Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double barrel shotguns? Savage, stevens, fox?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,325 Times in 875 Posts

Default Double barrel shotguns? Savage, stevens, fox?

What are some good double barrel shotguns to look at if i wanted one for upland/ small game hunting. I have heard the stevens, savage and fox, but there are so many different ones. Are their ones to stay away from? What are some good ones/ models to look at. I prefer older american made, and not interested in the stoeger, cz ones i haven't read very good things about their doubles.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slips73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 518 Posts

First shotgun I ever had was a 12-gauge double, barrel length of 28" chokes fixed at modified and full. Charles Daly manufacturer, 1962 model used beaver tail, field grade. Wonderful using lead shot. But since I shoot waterfowl I needed one to shoot steel/non-toxic shot. So after not being able to get another double side-by-side at the time (Browning had quit making theirs) I settled on a Remington 11-87. Then won a Mossburg Legacy over-under 12-gauge at a NWTF banquet. Both those shoot well. If you want to stay in the league with your Winchester Model 70 you might consider getting a Fox, Parker, or Charles Daly (Purdy?). All good...but I'd do more research if you are planning to shoot steel.

Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Slips73 View Post
    What are some good double barrel shotguns to look at if i wanted one for upland/ small game hunting. I have heard the stevens, savage and fox, but there are so many different ones. Are their ones to stay away from? What are some good ones/ models to look at. I prefer older american made, and not interested in the stoeger, cz ones i haven't read very good things about their doubles.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,325 Times in 875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    First shotgun I ever had was a 12-gauge double, barrel length of 28" chokes fixed at modified and full. Charles Daly manufacturer, 1962 model used beaver tail, field grade. Wonderful using lead shot. But since I shoot waterfowl I needed one to shoot steel/non-toxic shot. So after not being able to get another double side-by-side at the time (Browning had quit making theirs) I settled on a Remington 11-87. Then won a Mossburg Legacy over-under 12-gauge at a NWTF banquet. Both those shoot well. If you want to stay in the league with your Winchester Model 70 you might consider getting a Fox, Parker, or Charles Daly (Purdy?). All good...but I'd do more research if you are planning to shoot steel.

Stone
    yah i know about the steel deal, i mainly shoot small game, and upland, which is fine with lead for now in kali, and in the future when im in arizona.

but i do reload so bismuth is a possibility if im ever in a place where there is enough water for waterfowl.

Thanks

LC Smith is a nice gun. I have a Remington and an Ithica.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sundquist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 Times in 629 Posts

My uncle uses an ancient Stevens 311 12ga sxs for much of his small game gathering. Its a rabbit killing machine. I'm a fan of the Baikal sxs, they're built like a tank & inexpensive.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tree-ratsniper For This Useful Post:

Blissful simpleton Supporter brionic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,634 Posts

It's hard to make a suggestion without knowing your budget. But since you're going off to school soon, I'll take that as a cue.

I'll let someone else speak to older shotguns.

I'll bet nobody mentions the Ruger Red Label. I don't know why they aren't better appreciated. They are solid, well made field guns. Ruger stands behind their products, and I've always been pleased by their service.

Other than American, take a look at the various Miroku doubles - marketed for Browning, Charles Daly, and under their own name. Very dependable, high value guns. Some verge on fancy, which is always nice.

Axe mob oaf

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brionic For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I love old doubles for birds (lots of grouse and woodcock around here). I have a 2 old Stevens 311s, an old Fox, a Riverside and an old Parker. The Parker is kind of the star of the group but the prices on them usually match their appeal. That being said the one that points and shoots the best is the Riverside. If you are seriously looking for an old double don't overlook some of the old off brand and hardware store guns. As long as they lock up tight and the solder joints are good they can be great guns.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itegorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I know you said no go on the Steoger Shotguns. But I have to tell you I really love mine. I have a SxS 12ga Steoger Upland Supreme Coach Gun with screw in chokes. It's dead accurate and I have a backup shot if I miss with the first load. When I hunt pheasant I run a modified choke for the primary barrel and a full choke for the back up just in case the bird dodges the shot. Plus compared to the prices some of the shops are asking for the vintage guns forces me to get a new gun for the same price.

BTW just in case your wondering. I run a 12ga coach gun for birds because a full size double gets really heavy after 3 or 4 hours of hauling that peice around.

Best of luck with your quest.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slamboy3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Itegorm View Post
    I love old doubles for birds (lots of grouse and woodcock around here). I have a 2 old Stevens 311s, an old Fox, a Riverside and an old Parker. The Parker is kind of the star of the group but the prices on them usually match their appeal. That being said the one that points and shoots the best is the Riverside. If you are seriously looking for an old double don't overlook some of the old off brand and hardware store guns. As long as they lock up tight and the solder joints are good they can be great guns.
    I have an old Riverside Arms SxS in 16ga. It's probably my favorite grouse gun as well as going for the bunnies. It just points so naturaly. Sadly I had to do a full restore on the gun after I got it. The fella I got it from thought it would be a good idea to paint it in hi-gloss camo paint and cut the barrels shorter for hunting turkeys.
    After rebluing the barrels strpping and refinishing the stocks she was a keeper. I have to pry the darn thing from my father inlaws hands when ever I let him use it. Maybe I'll make it his fathers day gift this year. I'm sure he will love it.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slamboy3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You ruled out my favorite, steoger, I have two of them, 20 ga coach and a 12 ga uplander, I hunt with both. I LOVE both of mine

I really like the stevens 311 also

My coach gun is imp/mod choke and was perfect this past opening day for dove!

I've see some great deals on used SxS on some of the gun auction sites

There is a lot of discussion on what brand is best, but I think any of the major brands will be fine, mainly pay attention to what stock length fits you best

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixteenacrewood For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast