Thread: serious flea market find

Tracker
    Thanks

Default serious flea market find

Anything you can tell me about this axe is appreciated. Would the handle be original? What handle would you use ?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to batmanacw For This Useful Post:

Guide BCUSA Friend
    Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,340 Times in 978 Posts

Not an expert by any means, but that handle seems way short for the head. Nice find though!
    Bill Bryson: A grizzly may chew on a limp form for a minute or two but generally will lose interest and shuffle off. With black bears, however, playing dead is futile, since they will continue chewing on you until you are considerably past caring. It is also foolish to climb a tree because black bears are adroit climbers and…you will simply end up fighting the bear in a tree,

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Handles like that were used mostly for wood-stove axes. Easier to split up the bit of wood with a short handle rather than a big bugger. Any marks on the sucker?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DarthTaco For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarthTaco View Post
    Handles like that were used mostly for wood-stove axes. Easier to split up the bit of wood with a short handle rather than a big bugger. Any marks on the sucker?
    No marks at all. To bad too. I was thinking about a Miners axe handle but with such a huge head I am thinking more conventional. I will find a smaller head for a miners axe configuration.

I love the shape of this head. It's one of the best I've ever seen at the flea market. I paid $8.

Thanks

If you've got any vinegar this qualifies for a soak in it. Got a fairly vintage shape to it and looks like the bit may be forge welded in. It could be a Miners axe but the handle lengths would be fairly similar to one another.
    Last edited by DarthTaco; Yesterday at 07:11 PM.

Tracker
    Thanks

If you've got any vinegar this qualifies for a soak in it. Got a fairly vintage shape to it and looks like the bit may be forge welded in. It could be a Miners axe but the handle lengths would be fairly similar to one another.
    I just put it in vinegar. How many days soaking?

I guess I may just put a nice 36" conventional handle in it. I love the shape and the slightly closed angle.

Thanks

Depends on the weight. If it's anywhere around 3 lbs I'd say 28-32 is your best bet.

Tracker
    Thanks

Depends on the weight. If it's anywhere around 3 lbs I'd say 28-32 is your best bet.
    I didn't weigh it yet but I bet it's 6 lbs + easy. It is quite a bit heavier than my 5 lb craftsman.

Thanks

Wowzer, that's quite the head. Yeah, 36 is a better bet. Depending on the level of crud on the head, it could range from 12 hours, to a day, to even a week to get it fully de-nastied.

Tracker
    Thanks

Wowzer, that's quite the head. Yeah, 36 is a better bet. Depending on the level of crud on the head, it could range from 12 hours, to a day, to even a week to get it fully de-nastied.
    It has a very thin layer of rust and it looks like some tar on it. I will flip it over tomorrow evening and see how it looks.

This has the least amount of rust of any of the big heads I bought at the flea market. It's in great shape.