Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leuku and Puukko set

Thanks
    Thanked 26,983 Times in 8,095 Posts

Default Leuku and Puukko set

I had received a Jarvenpaa Leuku last year before deer season, and used it for my hunting knife. I was really pleased with the performance, and decided to get a similar Puuko. Ragweed Forge had some in stock recently, by Jarvenpaa, in the same style, so I ordered one. I guess at this point I ought to look for a sheath to carry them both.

This is a very well balanced set, a Scandi bush knife and a slightly larger camp knife / chopper.

The Leuku is a Model 5339b, 7 inch carbon steel blade.
    The Puukko is a 5336b, 3 and 7/8ths inch blade.
    (Puukko is about 5 ounces weight, the Leuku probably twice that.)

Comparison of Puukko and a Mora 311.

The Puuko in hand.

Ragweed Forge is selling the Puukko for $49.00, the Leuku for $83.00, and a combo set for $129.00.

I can highly recommend either knife, or the combo set for anyone looking for a plain, utilitarian set of working knives.
    Nemo me impune lacessit !

Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    New Turley Knife Club Member #59

Super Moderator Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,889 Times in 4,036 Posts

Nice set, how does the Leuku sheath hold up?
    Nights camped in 2014---19, so far.

"Money spent living passionately is better than any gear you can buy"

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL------->http://www.youtube.com/user/josephallen19

Dr. Fishguts Bush Class Basic Certified kgd's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,228 Times in 444 Posts

Very nice set up and great shots! I've been eying that set for awhile. I never know how to decide between the combo carry sheath package or as individual sheath. Your individual sheath route is more flexible I think.

Guide
    Thanks

They look great! Now maybe we should start calling you Gray Onenin. Gotta love those Puukkos.

PC
    Last edited by PeterCartwright; 04-02-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks

Those are nice man! Ragnar used to carry that set together holstered in the same sheath. Wanted one forever and when i finally had the scrap they were no longer. Congrats and thanks for the pix!

Also, did you stain the leather? Because i thought his were more natural in color? Looks good, i like darker leather over the natural stuff.

Thanks

Great looking set for sure, one could do anything and everything he needs to with that pair. That puukko looks about perfect for small game

Thanks

Ragnar has the double sheath set right now:
    Click here for larger image.
    Puukko and Leuku Combination

A combination of the 3 7/8" puukko and the 7" leuku in a double sheath.
    Current stock comes with a dark brown sheath
    #5629-b; in carbon steel (shown) with the sides of the blade left black, $129.
    #5629-o; in stainless steel, $149.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Leuku sheath had been hot waxed before I got it. That darkened it considerably. I like that treatment, and will do it to the
    Puukko when I get time. The Puukko sheath was listed as dark leather, which I was glad to get.
    Here is a link to Ragweed Forge Finnish knives: <http://www.ragweedforge.com/FinnishKnifeCatalog.html >

The sheath has served well on the Leuku, and I think the two separate sheaths is indeed a more flexible option. I would not mind having a double sheath for the set as an extra, it would be more compact when you know you will carry and use both blades.

These have the unpolished carbon steel blades, and they are excellent steel- hold an edge well. He also has and sells the stainless and the polished carbon blades, though not all options are always in stock.

Ragweed Forge, like Ben's Backwoods, is a very good place to do business- he knows his merchandise and takes care of his customers. I have been buying from him for several years, and have had nothing but good experiences.

Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solphilos View Post
    Great looking set for sure, one could do anything and everything he needs to with that pair. That puukko looks about perfect for small game
    It is. I have been using the Mora 311 a lot for my small all around belt knife, and it is a very nice tool. The Puukko is almost exactly the same size and weight, slightly different handle feel and blade geometry, but still very similar in use.
    I like both.

Guide
    Thanks

super nice setup

Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,120 Posts

I got the double set in a trade with Whitejaw a little while ago, they live in my pack now, love em to bits as you have probbaly noticed they get used a helluva lot as they appear in most of my recent woods trip videos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast