PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Browser Interface

JustJoel
01-22-2010, 06:12 AM
I would catigorize this is a 'nice to have' as oppsed to an issue really. Before the guys over at BB decided to upgrade, they had a seperate interface for the forum UI that was text driven for mobile browsers. Admittedly not every pretty but it worked really well and limited the pictures you saw to the ones you opened to look at. It also made things like the User CP useful and accessable via mobile devices.

I was wondering if something similar could be done for BCUSA. It might save some battery life and would make it easier for me to fib about what I am doing with my phone during those meetings I always seem to be in... :D Just a thought.

Joel

snakedoctor
01-22-2010, 06:57 AM
I use my BB from work all the time here. It has a full html browser but I use bolt! The only problems I encounter are when trying to post replies and sometimes PM's!

It has something to do with the redirect pages coming up do to no flash player!

I think you could search BCUSA from the archive page if there is one for the site! Thats how I had to do it for another place!

daveridesbikes
01-22-2010, 07:24 AM
i have a samsung instinct s30, it has a proprietary os and i am using opera mini as my browser, flawless.

snakedoctor
01-22-2010, 07:33 AM
I used opera mini beta 5.0 I loved it tabbed browsing (freaking great ) BUT Could not use my BB menus (didnt interface yet) so I had to start over if I needed to run something else. I had no problems with it at all.

The android browser was the best I ever used though!

JustJoel
01-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Right, guys what I am saying is not that it doesn't work. I use IE on the mobile and it does fine. What I am saying is that the lighter wieght interface would simply allow things to load quickly, you can read everything that's there and view the picks if you want to and not if you don't, and the faster render times would mean less time working both the data interface and screen. Both of those things result in less battery usage. All I am getting at.

daveridesbikes
01-22-2010, 07:46 AM
all my pages load up in 5- 10 secs, in my opinion on of the best things about my smart phone is the ability to access the real web, i dont like mobile interfaces. my battery usually lasts me about 8 hours on average, but i have a second battery, so that is about 16 hrs total.

daveridesbikes
01-22-2010, 07:46 AM
+1 on android

snakedoctor
01-22-2010, 07:51 AM
I see what your saying almost like a mobile version! That would be fairly cool! I dont see how it could be a mini version with all the data needed just for the text!

I have a new BB with full HTML the 83XX series and older had the text only browsers. It still took a little to load the amount of data that way!

Thats why I was thinking if there was an archive page where it was just txt it would be real easy.

I however deeply believe from my own very biased stand point that you should kick IE to the side and go with but not limited to

Bolt,Opera mini,Safari,the new (dont know if its out yet or not) Mozilla leopard!

JustJoel
01-22-2010, 08:00 AM
I see the confusion here. BB is britishblades.com.... Not black berry. :D Their entire site used to reder in plain text on a mobile browser.

snakedoctor
01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Oh got it!! I think a mobile version would be great!

daveridesbikes
01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
I see the confusion here. BB is britishblades.com.... Not black berry. :D Their entire site used to reder in plain text on a mobile browser.

oh. now i get it.