Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional archery questions- longbows and recurves

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 337 Posts

Default Traditional archery questions- longbows and recurves

Hi guys.

I'm quite impressed with the amount of traditional archery knowledge here. Can I ask a few questions?

I've been shotgun deer hunting for over a decade as my wife cannot eat any other red meat. In a typical year, I harvest and process 2-4 deer. I have what I think is a 1970s model compound bow. I've had it for years. But, even though I practice, I've never so spidered myself comfortable with it. The peep sight, the different pins, release, all of it just seems complicated.

Recently, I've really thought about making the switch to more traditional archery. But what's the advantages/disadvantages over a longbow and recurve? Previously I had assumed that a longbow was simply larger and a recurve more compact. But after seeing many longbows and self bows in the 58" range, I'm confused since I often see recurves 62".

I saw in this forum, KP Archery suggested on the bay as their longbows are very reasonable. Im thinking if picking up either on of those or a used recurve. I should mention that I've never shot any other bow other than my old compound.

Thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Schmittie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 601 Posts

The longbows have come a long way with the reflex deflex design. Smoother and more power. A lot of traditional bow hunters prefer the long bow design as it is more traditional to North American bowery.
    Last edited by Ironwood; 10-05-2014 at 09:41 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironwood For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

I have hunted traditional my whole life. Taken many deer. I have shot both but perfer a recurve. I think its more practical and compact. I am planning on my next bow being a traditional english longbow in a traditional poundage. Never shot one but Im a pretty strong guy so I am really curious on how they perform and how difficult they are to shoot.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vintagebushcraft For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,759 Times in 732 Posts

I have both longbow and recurve. I prefer the longbow. The recurve has faster arrow speed. The longbow is more forgiving of a bad release. I have taken many deer with both. To get started checkout 3 rivers website.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/?gclid...FSVgMgod-2UAXQ

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sides For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 910 Posts

I've found longbows to be more accurate (tighter groups) but if you hunt tree stands or ground blinds nothing beats a short amo recurve! Practice is something you will have to do allot to keep your shooting form! I ventured to trad bows 5 years ago and shoot deer every year with them! I also shoot at least 20 arrows a day and now have a 6 arrow group at 20yards the size of a baseball. Are you going to shoot wood aluminum or carbon make sure you get correct spined arrows!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bone collector 85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think you will find its mostly a personal preference thing these days. In my experience, longbows (at least flatbows or strait limb bows) shoot a little slower than recurves but are a bit more forgiving on release and bad form like Sides said above. The reflex/deflex longbows seem to bridge the gap between the two nicely. I like my longbows more than my recurve, but mostly because I made most of my longbows, I don't have the tools or skillset to make a true recurve. However, I feel confident I could take deer with either design, so it's all just personal preference.

If you can go to a shop and shoot both, that would give you a better feel. You can get a real good shooter for 300 or less, Samick makes a great shooter and even those Martin Jaguars will take deer. Biggest thing is arrows tuned to the bow and your abilities, and then practice until you are confident in your abilities. And, above all, have fun!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidmand For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

I'm not a hard core archer...yet, but once was very into it. I started with a compound, pin sights. I started to get more into it and spent the money on a better bow, better sights etc..."better" means more expensive in reality, and not any better results wise, and I then "woke up". I started to un-build my bows so to speak. Removed pins, until I was shooting instinctive, and I became much better than when I used sights.

These days I don't even like the look of compound bows (although I'm not against them 100%) I have tried a few times to make a board bow, and will try again. I do feel that a traditional bow is better all around, and I have a lot more respect for a bow hunter who hunts w/trad gear.

But I just wanted to say that maybe tossing the release, removing your pins and peep sight and starting there may give you what you need to begin hunting, without the cost of a totally new bow. Just a thought. It was my starting point.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RDog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There are many differences between longbows and recurves. Differences in performance, but most important, differences in how they are shot. There are different styles of longbows. Too numerous to cite here, but simply put the differences are in grip style, and limb set, (or style).
    My recommendation is to go to a reputable dealer of used bows and pick up a vintage recurve from the 60's or 70's. Raptor Archery in Washington has prime vintage,stuff. I would think a recurve should be the first choice when going from a compound.
    Once you become bored with the recurve, as you have become bored with the compound, investigate a longbow.
    A longbow, because it is so simple, will give a lot of "feedback" with each shot. Those who for whatever reason, do not properly shoot a longbow, (and this has to do with mostly the hand position on the grip), will experience what is known as "hand shock".
    Hand shock does not exist if the longbow is properly shot.
    (Ok, if the bow is badly made, i.e.. the limbs are not balanced, (tillered), then the bow itself will not be smooth.)

This is only my recommendation. You need to find what makes sense to you.
    Someone should write a book .... "Shoot better YOUR way" !

Good luck!
    Ralph

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ralphie For This Useful Post:

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified madmax's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,401 Times in 1,777 Posts

Recurve here. I shoot better with one. Love the longbow, but I just do better with the recurve,

18. The Following User Says Thank You to madmax For This Useful Post:

usual suspect ♌ Supporter Keyser Söze's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,274 Times in 4,409 Posts

Cool

recurves are for younger and fit people....longbows are for older people that still want to shoot a powerful enough trad bow for hunting with less effort couse they easier to pull back
    "Can I get some coffee?" ~Verbal
    . Forum Rule nr 7
    in the wise words of Jabba the Hut : "Ya koon tacha poonoo nee sah, gee.! which means: " Your lawyer talk don't work on me, boy ! "

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keyser Söze For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast