Thread: Smaller Groupings

Thanks

Default Smaller Groupings

I’ve been putting a lot of practice time in with my new/old Root Brush Master. Having only owned it for a couple weeks, I knew it would take time to learn its subtleties, so I average about 200 arrows a day at various distances to get to know it.

In the course of extra scrutiny, I discovered something about my own instinctive shooting process and have been able to tap into it and shrink my groupings to quite an extent. I realized that if I draw to full anchor point and forward posture while purposely looking down and to the right of my target a few inches and then raise my focus up and left to the target center (and allow my body to do the slight adjustment), my accuracy greatly improves.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wilderman For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I stare at the spot I want to hit. The more I concentrate on the smallest spot I can the better the results.

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,742 Times in 3,794 Posts

If I shoot with my bow canted off to the right (i'm right handed), and don't come to a perfectly full draw, i have an easier time getting tighter groups... still haven't figured that one out... i think it has to do with the former being instinctive, and the latter being where i'm trying subconciously to "aim"... and thus overthinking it.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hillbow View Post
    I stare at the spot I want to hit. The more I concentrate on the smallest spot I can the better the results.
    what he said. I pick a tiny spot, and my eye never leaves it otherwise my arrows drift.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 324 Posts

I have noticed that a forward posture helps me a lot, too. Haven't noticed that a shift of focus from down and right to centered helps, but then I haven't tried it. Maybe it just gives you a second or so to narrow your focus? I'll have to try it.

Thanks

I appreciate the responses… been on vacation, so I haven’t gotten back to play with it much.

The “small spot focus” is one that I’ve read about before. I may replace my current targets with plastic gallon milk bottle tops… they’re about 1 1/8” diameter and should make pretty good “small” targets to focus on.

I think the sort of "drift to center" approach that I've had success with may simply be a vehicle for narrowing focus... could have disadvantages if I started to rely on it.

Scout
    Thanks

you don't need a small target, just focus you eye on a small spot. Draw and X and focus on the center, heck a small smudge on your target will work, just something to focus on.