Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your feet dry inside winter boots?

Thanks

Default How do you keep your feet dry inside winter boots?

For the first time ever I purchased a good pair of winter boots. Picked up a pair of Sorrel Alexandria boots that are waterproof and warm down to -30 degrees.
    My feet being cold has always been my biggest winter complaint.
    It has been pretty cold here lately so I decided to wear them and break them in, but if I wear them for more than an hour my feet are soaking wet from sweat.
    I am wearing wool socks with them.

How do you keep your feet warm and dry in a good pair of boots?

Mod Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,540 Times in 4,131 Posts

Vapor barrier socks are supposed to really help.
    Nights camped in 2014---19, so far.

"If you're passionate about something, you can't do it half-assed. It won't work. It's either all or nothing. If you're not going to give it your all, stop wasting your time"

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL------->http://www.youtube.com/user/josephallen19

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RangerJoe For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 168 Posts

I totally hate Sorrels for that reason and a couple more. In extreme cold the liners will freeze into the boots, the liners are almost impossible to dry over night in the house and impossible if your are camping. I used them for several years until I found Ice King and Iceman boots. They have a foam liner with a poly pro shell and sole. The boot has a rubber bottom that is also insulated. I have never had a cold foot even at minus -60. At temps above freezing my feet never get wet because of the wicking action of the liners. When I take off my boots my socks are dry and I only wear one pair of Dickies cotton work socks.

With the foam liner it is like walking in house slippers very comfortable. The Iceman rated at -60 is comfortable at +40.

I think the Icemen are rated at -60, the Ice King at -90 and the Iditarod at -125, I have and used all 3 at different times and they are my favorite winter boots.

Where do you live and what are the winter temperatures in your area? What type of winter actives will you be engaged in? If it is setting in a blind or ice fishing where you aren't moving these are the boots you want.
    Last edited by Bad Hand; 12-09-2013 at 12:19 AM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bad Hand For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,889 Times in 1,568 Posts
    Items for Sale

The boots seem like they are possibly to warm for the conditions. Who knows how they rate them, but another key is that they fit right. Boots for cold weather should be a little loose, so air pockets are created around the foot helping with insulation and allowing your foot to breate. Wool socks won't keep your feet dry but assist in pulling moisture from your foot and adding to the warmth factor. I looked up your boot and you might play with how you lace them up, so they are supportive but not laced tight. Happy day

PS a Peet boot dryer is worth every penny for drying out your boots also
    Last edited by BigDaddyHoss; 12-08-2013 at 11:47 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigDaddyHoss For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Women's knee highs as liners.

Old trick taught to me by an SF student I met who was a Ranger and general ground-pounder. Wear women's knee-highs and then put on wool socks. Wicks the sweat away to the wool and keeps the feet dry (hence warm) in winter, and takes up the friction on the foot hence no blisters.

They take up no space whatsoever in the pack and weigh nothing.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Global Village Idiot For This Useful Post:

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified tennecedar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,247 Times in 1,525 Posts

I wear Sorel Blizzard boots and they are great for when they needed. But they are overly warm unless I'm in snow. I use Gold Bond down in the boot and it helps with moisture. I mainly use them for when I'm stationary for extended periods.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tennecedar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a similar problem. My feet sweat and if it continues, I get a bitchin' case of athlete's foot.

8 years in AK taught me, if your boots are waterproof, water (aka sweat) can't get out, either. The Bunny Boots/Mickey Mouse boots/Vapor Barrier boots used by the US military are used quite a bit up there, but I might as well wrap my feet in cling film.

I went with Lobben's boots. Basically a felt boot liner with a rubber sole and laces attached. With a couple pairs of wool socks, I was pretty cozy down to around -30F or so. Lower if I was moving around. They aren't waterproof, but they also dry out in a REALLY short time while standing in front of a fire or while in your vehicle.

Mario

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mario For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Global Village Idiot View Post
    Wear women's knee-highs and then put on wool socks. Wicks the sweat away to the wool and keeps the feet dry (hence warm) in winter, and takes up the friction on the foot hence no blisters.

They take up no space whatsoever in the pack and weigh nothing.
    That was my first thought, then decided not to specifically say womens knee highs. Thanks Global Village Idiot for not being embarrassed as I would have been.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Indiana For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wicking liners I "listen" to my feet as to determine how thick of wool socks I need. Otherwise, carry spares and change them often

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountainman300 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,470 Times in 1,112 Posts

You need some vapor barriers. Whats happening is your sweat is getting trapped in your waterproof boots.
    A vapor barrier is basically like plastic, it won't let any water in or out. Your sweat will be trapped in the vapor barrier next to your skin and unable to get into your boots insulation. You should wear some super thin liners under the vapor barriers for comfort.
    Fortunately a vapor barrier can be very cheap and easy. Just find yourself a plastic bread bag or grocery bag and put those on under your wool socks.

Avoid the womens boots if you plan on using them in the woods. A lot of the womens winter clothing is fashionable and impracticable. The mens boots will work just fine if you adjust for sizing.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to justin_baker For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast