Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victorinox questions.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 961 Posts

Default Victorinox questions.

I recently picked up a used SAK Fieldmaster and was happy as a clam that the guy knocked off $8 because it was missing the tweezers and toothpick (also had a broken scissor spring). I still figured that the parts shouldn't cost that much. My questions are is where is the cheapest place to get these parts from. Victorinox prices were ok, but they wanted more in shipping than the parts cost. My main two questions are am I correct that I could put a pen in place of the tooth pick and is the pen any good? I know it won't work as well as a regular pen, but I don't see getting much use out of the toothpick.
    Auto correct hates me and I don't proofread. So whatever sounds good is what I actually meant.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Usingmyrights For This Useful Post:

Scout Supporter
    Thanks

I've picked up SAK toothpicks an tweezers on ebay. Buy in bulk (5 or 10 each) to save per piece and have a few spares in case one gets lost.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,714 Times in 958 Posts

I have found mailorder of parts to be quite expensive.

Some mall shops...cutlery somethingorother stores in malls sometimes have the whole box of repair items...springs, toothpicks, tweezers etc.

Sometimes they do not charge an arm and leg for the bits.

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,019 Times in 1,009 Posts

Shipping costs for these things can get out of hand. You could stick a half-dozen of each in an envelope (costing maybe $0.50 and mail with a single $0.49 stamp. eBay has a bunch of sellers for this type of thing and many stores that sell the SAK have them, too.

Cookpot Hoarder Supporter Spork's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 999 Posts

If you have an REI near you...they used to stock spare parts. The pen will not fit the toothpick slot...it requires a special scale.
    Dave

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spork For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 961 Posts

Best deal I've found so far was $6, which isn't terrible. Better than the $6 just for shipping. One place did say to mail in a check with a SASE and it'd just be whatever the parts cost. I know overall its not a lot, I just can't see spending the $12+ so places want for $3 worth of parts. I'll try the knife shop at the fleamarket. I didn't think to when I was there last.
    Last edited by Usingmyrights; 07-21-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    Auto correct hates me and I don't proofread. So whatever sounds good is what I actually meant.

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Tried, but no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Usingmyrights View Post
    I recently picked up a used SAK Fieldmaster and was happy as a clam that the guy knocked off $8 because it was missing the tweezers and toothpick (also had a broken scissor spring). I still figured that the parts shouldn't cost that much. My questions are is where is the cheapest place to get these parts from. Victorinox prices were ok, but they wanted more in shipping than the parts cost. My main two questions are am I correct that I could put a pen in place of the tooth pick and is the pen any good? I know it won't work as well as a regular pen, but I don't see getting much use out of the toothpick.
    I tried replacing my toothpick with the ballpoint pen with no luck.. maybe they sent me the wrong one, but the pen was just a bit too long -really wanted this to work though. On a side note, sometimes you can send the entire knife back and they will fizx it for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 266 Posts

Mine went missing too on the job. I wonder how hard it would be to break off a piece of plastic off an old toy or cheap tool case and file it down to fit?

One thing I found to avoid with a SAK. I put it in my pocket with a little bottle of bug repellant (containing Deet). The bug bottle leaked and it melted the plastic scales on my SAK. I caught it in time and washed it off, after a couple days of drying the plastic hardened again but it still carries the scars.
    Last edited by SwissArmyKnife; 07-21-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Scout
    Thanks

T obtain the Tiny Screwdriver for my Victorinox Spartan, I first contacted the US official repair center (in Connecticut, I believe) with little success. I finally wrote directly to the factory in Switzerland and got a courteous response with a free part shipped to me. Victorinox service is great.

)

)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Faiaoga For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There's a gun shop near me that has all the little stuff for SAKs. If you don't have any luck finding what you need PM me and I'll run past there for you.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schapm For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast