Thread: Gifted a Bow

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Gifted a Bow

The last time I visited my brother, we got to talking and somehow it ended up with this little thing at my doorstep a few days later via USPS.

IMAG0433.jpg

IMAG0434.jpg

IMAG0435.jpg

String, glove, wrist guard, a quiver of arrows and a this rope thingy that bends the bow so you can slip on the bowstring also came with it. I know very little about archery other than how to send the arrow flying in the general direction I'm aiming. The 60# draw is pretty heavy. I'm not a small guy but it does take some effort to pull back and hold briefly. I've learned a little bit about this via Google but would love to hear more input about the quality of this bow from more experienced users.

The main objective is that I'd like to gift him something in return and was thinking about one of my 3V Bark River Fox Rivers as he is an avid hunter. Thanks in advance for the input.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vulocity For This Useful Post:

Ridiculously Good Looking Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,269 Times in 2,143 Posts

That's a martin archery mamba? Very nice bow, I'm actually planning on one of those as my next purchase. Wanna get in on the traditional side of archery.

Lucky guy.

ETA: You've got an awesome bro.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Machine27 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

wow I am not a traditional archer, but the mambas are really nice, and yes at least for me a little on the expensive side. Last I looked they were north of $ 500

very nice brother indeed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cstrickland For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Default hevy

yes 60 is no joke takes a bit too get used too it aim as you pull try not too pull hold and aim once you get the rhythm down it aint so hard too do..............

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rmorgan736 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default 60 @28

The longer you hold 60 lbs the more acuracy is going to drop off. Once you establish your anchor point do it the same way every time! I draw till the tip of my middle finger is touching the corner of my mouth. As soon as it touches I let it fly. Some folks call it "snap shooting". Whatever you call it you cant hold at full draw with any bow heavy enough for serious hunting. It's sort of Zen, or maybe a little like throwing a baseball. You just have to "know" where the arrow is going before you even start your draw. One word says it all for anyone starting out with primitive or traditional archery- Practice! Before you know it you'll be putting arrows in the ten-ring without really being able to explain how you're "aiming". Happy shooting and btw, that is a sweet little bow!
    Your brother will likely enjoy a Bark River knife. Not sure if you're trying to match the price range but the Martin bow has a pretty hefty price tag. The bark river knife would make my day and I'm sure he'll be excited by it.
    Last edited by TCF Ms; 08-18-2014 at 03:06 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TCF Ms For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 516 Posts

Martin makes a nice bow, I shot a Martin Hunter for over 10years, the Mamba should be a good shooter, 60# while only 5lbs above what I regularly shoot is too much for me.....some folks with long draw lengths 30 plus might have some finger pinch, your mileage may very,,,,,the string thingy is a bow stringer, usually has a nylon cup of some kind that goes over limb tip on bottom limb, has some kind of pressure piece on other end of string goes on top limb...HIGHLY RECOMEND you watch a video or see some photos on how to use before you string the bow, don't want to twist a limb, injure yourself or damage the bow....I pretty much always use a bow stringer!

Your brother treated you well, well the weight is a little high for beginners in my opinion, BUT a quality knife sent his way is sure to be gratefully accepted!

I doubt your too worried about a monetary accounting but it wouldn't be too hard to find the cost of all the stuff he sent you on a website like 3rivers archery.....you could then know if you have responded in kind....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjh For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks all. I haven't taken it to the range yet but have found a local shooting club that practices not too far away so I'll get out there and try to get some pointers from more experienced shooters.

I assumed it was a pricer bow. The knife obviously isn't of the same monetary value but we don't have that dollar-for-dollar type of relationship so that should be fine. I wanted to give him something of the same quality that he'd be able to use frequently so the knife should work. Maybe I'll throw a strop and some compound in to make it a complete package.

Thanks

That's very cool I was about to suggest maybe you could throw in some sharpening stuff to make him a complete outfit like he did for you!

Good to see family love!!
    Yesterday is Wood
    Tomorrow is Ashes
    Only Today Does the
    Fire Burn Brightly

Tracker
    Thanks

Default nice

yes that is a nice bow you would not shoot it if you knew what it is worth i got a martin heritage take down in 60 pounds 20 some odd years ago as a fathers day gift it came with a case and some nice silicone storage sox i thought it was crazy at 300 dollars back then i get offers upwards of 600 dollars when i take it out too the range but it has much more sentimental value too me.........................