Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***Opinions and help needed with a pocket knife***

Tracker
    Thanks

Angry ***Opinions and help needed with a pocket knife***

Over the years, I've bought over 100 pocket knives and still own well over 40 pocket knives. For whatever reason, if I don't like a knife enough, I will either return it, sell it, or trade it.

I have Benchmades, Bradley's, Spydercos, Kershaws, CRKTs, Bucks, Bokers, and Cold Steel. I just realized that I have never bought a Sog... until Friday. I found a Sog Trident at my local Wally World on clearance for $18. It was the only one left and it isn't listed on the website as being on clearance. I don't particularly like the feel of the handle, I don't like the safety, and I don't like serations.

Here's where I need your opinions and help.

If you now own or ever owned a Sog, did you ever feel like the pocket clip is too deep? Even though there are a few things that I don't like about this knife, I wanted to give it a fair shake. I've carried it in my front right pocket for 2 days. I have a habit of practicing drawing knives from my pockets and flicking them open. My hopes are that it will become instinctual (second nature) should the need arise.

Unfortunately, I am having lots of trouble with the Sog Trident. The pocket clip seems too deep
    It seems as though the material from my pants and cargo shorts is going up and over the top of the knife in the gap between the deep pocket clip. This is making it very hard to draw the Sog Trident from my pocket quickly. The second big problem is the safety. The safety seems to get pushed into the locked position while in my pocket which also dramatically slows down the opening.

If you've experienced this issue, how did you resolve it (please don't say by getting rid of the knife). I'm looking for real world solutions ie. new pocket clip, modify the clip, removed the safety, glued the safety.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tracker
    Thanks

I don't have one, so here are my generic methods for coping with your issues-

For a knife that carries low in the pocket, I put my thumb in my pocket and then use either my index or middle finger and hook it around the far end of the clip, then pinch with my thumb and extract the knife like that. If it carries slightly higher I still put my thumb in my pocket but grab the handle of the knife with my ring finger and pull it out like that, then when it is out of my pocket my ring finger is already on the handle so I just finish grabbing it with my index and middle finger. You can look on ebay and see if anyone is making an aftermarket clip for it as well.

Both of these methods allow your thumb to cover the stud to open it.

If the safety lock keeps engaging, I'd use hot glue on it. Then it becomes a non issue but you can easily pick the hot glue out of there if you ever change your mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,654 Posts

The only SOG I've got is a counterfeit I bought on eBay. Turns out that there's never been an actual SOG model even close to this thing, but the logo is done really well. Yes, an "impulse buy" BEFORE checking here, youtube or the rest of the internet (that's the correct order) for reviews. But it was dirt cheap, so what the heck.

It also turns out to be a pretty good knife. I actually use it quite a bit. But it's big and clunky and way too much for a pocket. The big clip must be for belt-wear or molle. I keep it in my studio.

That's a lot of knives you go through. Sometimes it's really just not so much about the destination, as it is the journey.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsJack For This Useful Post:

Woodsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,485 Times in 678 Posts

I've never owned a Trident but I did some work reprofiling a co-worker's Trident before.

I did carry it for a day afterwards and I personally really liked the pocket clip. I like my knives to sit low in my pocket, no reason, just preference.

From what I've read, most SOG guys glue the safety in the OFF position. Since its assisted and not automatic, a safety isn't really needed.

Personally, I really liked the knife.

Things I would have changed,

1. Make the pocket clip a 4 position pocket clip for right/left hand carry and tip up/tip down carry.

2. Get rid of the serrations, I hate serrated blades. I guess you can buy a plain edge model online, but Walmart doesn't seem interested in carrying them.

It's a good knife, if you like it - BUY IT!
    Joshua 25:15 - But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
    BladeScrounger #1

Bushclass intermediate: outings 3/10, lessons 2/11, electives 1/7

Thanks
    Thanked 1,719 Times in 649 Posts

There seems to be a reason it was discounted at the store. Sure you can glue the safety. Life is too short to carry a knife that does not suit your needs.
    bushcraft is not a fashion show.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikewood For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk45hunter View Post

2. Get rid of the serrations, I hate serrated blades. I guess you can buy a plain edge model online, but Walmart doesn't seem interested in carrying them.

It's a good knife, if you like it - BUY IT!
    Ive noticed a trend in chain stores that sell knives that they try to push serrated blades, why is that? Not trying to hijack or derail the thread

Tracker
    Thanks

I appreciate all of your tips and pointers.

So far, I like the hot glue in the safety tip. I was thinking superglue but that would be almost permanent vs the hot glue being removable.

I'm not sure I would be comfortable trying to remove the serrations.

I'm working on using my index finger to lift the clip a bit as I'm pulling the knife from my pocket. It'll take some time to get used to the new motion.

I'll give the knife a few more days to see if it grows on me. If not, it's back to Wally World!

Tracker
    Thanks

My family and I went out to eat over the weekend. The restaurant gave the kids something called wikki stix or bendaroos to play with. They are basically different colored pieces of waxed yarn about 8 inches long. I decided to cut a small piece and put it in the space below the safety plunger on the SOG Trident to keep the safety plunger from falling down and locking the blade shut. The piece I cut was navy blue and absolutely blends in with the scales. I figured that would be easier than trying to put a drop of hot glue in that same spot. I can easily pluck the piece out if I so desire.

I'm going to give this knife until Saturday to make my decision if I keep it or it goes back to Wally World.

Thanks

I didn't own a Trident, but I did own a Flash II. For me, the pocket clip was the main draw. I work in offices, and sheeple managers (aka the people who can decide if I get fired or not) don't like seeing a knife. The clip let me wear the thing without anyone noticing it.

I ended up gluing the safety shut. The only time I want a safety on my knife is when it's assisted open and I can't use the pocket clip due to too much of the knife sticking out. In that case, I often take the clip off and carry it loose in my pocket, where I don't want it to accidentally open. With the Flash II's clip, I didn't need to worry about an accidental opening.

What made me get rid of it was actually the assisted open. I hate thumb studs, especially on assisted-open blades, because I can't seem to be able to use them to open the knife without having it snap open and have my thumb run against the side of it. I returned a serrated assisted-open, because I opened it and the thing snapped open so fast I couldn't move my thumb out of the way and the serration cut it. If a straight edge had a nick in it, it would cut my thumb too. I moved on to assisted-open flippers, but few of them have safeties or Sog's deep pocket clip, so those got sold pretty quick. I've ended up just sticking with a Case knife.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy23 View Post
    ... I decided to cut a small piece and put it in the space below the safety plunger on the SOG Trident to keep the safety plunger from falling down and locking the blade shut....
    Again, my SOG is a fake. But I do like the Safety thing. Not for locking the blade shut, but locking it open. Works well and is a handy feature, my fingers tell me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast