Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a Kellam knife?

Thanks

Kile,

Before you pul the trigger on the Kellam, I'd suggest you check out the Ahti line and compare them side by side with the Kellam Wolf Pack. Ahtis are the higher end line from the same manufacturer. A little better built with sturdier sheaths (note the metal butt plates on handles, rivets and metal reinforcing bands on sheaths, etc...). Lamnia.fi, one of our BCUSA vendors, had the lowest prices I found when I got mine (the 7" Leuku). Same blades on both, but Ahti $81 vs. $120 for the same 7" Kellam Leuku model and it had a sturdier sheath. Nice, lightweight models and good cutters/choppers with either brand name.

Bob V.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RSV2400 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

My girlfriend saw me looking at knives a while ago and said that would be a good gift for her to give me for christmas. Who am i to say no to her? Lol

I did a lot of research and decided the wolverine had the best features for the price. During my time poking around bcuk, britishblades etc i found posts by Stuart Kellam himself where he stated that the blades are their own, made on site in finland. So take it for what its worth i guess, but from the horses mouth they are not lauri or ahti blades with a kellam logo.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newfoundland woodsman For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

As I have written already a while ago Kellam is just a seller and put its name on knives made by others. It's obvious that they try to look genuine: they have to sell..

- The Wild Finn Line is made by Ahti and Korupuukko. SPT blades are simply Lauri PT blades, stamped factory made ones.
    - AK line is named after Altti Kankanpää, half retired blacksmith whose son Pauli is owner of Korupuukko. Among them there is also a puukko made by Eräpuu, actually.
    - KT line is made by Wood Jewel.
    - KP line is made by Kainuun Puukko.
    - the finnish among "historical knives" are made by YP-Taonta and Lapin puukko with added bark sheath.
    - J line is made by Iisakki Järvenpää Oy.
    - R line is made by Roselli.
    - M line is made by Marttiini.

among the "others"
    - HM line is made by WoodsKnife
    - YP line is made by YP-Taonta and Kuronen puukkos.
    - Kullervo puukkos are made by Veikko Hakkarainen of Tapio, Rovaniemi.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Frederick89 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick89 View Post
    As I have written already a while ago Kellam is just a seller and put its name on knives made by others. It's obvious that they try to look genuine: they have to sell..

- The Wild Finn Line is made by Ahti and Korupuukko. SPT blades are simply Lauri PT blades, stamped factory made ones.
    - AK line is named after Altti Kankanpää, half retired blacksmith whose son Pauli is owner of Korupuukko. Among them there is also a puukko made by Eräpuu, actually.
    - KT line is made by Wood Jewel.
    - KP line is made by Kainuun Puukko.
    - the finnish among "historical knives" are made by YP-Taonta and Lapin puukko with added bark sheath.
    - J line is made by Iisakki Järvenpää Oy.
    - R line is made by Roselli.
    - M line is made by Marttiini.

among the "others"
    - HM line is made by WoodsKnife
    - YP line is made by YP-Taonta and Kuronen puukkos.
    - Kullervo puukkos are made by Veikko Hakkarainen of Tapio, Rovaniemi.
    This is right on the money. You can compare Kellams knife lines to all the other places that sell this style of knife and you will immediately notice most on the Kellam website are made by other companies and most likely available for less if you look around a little. The link provided to the forum supporter is outstanding as is Ragweed Forge. Hope this helps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PatG For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I picked up the puukko about a year ago and love it. Razor sharp and the handle contours great for my average sized hands. I think the traditional scandi style sheath is a little awkward for belt carry but works fine and is very good quality.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossioak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Wolverine is an awesome blade. It has a thick enough stock, but surprisingly light. Check out Virtuovoice on Youtube. It's one of his favorite knives--and he has a lot of blades that he puts to hard use. The only issue is that when I first received it, the sheath was so tight that the handle stuck out more than it should have. But a bit of water and massaging and it's now perfect. Just go for it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sigmalite For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,515 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Items for Sale

screaming edge

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ripcurlksm For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Been wanting a Ranger Puukko for years just never have been able to pull the trigger on one.

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 770 Posts

Very nice blades. Yes, buy it.

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 561 Posts

I have a Kellam Wolverine and I really like the knife. It is very sharp, stays sharp and feels very comfortable in the hand for extended use. A real bargain. It is not a large knife, so your needs will dictate what you buy.

A friend that runs survival and bushcraft courses uses a Kellam Wolverine as his main knife and swears by it. Very well made and very high quality for the price. I am surprised more people don't own one!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wizard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast