Thread: Opinions on Bow from the Experts. Ben Pearson Cougar 7050

Thanks

Default Opinions on Bow from the Experts. Ben Pearson Cougar 7050

Hey guys!

I know absolutely nothing about archery other than 4-h camp and a few shots from friends bows over the years. I have a chance at a Ben Pearson Cougar 7050 62" 45lb recurve that includes 7 decent practivce arrows, a quiver, and arm guard for $100. Does this sound like a decent price for this setup? Im really just looking for somthing inexpensive to get me started. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Thanks

Check closely for condition. Any warping on the limbs, any delamination or hairline cracks. Have the owner string it in front of you and bring it to full draw. I'm not familiar with that bow but $100 is a great price to get started in a great hobby.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peregrine2000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 722 Posts

Yes, check for damage. If it checks out ok, the bow is well worth it. Full catalog price for the Ben Pearson Colt I bought in 1966 or so was $60. I'm not sure what they were originally asking for your model. But inflation adjustment alone should give you an idea on the basic worth. Plus when you throw in the rest you are doing good--especially if the arrows aren't warped and the other stuff is leather.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 630 Posts

Price sounds good. As said look for twisted limbs, delamination, condition issues. While the bow is strung. Hold one tip in your hand. Place the other tip on the ground, floor, carpet. With the string up and the bow facing down, rock the bow back and forth on the tip while you hold the other tip. Warpage with be evident if the string is out of the string groves at the back of the tips, you'll also notice the bow will not rock syemetrictly from side to side when looking down on top of the string and the bow, you might be able to see a warped limb. Check edges for damage to the finish. Some touch up with nail polish or other material may be normal but a totally beat up limb edge may indicate more problems. I've had a couple of old Ben Person bows and they have been good shooters.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mjh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

are you getting if from auction or can you get the seller to string it and draw it for you? You need to see pics to verify what the other folks have mentioned above, thats a good price but not so much if the limbs are twisted or delaminating.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidmand For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks guys. I am picking up the bow from the seller tomorrow at his house. Pictures look good and he seems to know a lot about bows and seems to be a stand-up guy. I was just wanting to make sure the price wasnt high.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gunner65 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Default depends

If you are into older bows and all is well with it it is a good price i would just like too throw it out there that you can get a brand new pse kingfisher take down in 45 or 50 pound draw that is drilled and tapped for rests stabilizers and fishing reel for around 120 the bow you are looking at has none of these features.......

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rmorgan736 For This Useful Post:

Tracker Bush Class Basic Certified NorthernArcher's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Ben Pearson Cougar

The first bow I bought as an adult was a 40# Ben Pearson Cougar. I paid $60 for the bow alone, and that was over a decade ago. It was a great bow to get me started, and I used it for a few years befor trading up. Enjoy :-)

Thanks

check for screw holes.. for some reason people loved to mount sites on the old recurves back in the 60s and 70s. Holes really devalue a bow. If it hasnt been drilled and tbe limbs are strait grab it. Get some beaver ball silencers, those old bows made a ton of noise.

I only bow hunt with longbows and recurves and make my own arrows. There is nothing better than sticking a nice 8pt with a traditional bow and a homemade arrow.. My go to bow is a 48lb St Joe River longbow. I've gotten lucky 6 years in a row and have probably harvested over 20 deer with traditional equipment.

T4