Thread: An.58 steel

Thanks

Default An.58 steel

Any experience with Miguel Nieto Knives or Puma IP Knives made from An.58 steel?? There is very little "real" info on the Net, and most posted photos, seem the knives are never used much! They seem to be a "good deal" for a "handmade", not from China knife. Thanks for thoughts!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to myliep For This Useful Post:

Thanks

While Nieto has been making knives since the 50's, the AN-58 steel is a little weird. There's enough Chrome to make it stainless, but everything else is low for a knife steel (not sure what it was developed for). It's only a mid-range carbon content (0.45% C), so it won't harden up enough to keep an edge long. While it lists all the right elements in the chemical contents Moly, Vanadium and Manganese (see chem table), the numbers are all way too low for blade steel.

If those are the 2 brands you want to consider, I would find a Puma with 440C steel (read descriptions carefully, there are a bunch out there with 440A and 440B blades). Puma's a good knife. You might want to consider looking at the Boker Plus line too (almost totally 440C, or a few with the Sandvik stainless steels, all good blades); if you shop around, you can get them at a much lower price than the Boker site lists them.

Bob V.
    Last edited by RSV2400; 10-03-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Damn spell checker!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RSV2400 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, That's what I saw with the available internet info. They do claim an RC 60 for the steel; that's more than 420HC that the formula is close too (up to RC 58). I do own 440C and L6 steel blades and they all hold an edge very well. To be honest I was looking at the blade shapes and handle/grip materials in making this purchase consideration; just curious about the edge retention and if the blade was too brittle/hard (RC 60).

myliep

Thanks

If you like the "Spanish" configurations, you might want to look at Muela knives. You can get some really great deals at Aceros-de-hispania and Cuchilleriaalbecete. Again, staying with either the Sandvik stainless steels or 440C knives are your safest bet, or of course the carbon steels (but they will need more attention than the stainless blades). I'm not into the more traditional Spanish style blade shapes, but I have been lusting after the Muela Rhino lately. Happy hunting; I hope you find the perfect knife (at least for the moment - as someone once said, there's always another knife!).

Bob V.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RSV2400 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Told a guy the other day there is an actual mathematical formula for the proper number of REQUIRED items necessary: n+1; n=what you have; +1 is what requires a "kitchen-pass" to buy! Thanks,

myliep

9. The Following User Says Thank You to myliep For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thought I'd report on the "knife-buy"! The AN-58 steel is "a little weird". Out of the box it seemed "very sharp", but with 3 fairly hard uses it dulled to not being able to cut butter! I own a lot of "stuff", probably what most woodworkers have and even bought sand paper (800-12000) to give that a try. No luck; I gave it to a friend (PRO cabinet maker all by hand) and he had no luck. The knife is "pretty to look at", but I think it won't even cut my steak!

myliep

Scout
    Thanks

420HC would be a much better steel.