PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Cycles

JFro
02-13-2010, 04:27 AM
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if any of the members practiced any exotic kinds of sleep schedules..Polyphashic? Or just your average number of sleeping hours? And also, I am curious to know of the position y'all sleep in..Back, Stomach, Side? And finally, if anyone has any pointers, tips or techniques for achieving the most efficient means of sleeping...Lately, I havent been getting too good of sleep...Waking up with terribly sore spinal issues...I personally believe its due to the fact that I lay asleep on my belly, concaving my back into an eventual uncomfortable position...So anyone and everyone, I ask thee to inundate me with sleeping tips please! And Thank You!@!!!

SigNY
02-13-2010, 04:55 AM
I work 6PM to 6:30 AM and sleep from 7am till around 2PM or 3PM. Mostly on my stomach and I sleep great. Never have back issues....not yet anyway.

JFro
02-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Okay, now about your sleeping position..On your belly - If its alright with you, Im curious to know your weight and height...Or if you by any chance think you have a thin or big belly?

JustJoel
02-13-2010, 06:43 AM
If you have a family Dr, I would say go see him and explain what's going on. I have no insight into what the issue might actually be but I can tell you from experience, both a decrease in the quality of sleep and back pains while doing it pointed to two larger issues for me. It wouldn't have gotten better with him. Just my take.

Joel

SigNY
02-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Okay, now about your sleeping position..On your belly - If its alright with you, Im curious to know your weight and height...Or if you by any chance think you have a thin or big belly?

I am big boy. 5-10 around 250 or so. Big Belly. :D

JFro
02-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Coolness, SigNY That is what I expected...Im a bit more stretched out and lanky bout 6'1'' 160#. And really the only way I can peacefully fall asleep is on my belly, which really forms a sharp concave bend in my back, which by the time I wake up causes some major damage...Like obvious horrendous pain in the mornings. Typically the pain takes about an hour to leave me..I have experimented with these new hi tech bed padding, but to no avail. still in pain..I feel like I have to go to sleep on an upside down 'U' shaped bed. Really dont know what to do about. If I still had my insurance I would definitely go to the doc's..Last time I saw him, he just referred me to a physical therapist, which I could not afford :( Gotta find something

werewolf won
02-13-2010, 07:45 AM
You might have sleep apena, too. If you are getting enough hours of sleep but still waking up tired. Just something to consider. Sleeping on your side with a small pillow between your knees should align you spine best, however I find it far from easy to sleep that way.
Wolf

Mathan Moloch
02-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I have a hard time sleeping but not due to physical issues.
I have to fall asleep on my stomach and I found that a firm mattress helps because it will not give and your back then cannot fall into an extreme concave.

I am 5'9" and 175# and having a firm mattress helps out tremendously.

Trey
02-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Have you tried sleeping with fewer pillows? It seems that it is not the sleeping position, but the thickness of your pillows that is causing your back to concave. I had a similar problem and using thinner pillows helped me a lot.

Trekon86
02-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Try sleeping on your right side with your left leg slung over a pillow.
If that fails you might have sleep apnea. I have it but have learned to deal with it and have had a couple of surgeries to correct it, including one that removed my tonsils, adenoids and uvula. Unpleasant to say the least, but it helped.

If you find out you have apnea, try sleeping on your side wearing a small waist pack filled with tennis balls. No joke. The way it works is whenever you roll over onto your back, you feel uncomfortable because of the tennis balls and you end up rolling back sideways.

Cheers,
PMZ

Otzi
02-13-2010, 05:17 PM
from the title of the post I thought it was about Harleys!

Just kidd'n; I have two little kids, I don't sleep anymore. Ever.

Pawoodsman
02-13-2010, 07:09 PM
I work shift work so I can't get a pattern if I wanted to

sbkittrell
02-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Once, years ago I read an article somewhere about the best position to sleep in. It said that the "swastika" or "running" position was the best. It takes up a lot of room though, so if you are married or have a girlfriend it may not work for you.

sticks65
02-13-2010, 09:08 PM
I get about 4 hours a night,5 if im lucky.

I sleep on my sides.

JFro
02-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the varied input guys and Trek, thanks for that tip about the tennis balls...That is a gnarly idea! Gotta give that ago. I know what you mean about the bulkier pillows, as that is what initially sparked my recognition of the problem..So after I began sleeping either without or with a single flat pillow...On the nights where I down scrounge around too much, keeping a pillow between my knees is a blessing. Typically, though, I kick out the pillow and end up on my belly anyway...Another trick I use is to place a single flat pillow under my belly and go to sleep like that, usually soundly..I am going to read up on the apnea issue..Not really familiar with it. Thanks again everyone!

nwmanitou
02-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Definitely check for apnea. I have it and it has was causing me great distress. What I've found helps is taking one of those body pillows and wedging it under my back so I can't roll on my back completely. Then I like a pillow that is a little bit firm under my neck and keeps my head tilted back ever so slightly to open my airway.

Finally, exercise and weight loss has had the greatest effect so far.

diverdoc
02-14-2010, 09:27 AM
I sleep on my side left or right. Back in the day we would work an 18 hour day. Meaning you would stand watch from 0600-1200 then be back on watch from 0000-0600, then again 1800- 2400, then 1200-1800, the in-between time was spent cleaning, eating, training and sleeping, usually ony 6-7 hours of sleep. This is a day in the life of a submariner. You go through a perpetual haze that makes 6 months underwater seem short.

Now though, I am forwardly deployed working 12-15 hours a day as a staff weenie, winning the war one power point slide at a time. Just wanted you all to know that your tax dollars are not waisted on the hard working folks I am stationed with. Been here 7 months already and took one Holiday off...I called it my swine flu holiday. :(

All though not the best place for it I'd like to give a shout out to all those who are serving or have served!!! And a special shout out to Corps. Those boys are kicking ass and taking names!!! Hooyah!

NattyBumpo
02-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Unusual topic.

I have not slept regular since I came home in '69

I tend to sleep cat naps sitting in a chair.

I do like to lay down, but mostly just read or rest.

If I do fall asleep laying down I usually wake up with nightmare.

Over the years I have learned that my body likes to sleep in 2 hour snatches.

or multiples of two, but seldom more than 4.

jus_like_that
02-14-2010, 11:14 AM
I sleep on my side, but I don't sleep very well at all! 6 hours is a lie in!

wolfenhawk
02-14-2010, 11:32 AM
I used to sleep on my stomach, but when I gained weight it became an uncomfortable position. Now I usually go to sleep on my right side and sometimes sleep on my back. For some reason, when on my side, especially during the cold winter, sleeping with a pillow between my legs makes me more comfortable as well. As to sleep schedules, I usually average anywhere from 6 to 9 hrs a night, depending on how much sleep I got the previous night, and also how much physical activity I had that day as well.
I've heard of people playing sounds of ocean waves or the sound of rain to help them sleep. And I've also been told that if you are having trouble falling asleep to focus on the sound of your own breathing as you are trying to drift off. Also, if you aren't exercising regularly, you might start doing that, but up in the day or in the morning, not right before bed. I've heard that helps, and it has for me.
I hope you manage to start sleeping better, being tired all the time sux.

jungleman
02-14-2010, 01:26 PM
When I was working shifts, ie. 2200 hrs to 0600. then back again at 14.00 hre to 22.00 hrs the same day, I was hardly getting any sleep at all.
having been retired now for 16 yrs, I am still only getting 5hrs sleep.
I visied my Dr/MD and he showed me an article in the British Medical Journal,"THE LANCET" it stated that, as an example, you had a 9to5 job, every day, and one day your boss states somewon has gone sick, and instead of your 9 to 5 job you will have to work 22.00hrs to 06.00hrs, it will take your body clock 11days to get back to normal, so if you work shifts, thats one reason why you feel you cannot or are not getting enough sleep,perhaps. I was also informed, that shift work, if you work all your working life, is likely to shorten your life by 10 yrs.
Jungleman.

lowcard1
02-14-2010, 02:05 PM
I sleep mostly on my left side with a pillow between my legs.I can not give you any advice on sleeping postions but as for going to sleep try some Melatonin it will help with going to sleep . You can get it at the grocery store cvs walgreens any place like that.
If you have never heard of it just do a search on it, it will help you go to sleep.

JFro
02-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes mi madre takes Melatonin sometimes..Although, as much as I can help it, I try to stay away from any pharmacologically induced states of being..Natty, your style of sleeping reminds me of the polyphasic technique, employed by Da Vinci and some other notable characters throughout history...Many reports claim this to be the most productive sleeping cycle possible to a person
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

Check it out!

Adventure Sworn
02-15-2010, 12:17 AM
I get about 4 hours a night,5 if im lucky.

I sleep on my sides.

Ouch!

I can't fall asleep unless I'm on my stomach, but I do have pretty bad lower spine pain. I don't think it has to do with how I'm sleeping, though. I believe I have a herniated disc due to an incident involving moving a waterbed sack half-full of water (don't ask).

I noticed that sleeping on my stomach with a very firm mattress feels best for my back. I very rarely take longer than 5-10 minutes to fall asleep, and I sleep like a rock for up to 10 hours. :rolleyes:

Maybe this helps...

Cody

rik_uk3
02-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Working long night/graveyard shifts is bad for long term health. I worked shifts for years so my sleep pattern is bad. I'll often wake up in the middle of the night wide awake (some of my posts here are timestamped three in the morning UK time). More recently I was waking up for pain relief in the night but things are getting better. I find four hours solid sleep is enough for me these days.

Strange thing, when I'm camping in winter I'll sleep a straight ten hours no problem, rarely get up before 09:00 but in summer I'll be awake first light 04:30, have a brew, listen to the birds then hit the bag again for some more Zzzzzzzzzzzs.

JFro
02-15-2010, 08:59 AM
I've noticed my sleeping patterns fluctuate DRAMATICALLY when sleeping out of doors, as compared to when Im inside and my patterns are typically erratic and never consistent..Its gotta be good ole momma nature rocking our souls to sleep

jungleman
02-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Working long night/graveyard shifts is bad for long term health. I worked shifts for years so my sleep pattern is bad. I'll often wake up in the middle of the night wide awake (some of my posts here are timestamped three in the morning UK time). More recently I was waking up for pain relief in the night but things are getting better. I find four hours solid sleep is enough for me these days.

Strange thing, when I'm camping in winter I'll sleep a straight ten hours no problem, rarely get up before 09:00 but in summer I'll be awake first light 04:30, have a brew, listen to the birds then hit the bag again for some more Zzzzzzzzzzzs.

Hi Richard, it got so bad, I have been on Nitrazipam for 30 yrs now, and is THE only way I can get any sleep, and at the most 6hrs.
Jim.

Trekon86
02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Another thing I've found helps is catnip, or chamomile tea.
Catnip is more of a gentle, slower-acting, less long lasting remedy.
Chamomile tea (the bagged kind) knocks me out for hours and hours, and takes effect quickly.

For this reason I'd recommend trying catnip first lol. Plus, it grows nearly everywhere on "waste" or "disturbed" soil. Often by roadbanks, riverbanks, and in fencerows or treelines.
PMZ

rik_uk3
02-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Richard, it got so bad, I have been on Nitrazipam for 30 yrs now, and is THE only way I can get any sleep, and at the most 6hrs.
Jim.

Thats not a nice medication Jim, very old fashioned these days, chat to your GP about a change mate.

jungleman
02-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Another thing I've found helps is catnip, or chamomile tea.
Catnip is more of a gentle, slower-acting, less long lasting remedy.
Chamomile tea (the bagged kind) knocks me out for hours and hours, and takes effect quickly.

For this reason I'd recommend trying catnip first lol. Plus, it grows nearly everywhere on "waste" or "disturbed" soil. Often by roadbanks, riverbanks, and in fencerows or treelines.
PMZ
Hi Trekon86, I will have to give it a try, Iv'e been on these tablets far, far too long,
Thanks for the advice.
Jungleman;)

jungleman
02-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Thats not a nice medication Jim, very old fashioned these days, chat to your GP about a change mate.

I will makee an appointment Rich, as you say, "They are old hat" now, The only upside is, is that there is no side effects with them, but a visit will do no harm.to my G.P.
Is tomorrow night still on for you and the lads?.
Jim
Jungleman

jungleman
02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
I've noticed my sleeping patterns fluctuate DRAMATICALLY when sleeping out of doors, as compared to when Im inside and my patterns are typically erratic and never consistent..Its gotta be good ole momma nature rocking our souls to sleep

Hi. Do you live in a 24/7 noisy area, keeping you awake?.ie traffic etc.
Jungleman

rik_uk3
02-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I will makee an appointment Rich, as you say, "They are old hat" now, The only upside is, is that there is no side effects with them, but a visit will do no harm.to my G.P.
Is tomorrow night still on for you and the lads?.
Jim
Jungleman

No side effects? there are, but have a chat with the doc anyway.

JFro
02-15-2010, 05:23 PM
No..My sleeping problems are all limited to the pain I experience physically...Im not sure if you thought I meant that I couldnt sleep outside...Being outside is the only peaceful nights rest I can get...I believe because of how firm the ground is

layton13069
02-16-2010, 02:29 AM
i usually go to bed around 4 or 5am and wake up around 10 or 11 am. Wednesdays I sleep from 3-9pm because Thursdays I don't sleep at all, I work a 10 hour overnight shift from 12am thursday to 10am thursday.. I usually sleep on my side, with a cat tucked by my back, my knees, and up by my shoulder.... I also hug a body pillow, helps keep the spine aligned... Also I just bought a new bed.. FIRM. thats how I sleep..

in the woods, when I'm camping, its a sleeping bag and a 1inch foam bed roll. and usually my backpack is my pillow.

I black out my windows in my bedroom because any kind of light while I'm trying to fall asleep will keep me up (I also get some bitchin migraines if light shines on my face while I'm sleeping), also I wake up very easily so I tend to turn off anything that will make enough noise to wake me up (except the smoke detectors) so that I don't get disturbed, once I get woken up, I am up for the day. I also don't utilize an alarm clock, if I wake up by an alarm clock, I am grumpy the rest of the day.

In the woods, I have the hardest time falling asleep because of the various noises (crickets mainly) If there was an off switch for nature, I would love sleepin in the wild! lol....

jungleman
02-16-2010, 02:37 AM
No..My sleeping problems are all limited to the pain I experience physically...Im not sure if you thought I meant that I couldnt sleep outside...Being outside is the only peaceful nights rest I can get...I believe because of how firm the ground is

Hi JFro, no, I did mean indoors, I live on a main street with heavy traffic, thats part of my sleep deprived problem.
Jungleman.

jungleman
02-16-2010, 02:40 AM
No side effects? there are, but have a chat with the doc anyway.
Hi Richard, no side effects that I am aware of, perhaps there is but have never come to light such as I would noticed.
Jim.
Jungleman.

Toonman
02-16-2010, 09:57 AM
i haven't had a decent night's sleep at home since my kids were born, some 2 1/2 years ago.
Survived 2 hour nights, 4 hour interpolated nights, slept sitting and even standing up (even dreamed).
things are looking better, i only wake up at 2 and 4 in the morning to heat a bottle of milk allmost automatic. sometimes i wake at 6 because my older wants to get in our bed.
but i don't really wake up.

on the woods tho, completely diff question. 8 hours straight sleep in a hammock.
i get the same home if i sleep in the varanda with the window open, so i guess it's a carbon monoxide thing.