Thread: Condor Heavy Duty Kukri Full Review

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 575 Posts

Default Condor Heavy Duty Kukri Full Review

I recently picked up a Condor Heavy Duty Kukri from Baryonyx Knife company, and it is simple amazing. It cost $60 but then I paid an extra $8.50 for their special grade, this means that Ben, the owner of Baryonyx Knife regrinds the blade to a super sharp convex edge, this was well worth it and Ben was super helpful with my questions. Now onto the fun part. (And sorry about the photo quality, all my money goes to gear!)

photo (4).jpg
    Specs
    It has a 10 inch 1075 carbon blade, which is 5/16 of an inch thick, walnut handles, and a leather sheath. It is quite heavy at 1.82 pounds (not my measurement but seems accurate)

After using this knife for a weekend some of its less noticeable but extremely beneficial design features came to light, for example how the spine is ground:
    photo (5).jpg
    It is squared off right in front of the handle for scraping and striking fire steels, but then the forward part where the blade drops it is rounded so when you are using it as a draw knife it is comfortable.

As a chopper it was very good, similar performance to a hatchet. The area I was camping in had a controlled burn earlier this summer, and there were many dead white pines that were 2-4 inches in diameter, due to the fire they were bone dry and almost fire hardened, the Kukri had no problem with chopping up and then splitting these.

Then I tested its carving ability by building a bow drill fire set with only the Kukri, I started with a dead standing white pine sapling, cut it down, then I split the hearth board from the widest section (by batoning the Kukri). From there I carved the spindle by holding the Kukri in a chest lever grip and carving with the re-curved section of the blade right by the handle, this was surprisingly easy despite the knife's weight or thickness.
    The finished set:
    photo (11).jpg
    some close ups of the spindle ends,
    photo (6).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    The bearing block, unknown hardwood, the point on the Kukri made a very nice drill for making this:
    photo (8).jpg
    Hearth board close up, notice how smooth the notch is, this was also done withe the re-curved section of the blade
    photo (9).jpg
    And finally a thickness comparison to a full size Benchmade Griptillian
    photo (10).jpg

This knife is quickly becoming one of my favorites, especially since the sheath is high quality (To be honest for just under $70 with the refined edge, this knife is a steel). I had never intended this, but it has reshaped some of my opinions on cutting tool systems, I now have two systems, one for the summer months and one for the winter. For the summer when fire wood is less important but a large multitasking chopper is helpful, I will now carry this Kukri and a Svord Peasant knife or a small light weight fixed blade like a Condor Sub Tavian, and leave out a heavy bushcraft style fixed blade entirely. Then for the winter when fire wood is more important I will go back to my old year round system of a heavy duty bushcraft fixed blade like an Enzo trapper and my Grandfors Bruks SFA.

For me the Condor Heavy Duty Kukri is the tool that I would take if I could only have one tool to survive int the wilderness with. I think that sums up my opinion on it pretty well!

The only thing other then the weight, (and this shouldn't be a problem since you know that going into the deal), that some people might not like is the size of the handle, it is quite large, about the same circumference as my GB SFA handle near the handle knob.

P.S. For any one looking for more info on Kukris the youtube channel blackoracle69 has a very informative 4 part series on the kukri's history, use, and care. Also this was my first review, so I am open to suggestions/improvements, and if I didn't answer your question just ask

Guide Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,780 Times in 2,626 Posts

Nice review!
    Being crazy isn't enough. ― Dr. Seuss
    Tracker Pack #22
    The Green Ridge Gang
    Check out my website - WeHikedIt.com !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazysanman For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Cool

Nice review of an interesting knife. By coincidence, I recently read an article about this and other big Condor choppers. This second reviewer did not give quite as high a grade to the Heavy Duty Kukri, for his work in his region.

I refer to Tactical Knives (November 2013) and an article by Steven Dick, "Condor's Tools & Knives". Steven Dick, who really does know machetes and kukris and parangs, found the Heavy Duty Kukri a little too short for some work and a little too thick for some other work. It is a good article to read, because he also reviews three other Condor chopping tools.

"Different strokes for different folks" is a good saying to remember. I wish I had the opportunity to try the Heavy Duty Kukri. It is probably great to carry on a belt; I only suggest that a person should check as many reviews as possible before making a purchase. Faiaoga
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 10-23-2013 at 09:04 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Faiaoga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faiaoga View Post
    Nice review of an interesting knife. By coincidence, I recently read an article about this and other big Condor choppers. This second reviewer did not give quite as high a grade to the Heavy Duty Kukri, for his work in his region.

I refer to Tactical Knives (November 2013) and an article by Steven Dick, "Condor's Tools & Knives". Steven Dick, who really does know machetes and kukris and parangs, found the Heavy Duty Kukri a little too short for some work and a little too thick for some other work. It is a good article to read, because he also reviews three other Condor chopping tools.

"Different strokes for different folks" is a good saying to remember. I wish I had the opportunity to try the Heavy Duty Kukri. It is probably great to carry on a belt; I only suggest that a person should check as many reviews as possible before making a purchase. Faiaoga
    I agree on that it is short compared to some machetes, but on the other hand by true kukri standards it is thin (I have heard traditional kukris can get into the 1/2" range as far as thickness). Also I can't speak for the factory grind, as Ben convexed the edge before I got it, but I have heard others say that the factory edge is too thick from the factory.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charcoal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,248 Posts

I love the kukri design and its usefulness. This one is on my to get list, but so is a couple from HI and khukri house.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to freebirdfb For This Useful Post: