Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pvc bows actually perform well, plus...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 322 Posts

Default pvc bows actually perform well, plus...

I have made several pvc bows recently, ranging from 20# to 50#. All are surprisingly good performers, but the real appeal is the speed and ease of construction.

My most recent bow is a 45# static recurve from 3/4" schedule 40 pipe. When I went to shoot it, none of my arrows worked well. I had shaped the handle to be almost center-shot, so all I had to do to tune it to my arrows (which proved to be too flexible) was heat the handle section again and tweak it so the arrow was less centered. It took minutes.

I know that pvc lacks the beauty of wood or laminate bows, but the freedom to shape and reshape it makes up for that. And these bows can hunt!

If you want an easy, satisfying project that will produce a bow with decent performance, try it. Check out Nick Tomihama's channel on youtube (backyardbowyer) and get started. All you need are some basic tools that you probably have anyway, a heat source, a 2x4 and some pvc. Arm the neighborhood in an afternoon!

usual suspect ♌ Supporter Keyser Söze's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,000 Times in 3,996 Posts

I made one for a 5yold kid, is cool because he can pull on it just a litle and it shots with enough power to stick the arrow..carbon arrows with Lumenoks in the evening are a big hit
    "Can I get some coffee?" ~Verbal

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keyser Söze For This Useful Post:

Scout Supporter
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

Ive been wanting to do this for a long time. I have looked at many a you tube vid and threads .I have seen some take down pvc bows that look pretty sweet as well. Post some pics if you can. would love to see your work .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to venmm73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

all but the latest one are pictured in this thread:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...7-pvc-kids-bow

I have been working up force-draw data on each of them, and saving for a chronograph to measure speed. Yesterday I consulted with a nine-year-old friend who's pretty talented at doing stop-animation video- he assures me that he can help me measure the speed of my arrows using his video gear. I am hoping to generate some data to prove that pvc is a fine bow material, and also to improve my designs.

The latest bow is not yet painted, and I think I might make it into a 3 piece takedown before I paint it. When it's done I'll post a few pics here.

Another avenue I want to explore is using wood to make siyahs, since it's lighter than pvc. I think a short pvc bow with wood siyahs would rival wood for speed.

Another project I will be doing soon is to make a simple straight-stave pvc bow, testing all aspects of performance, then recurving it, re-test, then further modifying and retesting, just to get an idea of how performance is affected by profile. In essence, I'll be changing the shape without adding or subtracting any material. This is something you really can't do with wood, but it's easy as pie with pvc. Then I'll take what I learn and try to make a nice wood bow.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to churro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    Another avenue I want to explore is using wood to make siyahs, since it's lighter than pvc. I think a short pvc bow with wood siyahs would rival wood for speed.
    Have heard good things about this approach, and with all woods bows for sure thinner/lighter tips with less overall tip mass are the ticket too speed increases. I need to thin the tips on my latest bow a lot, might try doing that soon.

Another project I will be doing soon is to make a simple straight-stave pvc bow, testing all aspects of performance, then recurving it, re-test, then further modifying and retesting, just to get an idea of how performance is affected by profile. In essence, I'll be changing the shape without adding or subtracting any material. This is something you really can't do with wood, but it's easy as pie with pvc. Then I'll take what I learn and try to make a nice wood bow.
    Make sure you post all that here on the forum, as I would be interested in seeing that.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidmand For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's a great idea making PVC bows! After I'm finished playing with this PVC Atlal, that will be a nice project.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usti waya 43 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I made another one last night, but my brand new heat gun crapped out just before I finished it. I ended up using a can of sterno to tiller it, straighten out some errors, etc. The sterno works really well, but would be hard to work with for the initial flattening/tapering, so I guess I have to make the hour-long trip to town to see if I can exchange or return the heat gun.

This bow is made from 3/4" scedule 40 conduit (grey pvc). I started with 52" of pipe, made the siyahs 7" and the handle 6". I tapered the siyahs more than the last one (built to the same dimensions, but from white pipe). The white pipe bow developed several alarming cracks and had to be retired, but was a real performer at 35#. This one pulls about the same weight, but much smoother, and shoots a little more slowly at my draw length. I tried drawing longer and wow!- much better. I guess I'll give this one to a tall friend (who draws 32").

The insight I gained this time is this: white pipe performs better, but seems less durable. The grey pipe shoots a little more slowly, but is sweet to draw, takes less set and has less hand-shock. All in all, I prefer the grey pipe (I think)but need to adjust the design to get better arrow speed.

I'll post pics when I have time, and I will try to figure out how to post some excel force-draw data I worked up on all of the pvc bows I have made.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to churro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

some quick pics of the latest bow.
    IMG_4603.JPGIMG_4605.JPGIMG_4600.JPG

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to churro For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

some quick pics of the latest bow.
    IMG_4603.JPGIMG_4605.JPGIMG_4600.JPG
    wow that is not what I expected when I thought of a PVC bow. I must say that does not look bad at all. did you find directions for this on line, or just start doing and that's how it turned out ??

Charlie

Scout Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 332 Posts

Churro you're doing some awesome work on these PVC bows! I've made a few myself, and now I'm getting the itch to get out and make some more again. Keep up the good work! I'm also interested in some of that technical data as well when you get it posted.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyranta For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast