Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porcupine skinning cleaning?

Guide
    Thanks

Default Porcupine skinning cleaning?

There are a few porcupine dens where my dogs like to run. I have to get rid of them or my dogs will pay the price. I'd hate to just kill the pests and waste them. I have poor skinning skills as is, but I know the basics from skinning some rabbits. And I'm on a limited budget. Can yall offer some advice on how to skin and clean porcupine?

Scout
    Thanks

Hey man i have no idea on skinning. I would guess turn it over and work stomach to back. sorry i couldnt help more. If and When you do get them skinned you think you might want to trade some quills?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 252 Posts

i shot and ate one last winter they skin easy,like any other critter just be carefull of the quills.pick up all quills when done.they can get stuck in your dogs feet just from being steped on,and work there way in deep.it is edible,very oily.mine had a slight pine taste.save some quills someone on here may want some.
    here are a few pics of a skun one,not much info on the actual skining

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9031

mountain1

a friend of mine made porcupine jerky from one he shot. it was guite good. i have also read that if you parboil the critter for a while then roast or fry it up it's quite good. i've always wanted to roast one over the fire but haven't came across one.

Guide
    Thanks

well it looks as if porcupine is on the menu someday this week. I'm going to try and teach my dogs to avoid them at the same time.

After reading around about tanning I don't think it's worth it but yes I will save any quills. I was just going to wash them with warm water unless... Is there any specific technique to preserve them?

Guide
    Thanks

I wonder if wearing a pair of tight fitting leather gloves would help much.

Thanks

I've skinned a couple of them. Gloves really aren't necessary but do be carefull. Them porcupines got pointy things all over 'em. If you get them out of a pine tree you are better off just taking the quills because the meat will taste like a pine tree. YUCK!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 760 Posts

Skinning them isnt that hard to do, just open him up along the belly like anything else, and peel the hide back as you go. The quills are nice for decorating stuff. They were used before beads became common, and still some afterwards. A few do quill work today. You woun't need to do anything to the quills to preserve them, but if you want to save the whole skin for someone to use for quill work, you could just freeze it and mail it to them wrapped in something insulative(and a couple good plastic bags), and maybe a couple freeze packs. Should be good long enough to ship.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Thanks

OK here is a tip for anyone who wants to deal them critters quills burn them off in a good fire first then gut/skin out....

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcraft Bill View Post
    OK here is a tip for anyone who wants to deal them critters quills burn them off in a good fire first then gut/skin out....
    I've seen that somewhere, about burning them off 1st, I've seen hedgehogs cooked in clay, then you take the clay off and the spines come off with it. but you need a bloody lot of clay for one of them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast