Thread: Lead Bullets, Going, Going, Gone?

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Lead Bullets, Going, Going, Gone?

Earlier today I read on the Fox News App that the last US Lead Smelter will close its doors on 12/31/2013. The EPA ordered the shutdown "citing emissions", so it appears lead bullets are an endangered species. Copper based bullets are the approved alternative, so considering the cost of ammo now, get ready, it will be going up even more.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piddler For This Useful Post:

Staff Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,108 Times in 7,298 Posts
    Items for Sale

Several threads on this already.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leif For This Useful Post:

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified tennecedar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,248 Times in 1,525 Posts

90% of my bullets are coming from Mexico and Serbia.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tennecedar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,686 Times in 918 Posts

maybe he has internet explorer and hasnt seen the thread?

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Slips73 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

As with many of the similar articles that have appear on the infonet it's basically much to do about nothing. The author of the articles is ill informed on several issues in the article. The lead smelter in question doesn't even produce lead alloy for US bullet mfg. as they use recycled lead from both domestic and imported sources. There main function was to supply lead to companies that make car batteries and when in full capacity could only cover 10% of that market let along for bullet mfg.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...&submit=Search

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reloader7.62 For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks

I'm less concerned with the smelter issue as with the potentially abusive power of EPA. If lead were banned from ammunition, even the ubiquitous .22 rimfire would become history, or at least excessively expensive…I mean more so than now. I think this story merits some "squawk" to both legislative and executive branches.

PC

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeterCartwright For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 347 Posts

From Drudgereport.com today........http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...-Regs-Military

Thanks to EPA regulations, state regulations, and military goals, traditional lead ammo is on its way out and "green bullets" are on their way in.

As Breitbart News reported on December 1, EPA regulations led to the closing of the Herculaneam lead smelter in Herculaneum, Missouri, which is expected to push up prices for traditional lead ammo.

On top of this are regulations like the recent statewide lead ammo ban in California. Signed by Governor Jerry Brown (D) on October 11, this ban forces hunters to seek out nontraditional alternatives for their ammunition. In this way, the ban mandates "green bullets" by default.

Moreover, as Fox News reports, the military has set 2018 as its target date to have troops operating lead-ammo-free. "Green bullets" have been under testing at Picatinny Arsenal since 2010, and the Army plans to issue "a lead-free version of the 7.62 mm rounds fired from M-14 rifles... in 2014." The Army already switched to a greener 5.56 mm "enhanced performance round" in 2010.

With the military committing to the switch, the EPA making smelting a tougher business, and governors passing state-level lead ammo bans, experts say "lead bullets will be all but phased out within a few years in favor of so-called green bullets."

Does the new ammo perform as well as the old? That is one question that has yet to be answered.

More importantly, can we afford or even buy the new "Green" ammo?
    Last edited by firefighter49; 12-19-2013 at 01:39 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firefighter49 For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,995 Times in 867 Posts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter49 View Post
    More importantly, can we afford or even buy the new "Green" ammo?
    I can tell you that a box of 308 165 gr Core Lokts are $22 a box and the last two boxes of Barnes 168 gr TTSX were $47 a piece. I buy a box of 308 Core Lokts whenever I can afford to and just squirrel them away, same with 22's but good luck on finding any.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunt4lyf For This Useful Post: