PDA

View Full Version : At last, made me a Super Cat stove today.

OregonDave
01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

Mine looks just like the photos. Hormel potted meat can from Big Lots, a Foster's beer can from the recycle bin at a local C store, and a 1/4" paper punch from a local 2nd hand store that, for some reason, they gave to me for free. Out of pocket $0.33 for the potted meat and $0.05 (return deposit) for the beer can.

12 oz brew up in 4 minutes using 2 capsfull of alcohol fuel (just shy of 1 Tbs) from a 4 oz Nalgene bottle. There's 25 capsfull of alcohol fuel in that 4 oz bottle, so that's a dozen cans of hot tea or coffee. It doesn't have to boil, just get hot.

I could drink directly from the pot, since the lip didn't get hot. Stove and pot weigh 1-2 oz. Fuel and bottle about 5 oz.

Down side: Delicate stove and pot - look at 'em and they dent. And next time, I'll buy a can of Fancy Feast cat food - its got to taste better then the Hormel potted meat! :D

OD

kgd
01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Congrats. They sure are fun to play with aren't they? The fancy feast tins work great and I think they are more robust than the pop cans.

I suggest getting yourself a little Ti-cup or a Goyot squishy cup (much cheaper than TI) for drinking. It is far more pleasant. But then again, I usually advocate a little luxury as a compromise to weight savings. If you are an ultra-lighter than I prefer to be called by my rightful name -> satan :D

Enjoy that supercat!

Spork
01-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Potted meat, beer and playing with fire?...good times!:D

OregonDave
01-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Get thee behind me, kgd. Actually, I once bought a pair of the Swedish Army surplus billy cans with Svea alcohol stoves, plastic fuel flasks and burner stands. One was missing a lid for the burner, so Sportsman's Guide sent me TWO more complete units to replace one lid. Then they had a sale on like 8 for $20.00 of the same units...

Ultralight? Hah! Have you heard of any ultralighters who have 12 Swedish Army surplus mess kits? :eek:

:D
OD

OregonDave
01-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Spork - It WAS you that got me to googling for the Super Cat.

Chewing tobacco, Chewing tobacco,
Spit, spit, spit.
Potted meat, Potted meat...
(fill in the blanks)

:D
OD

Homeslice
01-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Dang, I have gone through a ton of Fancy Feast cans over the past few months of cat ownership without realizing the potential. I will have to start saving them.

Pawoodsman
01-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Thats my favorite stove and only one I use besides the fire.