the photos at the time. I think I have got it now so I'm giving it another try.

The three on the right(edit) are Pendleton "camp" blankets that are a blend of 86% virgin wool and 14% cotton. The far Right(edit) is a "queen" size and the other two are "twin" size. The twin size runs about $90ea and weigh about 4lb. They were my first wool blankets, and they are nice and soft but not really much of a real outdoors blankets.

The blanket on the far left is a Faribault mills "Foot Soldier" 100% virgin wool blanket purchased new from the mill earlier this summer. Faribault mills lists its weight at 3.5lbs(4lbs on my bathroom scale), and dimentions at 66"x90"... but I have measured it to be a few inches larger than that. This one measured approx 68"x 94". This is a big deal for me because the two surplus blankets I have ordered in the past were too small for me to wrap up correctly. Earlier this year Faribault was selling them for $120, but sadly the price has now gone up to $145, but this blanket is in my opinion well worth the money

The heavy one of the bunch is my Green Hudson Bay 4-Point blanket measuring 72"x90" and weighing 6lbs. Obviously it is the heaviest and warmest of the bunch, but they also sell for between $260-$350ea. (They tend to go on sale just before Christmas and again in late winter) It is indeed the benchmark, but I am making this post to share the reasons why I feel that the Faribault mills "Foot Soldier" blanket makes better kit.

First off I will say the the Faribault mills 100% virgin wool blanket appears to be made from wool every bit as high quality as my Hudson Bay 4-Point, and the Faribault has all edges sown to prevent fraying. The Faribault is just over half the weight, but is only half the cost.

I will finish by saying that I am planning on buying myself a second identical Faribault when I can afford it. My thoughts are that the two will likely be warmer at 7-8lbs than my 6lb 4-Point HB in cold weather, and I always have the option of only taking one to save weight in warmer weather. I also like the fact that the Faribault is Made in America only about 4 hours from my home. Lots of quality gear coming from those good folks up there in Minnesota.

ineffableone
09-21-2013, 01:21 PM

* edit to add, Better is a subjective term. Packablity, no they are worse, heavier and bulkier. Warmth, a decent sleeping bag is better at keeping you warm for less weight and bulk. Durability, yep a decent wool blanket tends to be more durable than most sleeping bags. Multi functionality, a wool blanket can be used for more than just sleeping (including used as your pack, as a tarp, as a pieces of clothing, and many more other uses), while sleeping bags tend to just be for sleeping. The decision to use wool blankets over modern bags is personal. There is no right or wrong. One of the biggest reasons I see wool used is for folks who prefer to sleep near their fire. Something that is infinitely dangerous with modern bags. But with wool it is doable. You will have to decide if it is worth it for the extra bulk and weight to carry wool. Of course they do make wonderful blankets for home use too, so if you got one and didn't want to use it camping it doesn't have to be a waste of money.

Sadly yes when anything fetches a decent price, it gets knock offs and fakes. Point Blankets are no different. Now some are just miss understanding by inexperienced buyers, point blanket does not mean HBC. There are a lot of different companies making or have made point blankets. Some companies though did and do fake HBC tags.

Here are a couple links for more info on spotting fakes.

Ebay Hudson Bay Blanket guide (http://www.ebay.com/gds/Hudson-Bay-Company-Point-Blanket-/10000000000939116/g.html)

Just a great general Point Blanket info site, great to get informed on the subject.
The Point Blanket website (http://www.pointblankets.com/)

The places you will usually find the fakes, the obvious Ebay, Craigs list, or other used item selling. Most places offering New Point Blankets, the price difference often can be due to shipping costs. Remember these are bulky heavy blankets.

A place I haven't seen listed yet on this thread as a source for Point Blankets, or wool blankets in general including all you Alpaca wool fans. Is Etsy. Seriously worth the look through there if your serious about wool blankets. I have seen some amazing deals for decent used point blankets, including the rare double 4 point blankets 2 blankets that weren't cut apart. Like Ebay, Etsy is a place you have to visit regularly and shop around, but you can find some great deals if you have patience.

Something else about point blankets. Don't be afraid of used ones with a little damage. A little stain or small hole, can get you a great blanket for $75-$100.

Keyser Söze
09-21-2013, 01:26 PM
the Best wool blanket is the One you Have and use -actually use- and is not to short to cover your feet and neck in the same time,, when you sleep and is getting cold in the morning around 4-6 AM ...it sucks when you are sleepy and you have to chose between covering your feet or cold shoulders with a short blanket LOL:D

mangkukhan
09-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Been itching to buy a Wool blanket from Woolrich but their a bit pricey. Bought a cheapo wool blanket on ebay that looks like it was sewn with pocket lint and couch stuffing, it's warm and it gets but scratchy as well. Supposedly a fire retardant safety blanket like the ones in the emergency boxes you see fire axes and extinguishers in, like the fire dept uses. Not planning on testing that theory.

orbean
10-02-2013, 02:54 PM
I have four wool blankets I picked up at the flea market. I don't think I paid more than twenty for the four. However someday I will start to accumulate some better quality blankets. The surplus ones I have do the trick but I would really like to get my hands on a Hudson bay.

Falcon1
10-02-2013, 04:34 PM
I am often amazed at the ability to buy Hudson Bay and what I call trade blankets at Garage Sales. Most are about $5 and full heavy wool. Green US Army Blankets are good but a lot of times they have holes and are thin. There is a type of older style US Army blanket that is brown and is heavier but the wool is very coarse and itchy to me. I like the Hudson Bay and Trade Blankets. I suggest checking thrift stores, flea markets and garage sales. Falcon1

Joash
10-02-2013, 06:48 PM
I would totally pounce if I saw one.

teaguzzler
10-12-2013, 03:32 AM
I just got one of those brown blankets. Falcon1 is right, it's a very coarse blanket. It is 90% wool though.