Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you make your own bows/arrows?

Thanks

Default Do you make your own bows/arrows?

Anyone on here besides myself and churro dabble in the bowyering and arrow making hobbies? If so, what do you make, and how often, and how successful are you?

I have made 8 bows total, 5 of them being wood, with 3 of the wooden bows surviving today. First bow I tried to make was a red oak mollegabet board bow, broke on me after shooting it for a bit. Was quite sad really. Second bow was a white oak board bow, it broke during tillering. Both of those bows taught me a ton about tillering. 3rd bow was a red oak pyramid style bow, 65" nock to nock, about 30# draw, that my daughter shoots now. She helped me make it and seems to really like it. I made 3 PVC bows for my other kids, then my middle daughter bought a small hickory bow at a local event that I refinished, heat treated to get some of the set out of it, and backed with rawhide. I had an Osage board that had a bad wormhole in it that I could not use for a full size bow, but I made another kids bow out of it that my son shoots and really likes. Finally, I recently finished up a hickory backed Osage bow that I intend to hunt with some this year. I have a couple more bows that I want to do as well, just got to get the materials and the time. I REALLY want to tackle a full on Osage stave for a self bow, and then I want to try some eastern red cedar for a sinew backed ERC bow. Got to get the wood and sinew for that though.

I have gathered and straitened about 2 dozen river cane arrow shafts, but I'm still gathering materials to fletch them and I intend to make some metal trade points and/or some stone points for them.

I make my own strings, mostly out of B55 or B500 dacron, but when I get my hands on some D97 or other fastflight stuff I will start making them from it.
    Last edited by sidmand; 07-09-2014 at 08:30 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sidmand For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yep.

This is a little short-draw recurve I made. Drawing 46#@23"

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to robtattoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A 66", 60#@30" Bamboo backed Ipe, reflex/deflex longbow

And proof that it works

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to robtattoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And I just finished a 73" 60#@30" rawhide backed, Osage selfbow for a bear hunt I took this spring.

Along with some suitably primitive arrows.

Philomath and Tinker Supporter SavageJak's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow you guys are all making some top notch stuff! I would love to make my own bow...but I already have to many projects I'm working on. Maybe someday I will get around to it! I have made arrows before. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageJak For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Me and my pops started messing around with bow building this past winter. We have five bows under us (all good shooters), just helped a buddy build his first, and will be getting going on another in about a week or two. It's become a pretty addictive hobby for us (we also build our own arrows and quivers).

We're still novices, but every bow comes out a little bit better than the last one.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to colav For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't make my bows cause I just don't have the talent. I give you bowyers a ton of credit. The bows I see are not only functional tools but also works of art.

I do make my arrows and strings. My arrows can be tapered Fir with three or four 4" feathers, 125-145 gr up front depending on if it's a field point or a BH. They get stained and a nice satin finish applied.. Sometimes I'll try my hand at cresting freehand.

I also make aluminum arrows using either 1916 or 2016. These get 4 5" feathers with 125 gr leading the way.

DSCF1360.jpg

DSCF2506.jpg

(Can't find any photos of the fir arrows but these are some Cedars I made several years ago)
    DSCF2522.jpg

My Flemish twist strings are B50 right now but I'm about to order some D97.
    "In Wilderness is the preservation of the world."
    Henry David Thoreau

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bumma For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

robtattoo....you and i have met..at the classic and on PA!! good lookin bows brother!

Scout
    Thanks

I have made 4 self bows. 2 osage, one iron wood (hop hornbeam) and one ash. One of the osage bows turned into a bow with a lot of cracks.

I also make my own arrow shafts using a verita dowel maker. I have made them out of cherry, pine, maple, laminated wood and butternut.

I took up flint knapping a few years ago and killed one deer with one of my stone heads. My goal this year to hunt primitive with the stuff I make.

I also have had the good fortune to meet Rob tattoo at Comptons a few years ago.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JEB For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I make my own arrows from store bought Surewood shafts. I use real turkey feathers. Nothing fancy but they shoot good.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hillbow For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast