Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Me, some friends, and 400 acres of private, pristine woodlands.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 324 Posts

Default Me, some friends, and 400 acres of private, pristine woodlands.

Some friends of mine have a "farm" that's been in the family for 60 years out in the boonies of east KS. In reality however the land has been allowed to run wild for the past 50 years and is now some of the prettiest woods you ever did see. They only use the land for occasional family day trips where they mostly stay by the lake contained on the property and fish. They haven't even used it for an overnight camping trip in all that time. Anyway, this weekend they invited me and some other friends out there for the day. Here are a few pictures I took.

When they were describing the land to me, all they talked about was how it wasn't really fit for camping because of how overgrown it is. I did my best to explain to them that that only made me want to experience it that much more, but I don't think they understood. When you hear the screech of branches on your car while you're getting to a site, that's a good thing. There was no road to speak of.
    IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2747.jpg

I watched them trying to start a fire with a couple green twigs and a match until I couldn't stand it any more and explained that prep work was 90% of fire building.
    IMG_2750.jpg

The whole group started to go on a hike, but only made it about a quarter mile before deciding to turn back and enjoy the lake, so I continued on my own and hiked the whole property. I saw some country that (aside from trespassers) probably hadn't been seen in 50 years at least. There are no trails except those made by wildlife.
    IMG_2751.jpgIMG_2752.jpgIMG_2753.jpg

Some of it was pretty thick, but those are the places where you sometimes find real gems. This guy was hiding under a log in some lowlands. I counted 5 tines on the more complete antler. The land hasn't been hunted at all since they acquired it because some of the relatives who also have a stake in the property are ardent environmentalists, vegans, and animal lovers. The number and size of the deer on the property makes me go numb just thinking about it, but more on that later.
    IMG_2771.jpg

New hood ornament?
    IMG_2772.jpg

Pretty fall colors, but don't touch.
    IMG_2754.jpg

Some more miscellaneous pics.
    IMG_2755.jpg

Thanks

Continued...
    IMG_2756.jpgIMG_2757.jpgIMG_2758.jpg

The trees were stuffed to the gills with persimmons. Even found some ripe ones. Delicious!
    IMG_2759.jpgIMG_2760.jpg

Moving on, I found some nuts (sorry, I can't remember the name of them right now) so I stopped and enjoyed those too.
    IMG_2770.jpgIMG_2761.jpg

I just thought this rock was cool looking, so I snapped a picture.
    IMG_2763.jpg

Thanks

And then the real excitement of the day happened. I scared up a doe which bounded away. I froze, knowing that where one deer is there are often more. Sure enough, 30 seconds after she left I heard a crashin and a smashin and what should come galloping by but this guy hot on her tail! He passed by me about 10 yards away and never knew I was there till he got downwind (I was wearing a plaid wool shirt and jeans). He paused right there long enough for me to get out my camera and snap a couple pictures! Then he snorted and continued after the lady. I stayed right where I was, letting my heart rate go down and thanking God for the experience, but 30 seconds later, another deer about the same size as the first passed by, chasing the same doe. He didn't offer me any pictures though, just sniffed the wind from behind cover. I wouldn't want to be between those two when the meet. As it was, I was glad for the reassurance of the .45 on my hip.
    IMG_2765.jpgIMG_2766.jpg

Once my pulse was back to normal, I continued on my way and got some wonderful overlooks of the lake with my friends on it.
    IMG_2767.jpgIMG_2768.jpg

The fall foliage was a real treat!
    IMG_2769.jpg

As the sun was setting, we pulled out some .22 rifles and I slipped the .22 conversion kit on my .45 and we enjoyed a bit of shooting. It was a real privilege for me to get to educate some of the people in gun use and safety, particularly with the handgun. Firearms are near and dear to my heart and I've had some world class coaches throughout the years, it's a pleasure to get to pass on some of that enjoyment to others. Unfortunately, my coaching duties prevented me from getting any more pictures, so I'll conclude with the requisite sunset pic.
    IMG_2773.jpg
    Last edited by nigermk; 11-04-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adahy View Post
    Very nice.

Those look like shagbark hickory nuts. Did they taste sort of like pecans?
    I kept thinking hickory nuts, but was 2nd guessing myself. I'm no wild edibles expert, I just know a few things that are good to eat even though I may not know the name. Thanks for educating me!

Thanks

Sorry for the sideways growing trees guys, I can't figure out how to fix them. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Beautiful piece of property right there!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,178 Times in 1,043 Posts

I love being out in the forrest when all the leaves are changing, thanks for sharing!
    Micro WSK Pack plank owner

"Live while you're alive because everyone dies." JLRider

Original Turley Knife Club member #1 (defunct) New Turley Knife Club member #55

Thanks
    Thanked 2,129 Times in 442 Posts

Upload your pics to photo bucket, then copy and paste the img code to your post. Much easier tan trying to manage files on the forum.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cp4056 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,129 Times in 442 Posts

Great outing by the way, thanks for the pics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cp4056 View Post
    Upload your pics to photo bucket, then copy and paste the img code to your post. Much easier tan trying to manage files on the forum.
    Yeah, I thought of that, but I want the pictures to be here in the future for others to enjoy. They go away if you change your photobucket album at all, and I like to keep my photobucket pretty limited as far as what pictures I put there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast