Page 31 of 569 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Gallery -- Pics

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Nice knives chaps... heres mine (testing out the new camera)

Last edited by SolFox; 11-17-2009 at 08:24 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SolFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,849 Times in 568 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SolFox View Post
    Nice knives chaps... heres mine (testing out the new camera)

I like those Skookum sheaths. Who made the knife?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,203 Posts

I was trying to figure out where to post this, and this thread title is perfect!
    This is the first knife my son has made. He started it when he was 16. It's just under 15", with a 9 1/2" blade. He was going to make quillions out of antler, but then opted for a modified D-guard for a knuckle guard. The design proved its worth the first time he chopped kindling with it!
    I'd be remiss if I didn't thank Sticks for his advice, in another time and place, regarding hardening and tempering the mild steel.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Old Philosopher For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinemtns66 View Post
    I like those Skookum sheaths. Who made the knife?
    Terry Kidd

_
    Last edited by SolFox; 11-18-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks

Default #### from Argentina

SAK

Fixeds

More Fixeds

"This is a knife"

Sorry for the image quality!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Teno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,769 Times in 7,570 Posts

Third picture- right side- second knife down- has a metal sheath- I have a knife identical to that brought back from Argentina by my father in law, as a Gaucho knife. I am interested in any comments, history, or usage about those knives <g>. (He was from Uruguay originally, came to U.S. after the end of WW II).
    Nemo me impune lacessit !

Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    New Turley Knife Club Member #59

Thanks

Default Gaucho knife

Well, gauchos rely solely on their knifes to do pretty much. Used to skin animals, cook, build shelters, fight, wherever the task is, most of it can be done with the 'facon'.
    The one in the picture, anyways, is not the classic facon. It more a sort of small deluxe knife, (puņal) used to be shown in reunions and partys, Classic puņals are not much larger than it.
    They were made from old french files, and broken bayonets. Rarely a gaucho can afford a smith to build a knife, so they use to gather as much as they need to build one, and some 'handy man' form the blade, put the handle and make the sheath.
    The lucky ones or rich use to carry 2 or 3 at the same time
    A very long one, usually a facon caronero, about 50~80 cms blade, narrow but thick, doubled edged at the point. Mostly to fight, indians and another gauchos, build shelters llke a machete and kill a wide range of animals.
    A second one, like the shown on the picture but whith a leather sheath, puņal, to do common tasks, like eating, skinning, etc.
    And a third called verijero, used like a skinner, and last resort in a fight.
    The common gaucho carry only one not more that 50cm blade with differential edge angles. Handles were made from many materials depending on the zone.
    To quick identify a classic gaucho knife think in this.
    A facon use to have an S guard, and use to be big or long.
    A puņal does not have a guard at all and is a close parent to the fighting dagger.
    Classic verijeros dont have a guard and looks like the knife above the one you mention it and is common to found models with some filework.
    I hope to solve your doubts.
    Thanks,
    Marcelo from Argentina

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teno For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

here are my work knives.

Bernie Garland Woodsman B&T

A Lauri Necker i handled with birdseye maple

And a few more

ATB
    Josh

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to siberianfury For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here are mine.

The majority of my collection

These are my favorites and most used

Ryan.......

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bushbumming29 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,769 Times in 7,570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teno View Post
    Well, gauchos rely solely on their knifes to do pretty much. Used to skin animals, cook, build shelters, fight, wherever the task is, most of it can be done with the 'facon'.
    The one in the picture, anyways, is not the classic facon. It more a sort of small deluxe knife, (puņal) used to be shown in reunions and partys, Classic puņals are not much larger than it.
    They were made from old french files, and broken bayonets. Rarely a gaucho can afford a smith to build a knife, so they use to gather as much as they need to build one, and some 'handy man' form the blade, put the handle and make the sheath.
    The lucky ones or rich use to carry 2 or 3 at the same time
    A very long one, usually a facon caronero, about 50~80 cms blade, narrow but thick, doubled edged at the point. Mostly to fight, indians and another gauchos, build shelters llke a machete and kill a wide range of animals.
    A second one, like the shown on the picture but whith a leather sheath, puņal, to do common tasks, like eating, skinning, etc.
    And a third called verijero, used like a skinner, and last resort in a fight.
    The common gaucho carry only one not more that 50cm blade with differential edge angles. Handles were made from many materials depending on the zone.
    To quick identify a classic gaucho knife think in this.
    A facon use to have an S guard, and use to be big or long.
    A puņal does not have a guard at all and is a close parent to the fighting dagger.
    Classic verijeros dont have a guard and looks like the knife above the one you mention it and is common to found models with some filework.
    I hope to solve your doubts.
    Thanks,
    Marcelo from Argentina
    Marcelo, thank you very much. I have in storage the gaucho knife that was carried by my father in law, and if I remember correctly, it is a bit larger than the one he gave me, and certainly had more handwork to it. If I can find it, I will post pictures of it. Your explanation was very clear, and I plan to save it for my wife to read. Thank you, G1
    Nemo me impune lacessit !

Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    New Turley Knife Club Member #59

Page 31 of 569 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast