Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawk or Hatchet

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 467 Posts

I have several "hawks" and a number of hatchets. About the only time I grab one of the hawks is when I want to practice my throwing. My hawks can be thrown effectively, and make better weapons. The hatchets are better at everything else. If you are going with only one, I would recommend the hatchet.

Thanks

If you are not concerned about weight, I would recommend a small forest axe of some sort. A slightly longer handle allows for more working moment where the tool does more of the work than your arms and so you conserves some energy. This is just my personal opinion, but I would go with something that has a 19"-22" handle.

When I worked with a hawk, I felt like I had to work a lot for small results. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but it seems to me a hawk is more of a weapon than a bush tool, but that's just me.

Supporter Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

Well I won't be throwing either one, as the last time I tried throwing a knife I ended up slicing my cheek open, a trip to the ER and got 9 stitches. Came extremely close to loosing my eye. And mom was pretty mad I got blood all over my shirt. Lol. I hopefully won't need it as a weapon as I carry a pistol for that. Looks like a good hatchet is in the works. Not going to ask for recommendations on that as I want one that feels good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - Henry David Thoreau.

Thanks

I only have 2 hawks, with my latest one being a cs trail hawk. and since I enjoy recreation of times past, I stay with them. I do like my older black hawk the best though, as It has a longer edge and twice the weight so I won't have to work as hard. I did cut the handle shorter though as I didn't like the end hitting below the knee when wearing in belt.
    Last edited by JAY; 12-12-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks

Lots of good responses here.

Will add that IMO a hawk is better at more detailed camp related tasks than the hatchet. Can remove the hawk head and use as a hand tool for carving/chiseling type work rather than a knife. I also prefer mine for fire making tasks as a change from knife work. A hawk can easily be re-handled in the field as well. I don't view mine as a weapon for throwing.

A fixed axe head belongs on a 18"-20" handle. Anything smaller is the hawk. Again, just my very humble opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 514 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Jim View Post
    I'd would be using it for splitting and chopping. Maybe 3-4" trees. Won't be cutting down anything much bigger then that. I have a full size axe for bigger stuff. I just see a lot of posts on hawks, so I wondered if they were more versatile then a hatchet. I'm sure there are a lot of tricks to using both. I've never used a hawk, just hatchets and axes.
    From what you describe...You could make a hawk work. BUT it will take a lot more effort. A hatchet with a 18-20" helve would be sweet for your needs.

Just my thoughts, Tom
    Double Ott.... aka: Tom.... "The Axe Mob "

Thanks
    Thanked 11,989 Times in 2,717 Posts

I love my hawks but when I am gonna do some serious chopping I take one of my hatchets or boys axe with me, I hafted a 2 lb head with a 18 inch handle that I really like and it has enough heft to drive stakes too.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong!
    Just my opinion, I COULD be wrong!!

Turley #88 GEEZER

AXE MOB

Tracker
    Thanks

I have a Cold Steel rifleman's hawk, and really like it. It is heavy for a tomahawk, but this is a plus when chopping, since the greater weight make the copping easier. Tomahawks are not as efficient for splitting larger pieces of wood, though, so if you are in an area where you intend to do lots of heavy splitting (especially if splitting hardwood), then I think a hatchet or forest axe is the way to go.

For me, the main difference between a hawk and an axe is the profile and thickness of the head when viewed from the top, which alters their useful characteristics. See link for example:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...e/hawkvaxe.jpg

The tomahawk's thinner profile makes it weigh less, but also makes it less efficient for splitting. The axe/hatchet's thicker, wedge-shaped profile and greater weight makes it quite effective for splitting in comparison. Both are good for chopping, but as has been mentioned on this and other threads the tomahawk is easier to take down for ease of storage/transportation, using the head as a drawknife, etc.

One hatchet I had as a teenager became my favorite after its original short handle broke. The hardware store at the time only had 24-or-so inch replacement handles, and so I ended up with what I now know to be a "forest axe", and I loved it! It was similar in weight to a hatchet and I could still use it with one hand if I wanted, but I could also chop with it using two hands like an axe. I loved the versatility, and used that modified hatchet/forest axe for 3-4 years straight when I was a Boy Scout. I still miss it today. My Cold Steel rifleman's hawk is similar to it in size, and that's probably one of the reasons I like my rifleman's hawk so much.

Has Been Bushcrafter Supporter Nakadnu's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 585 Posts

IMHO a hatchet is a much better tool for woodswork such as splitting firewood or felling small trees.
    I personally like to use a tomahawk whenever possible though. A hawk just has that "cool factor". It is comparable to using a flint and steel and charcloth to start your campfire as opposed to using a bic lighter and newspaper. When I am all alone out in the sticks and I look down at my tomahawk it gives me a feeling of the old days. Think of it as a prop in the "escape" I am looking for when I go awandering. Do you want to be efficient or do you want the experience? Only you can answer this.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nakadnu For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

In my experience, a Cold Steel hawk isn't much of a chopper compared to a finer crafted hawk like a Wolf Creek Forge. My camp hawk from WCF is pretty darn competitive when comparing it to a hatchet like the GB Wildlife.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast