Thread: Canik/Tristar T-120

Thanks

Default Canik/Tristar T-120

Howdy folks!
    I guess my wife was abducted and replaced with a doppelganger the other day, because she spontaneously allowed me to get a new gun! Not wanting to take advantage, I opted to spend little. This pup caught my eye, and I sorta fell in love with it at the store. It is a Tristar T120, manufactured in Turkey by Canik. I had heard of Canik last week via Buds Gun Shop and the Canik Shark - as far as I can tell, that is a ported-barrel version of this. I love gun history, so I'll throw a little in here - if you don't, skip ahead!

The Jericho 941/Baby Eagle was designed, aesthetically, by Israeli Military Industries, based on the the Czech CZ-75 pistol. Parts were imported from the Italian company Tanfoglio who already produced a CZ-75 clone. This is a clone of the Jericho 941 - though Canik also makes regular CZ-75 clones (and a compact version of this pistol). Like its predecessors, the slide on the T120 runs inside the frame and has a full-length rail, allowing for a very tight, smooth fit and even wear over the whole rail. The frame is alloy - initially this was a concern for me, but with a ramped barrel I don't see any problems arising. Like the later Jericho models, the safety is frame-mounted rather than slide-mounted (the 1911 being my favorite and most familiar pistol bar none, frame mounted safeties are a necessity for me) and restricts the trigger, slide and hammer - none can be operated while the safety is engaged. The safety also functions with the hammer forward, at half-cock or at full-cock, allowing for Condition 1 or 2 carry. It comes with two magazines, both Mec-Gar, which is awesome! They say that they hold 17 each, but I've been loading 16 and that puts one in the lowest hole.

Field-stripping is easy - hammer to half cock, line up the notch at the back of the slide with the one on the frame and pop the slide catch out. The guide-rod has a little bump that hits a corresponding detent on the barrel link, keeping it captive. It also has an accessory rail, though I think it's a little undersized - my light (admittedly, a cheapo, but a durable one) fits fine on regular picatinny rails, but to keep it on this rail I have to tighten it down enough that the quick-detach no longer works. Still, it stays on.

I've also made some kydex for it since I wasn't sure if Jericho holsters would fit. These are my first kydex holsters, so a bit of fiddling was required - I really need to get some big clamps for this.

My second and favorite.

I might re-press this one as the definitions pretty poor - for some reason I had my oven set to 230 instead of 330 (and the damn things about 30 degrees cool anyway) and I didn't notice! It does retain the gun, though! The main reason I ditched this for the above holster is because a belt loop on my pants sat exactly where I wanted to put the holster, so I opted to have two narrow belt loops rather than one wide.

I also had an old blank I cut out for a 1911 holster that I repurposed for this. It's my first boned holster, so be kind! the leather was a bit dirty and didn't take the dye very well as you can see. Nonetheless, it works.

I took it to the range yesterday, and had a blast. The recoil was nonexistent - it really felt like nothing at all. It was difficult to resist the urge to just dump whole mags, 'cause the muzzle wasn't going anywhere. The sights were easy to acquire and even for my attention-deficit self, accuracy was childs play.

Sorry for the close-up, but it was bright as hell and the contrast of the target vs the sand makes for a tough picture. That's a 1" dot. Group of 4 making a little triangle on the right and a group of four with one flier and three breathing the same air. I feel like this gun makes me better than I am.

The gun ran without any jams or hangups, except that I couldn't load mags as fast as I could shoot em. The DA trigger is heavy, as expected, but not unbearable - the SA trigger is sweet. Both are smooth.

If I have one complaint, it's that the slide isn't as easy to grip as on guns where it runs outside the frame - I used to practice israeli draws and I could see it taking more training with this style.

I really like this gun, I hope it keeps running true! It has really surprised me. For 399, including two high-quality magazines, I'm happy as heck!

Comments/questions welcome,
    Pete

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Draven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 634 Posts

looks heavy...what's it weigh empty?
    "The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his time when it comes". - Disraeli
    Turley Knife Club Member #28

Thanks

It's not too bad - 27.4oz unloaded, vs my 1911 at 38.8 and Sig P250 at 22.7. A decent midway between steel frame and polymer frame.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Draven For This Useful Post: