Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff White Bush One knife initial impressions (PICS)

Weekend Woodsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

Default Jeff White Bush One knife initial impressions (PICS)

My Bush One arrived today, and just thought I would share some initial impressions. I've yet to use the knife, but so far I'm really liking what I'm holding. As far as I'm concerned, for $40 shipped, this is the best value you will find for a hand-forged, made-in-the-USA bushcraft knife.

I should note that there was a mixup with my shipment, and I had a little trouble getting a hold of Jeff for a few days. However, once I did talk to Jeff, he was extremely helpful. He sent out a new knife without even trying to track down the initial shipment. He just got a new one out to me quickly, and sincerely apologized for the inconvenience. He's a small maker (which was something that really appealed to me about his knives), so occasional hiccups like mine are to be expected. Personally, I place much more value in artisan craftsmanship than I do slick marketing and big customer service call centers, so this delayed order--while not ideal-- does not make me hesitant to recommend Jeff White's knives in the least bit. The product itself more than makes up for it.

Okay, on to the Bush One specs...

Per Jeff's website... The blade is 4 1/2”long, 1 1/2” wide, and 3/32” (0.094”) thick. Knife is 9 1/2" in overall length (mine is slightly shorter). Curly maple handles with brass pins. More info on Jeff's website here... http://bladesmithjeffwhite.com/Knive...=0&id=30578673

On my scale the knife weighed in at 4.0 ounces. My scale only does 0.2oz increments, so the actual weight could be anywhere from 3.91 to 4.09 ounces. Regardless, it is lightweight and easy to carry. For comparison, my Condor Bushlore weighs 6.2oz, and my Green River Hunter weighs in at 3.8oz. I expect the Bush One to be much more capable at woodcrafting than the Green River.

The size, weight, and feel of the Bush One are exactly what I expected, and (as planned) it will be my primary belt knife.

The grind is listed as flat, but mine has a bit of a convex bevel to it...

Fits nice and snug in the Condor Bushlore sheath...

Very sharp upon arrival. Shaves hair off my arm and makes feather sticks with ease.

Comparison...(from top) Bush One, Green River Hunter, Condor Bushlore, Mora Classic #1, Mora 511, Mora Bushcraft

spines...
    Last edited by southernbayou; Yesterday at 05:58 PM.

BushClass Intermediate Progress :: Lessons — 4/11 | Electives — 4/7
    Hardwoodsman Challenge Progress :: Stage One — 2/8

Thanks

I ordered a Bush One from Jeff a while back, Herself tells me it came in the mail today, (AND wanted to know how much it cost!!!).

Reviews are that Jeff's knives are quite good, but I'm going to have to find a sheath for it I guess,,,,

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haggis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    I ordered a Bush One from Jeff a while back, Herself tells me it came in the mail today, (AND wanted to know how much it cost!!!).

Reviews are that Jeff's knives are quite good, but I'm going to have to find a sheath for it I guess,,,,
    Check out Robert Jones' (Beo-wulf) sheaths. He is a good friend of Jeff White's, and a distributor of his knives. He actually sells the knife and sheath combo, so I would imagine he knows how to make a sheath for the Bush One better than anyone. http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/forumd...y-Robert-Jones
    Last edited by southernbayou; 04-21-2014 at 08:14 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to southernbayou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 1,324 Posts

Thanks for the review. That knife has been on my radar for awhile now.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks southernbayou, I may do that. BUT, I was rifling through my knife drawer and found an old sheath, (one I've have 43 years), that fits it like a glove. Herself says I need to break out the saddle soap and clean up the leather though, 'cause the old sheath is looking its age.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haggis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Thanks southernbayou, I may do that. BUT, I was rifling through my knife drawer and found an old sheath, (one I've have 43 years), that fits it like a glove. Herself says I need to break out the saddle soap and clean up the leather though, 'cause the old sheath is looking its age.
    Nice. I have no plans of purchasing a new sheath either. The Condor one will work for me.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southernbayou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,511 Times in 455 Posts

I'll say it again. His knives are the best bang for the buck out there. Beo-wulf makes sheaths for his knives. Jeff also sells knives at Jas. Townsend & Sons.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lichen For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks for the review. Mine is in the mail and I will be using a sheath from simply rugged. Rob has supplied me with leather goods for many firearms and knives. Highly recommend his work.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rjohns94 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,147 Posts

I really like the thin steel he uses on these. I do believe it is the same as the mini muk of his I have. I'm very tempted to pick one of these up once I have the funds. Only thing that would make it better is a hardened buttcap so I could use it as a sounding hammer also lol... then I wouldn't have to carry the sounding hammer for work.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanitas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 534 Posts

Just got mine the other day and made a sheath. Still needs the final touches, but its almost done. I love the knife, too. It's quelled my urge to drop much more $$$ on some other custom, at least for now. That makes my wife happy, which of course makes me happy. Good stuff all around.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohaveGreen For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast