Thread: BAKR-BILT bushcraft

Thanks

Default BAKR-BILT bushcraft

I know they are on the high end of what a person would pay for a knife, but I thought I would share a story and a photo of a custom knife I asked Owen Baker of BAKR-BILT knives to build.

Cover photo copy2.jpg

Bow drill.JPG

What I like about going to a custom knife marker, like Owen Baker, is that you can help influence the design of a knife from the ground up. Its truly built to YOUR preference; hence the term “custom made”. Although the blade is similar to many other bushcraft styled knives, it’s the way this knife works with the custom sheath that makes it unique (Owen probably puts as much effort into the sheath as he does the knife.)

Leatherwork copy2.jpg

Anyway … I had the opportunity to write an article in Sporting Classics Daily about this knife and it was published in their online magazine today (I hope I did the bushcraft community justice when I wrote the article). If you’re interested, you can read the article here: http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/iss...ping-bushcraft

As a backstory to the knife, I wanted to pay tribute to a man who mentored me in the outdoors as a young man. It was my Uncle Bill. He was the man who taught me the old ways of camping, canoeing and cooking over fire. In camp, beside a good campfire, he was the person who gifted me with my fist custom knife. After his passing I found myself with no one to share classical camping and bushcraft with, but it was forums like this that eventually got me out with folks with similar interest and people have become life long friends.

When the knife was completed and I pulled it out of the sheath I was stunned and speechless. It wasn’t just the beauty of a custom made knife that grabbed my attention. It was the serial number 1139. It was the year my uncle was born and the month of his passing. It was also the combination to the family 1200-acre hunt/camp property we shared for 30 years. Owen’s serial numbers are sequential. So let me ask, is it mere chance this was the one thousandth, one hundredth and thirty ninth knife that Owen just happened to build for me? Well… I don’t know if I can answer that question myself, but I can tell you this is a knife I will always have significance when I wander the woods.

As a word of advice, if you have ever had that person who patiently took time and interest in developing your skill and character as a man, make sure you take a moment to honor him, and then… pass it on.
    Last edited by AllRiversSouth; 02-12-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,538 Times in 3,391 Posts

Right on.. Cool article.. That is a sweet looking knife and sheath.. I like it..
    >>>---LIFE IS A KNIFE---->

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnfolk Mike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 847 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rscornutt For This Useful Post:

Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 12,855 Times in 1,748 Posts

That is a very nice system and very innovative. Great backstory too. Thanks for sharing this.
    TRACKER PACK #32

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JollyRoger3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks! I'm with you on the "innovation". I have looked and never seen the way he seats the ferro-rod with a tether in the sheath, nor the way he uses a hole cut in the sheath to use the bow drill socket without exposing the blade. Its and awesome system! I'm sure it will be copied in the future, but I hopeful they would at least give credit to the inventor and call it a "Bakr" styled sheath. Thanks for the feedback.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllRiversSouth For This Useful Post: