Thread: Joonas Kallioniemi Sharpening

Thanks
    Thanked 9,374 Times in 1,949 Posts

Exclamation Joonas Kallioniemi Sharpening

I finally found a Joonas Kallioniemi and am getting ready to put a new edge on it. It looks to be a very slight hollow grind. What is the sharpening angle on theses knives. Can they just be sharpened like an ordinary Scandi, I would guess not? If there is a micro bevel it is extremely small and I can not see it. Any help with this one would be appreciated.
    Joonas Kallioniemi Puuko
    Turley Knives
    Axe Mob

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knifecraft For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,429 Times in 848 Posts

Most of his knives are slightly hollow, though I know that occasionally he does flat and slightly convex too.

To sharpen the hollow grind I just lay it flat on the bevel like a regular scandi. It will sharpen much faster than a regular flat scandi, and it will leave a little untouched hollow in the middle of the bevel, but man will it be sharp.

I love my Kallioniemi puukkos and I'm glad you got your hands on one brother, they are really something. It blew my mind when I got mine.
    The chief enemy of creativity is good sense. - Pablo Picasso

~~Axe Mob~~

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sequoia Kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,296 Times in 458 Posts

Normally this knife only needs a good stropping with a loaded leather strop, if the edge is damaged i would take some slight passes on the ceramic side of a DC4 stone, indeed the grind is slightly hollow with a tiny micro bevel so i advice not to give it a total regrind, besides, it's easy to keep them sharp easily, this steel is very simple with a low carbide content which makes the HT even better actually, and Joonas knows what he's doing worth HT, never had mine chipped or damaged and only gave it a decent stropping as i mentioned, enjoy this knife brother, it belongs to the best knives available !!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lucky67 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lucky67 View Post
    Normally this knife only needs a good stropping with a loaded leather strop, if the edge is damaged i would take some slight passes on the ceramic side of a DC4 stone, indeed the grind is slightly hollow with a tiny micro bevel so i advice not to give it a total regrind, besides, it's easy to keep them sharp easily, this steel is very simple with a low carbide content which makes the HT even better actually, and Joonas knows what he's doing worth HT, never had mine chipped or damaged and only gave it a decent stropping as i mentioned, enjoy this knife brother, it belongs to the best knives available !!

I'm definitely not trying to re-profile the edge. Just wanted to do a light touch-up. The edge looks so very acute I do not want to change the profile.
    Joonas Kallioniemi Puuko
    Turley Knives
    Axe Mob

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knifecraft For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,477 Times in 8,826 Posts

When I used Sunny's pair, I did not want to change the edge or mar the blades, so after use I just stropped on leather a bit. and they were quickly back to the hair popping sharp state. I would try that before using a stone.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I agree with you two. Try a strop first, that'll probably do everything you need.

I hit a rock that had grown into a piece of wood I was carving and had to take mine to the stones, but other than that a strop has been all I've needed.

~~Axe Mob~~

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sequoia Kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well,

I touched it up on a (fine) India stone the a hard Arkansas at about 17* then hit the strop. She's a light saber now. I tried the strop first, but it just would not bring the edge back. It will likely never need to see a stone again. Thanks all!
    Joonas Kallioniemi Puuko
    Turley Knives
    Axe Mob

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Knifecraft For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Knifecraft View Post
    Well,

I touched it up on a (fine) India stone the a hard Arkansas at about 17* then hit the strop. She's a light saber now. I tried the strop first, but it just would not bring the edge back. It will likely never need to see a stone again. Thanks all!
    Picture?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knifecraft View Post
    Well,

Right on, with the hollow grind you really don't have to take too much off to get it singing, but sometimes the strop is not quite enough. Glad you got it all sorted and can now enjoy the full effect of the amazing work Joonas does. It's fun to experience these knives.

~~Axe Mob~~

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sequoia Kid For This Useful Post: