Thread: Bank line jug fishing

Thanks

Default Bank line jug fishing

A guy at work was telling me today about jug fishing. He said he uses old water bottles and strings them together with bank line. Normal mono from the bottle down to a hook. Said he strings out 8-10 bottles walks along the water edge throwing the bottles in. Then goes back and has a few beers. When he comes back. He has anywhere from 3 to 5 catfish on the line. I asked about bate and bank line. He uses chicken guts from a butcher and his bank line is waxed twine. Said his grandfather makes the bank line.
    Sounds like a plan to me, but where am I going to get bank line like that.
    Anyway, I think I'm going to try that the next time I'm out fishing.

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified madmax's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,509 Times in 1,812 Posts

You don't need exactly that line. You could use heavy mono for example. Or surveyors'/masons' line. Waxed or tarred lines are just "old school" and were used to waterproof natural fiber cordage that would rot quickly being in and out of the water over and over. Jug fishin' is a time tested method of fishing. And we LOVE fried catfish!
    While you're riggin' up for juggin' fish, you might as well make a crawfish trap or two and set 'em out. ooooooooweeeeeee! Good eats!

Thanks
    Thanked 31,865 Times in 9,105 Posts

Or buy a 90 lb. or so braided line at the tackle shop.

Bait can be chicken guts, trimmings from other fish or animals, grasshoppers, etc. If you don't have a ready made bait, something can usually be found. Empty milk or water bottles are the old standby of this method, but 2 liter soda bottles work fine as well.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

Banned Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    You don't need exactly that line. You could use heavy mono for example. Or surveyors'/masons' line. Waxed or tarred lines are just "old school" and were used to waterproof natural fiber cordage that would rot quickly being in and out of the water over and over. Jug fishin' is a time tested method of fishing. And we LOVE fried catfish!
    While you're riggin' up for juggin' fish, you might as well make a crawfish trap or two and set 'em out. ooooooooweeeeeee! Good eats!
    I was thinking the same about the crawdads!! LOL

Guide
    Thanks

Go to WalMart. They have a catfish throw line for about $5. You can tie your jug on the far end and run a hook down off the nearest swivel. The other end you can tie off some place to keep it from floating out of reach from the bank. If you have a boat this is not an issue.

You can buy chicken hearts, livers and gizzards from most any grocer. Lay them out in the sun on a piece of plywood for about 3 days and they will be nice and ripe. I usually just fish them right out of the package though. Good old red wigglers (worms) work well too.

Watch in Oklahoma though. I think the law states you can have only 3 hooks out. Not sure if that's for rod and real or jug/trout lines. I would have to check the regs again to be sure.

Good luck!

Scout
    Thanks

Set, trot and jugs lines are a good way catch fish, esp for the woods goer. They are working while you are doing other things. They are not legal everywhere tho.
    Heres an article done by a friend of mine
    Set hooks and trotlines