Thread: simple but nice bow hanger

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified MrKnobbie's Avatar
    Thanks

Default simple but nice bow hanger

Since this is about archery, and not really "Self-made GEAR" I thought I'd post this here.

Recently, someone posted a thread on how to care for thier bows. Most people recommend either laying down flat or hanging by a peg.
    I've also been needing a better way to store my bows inside. I was just laying them down behind a cedar chest. It gets to about 125 deg in the summer time in the garage- not good for bows and arrows, especially hand made bows with bamboo backing epoxied on. Laying down is fine, but dang it I'm a self-sufficient bushcrafter! I can do better.

Nothing difficult about this. I got this round from Micheal's since I don't have the access to nice logs. Any piece of wood will do; I made one for the garage with a 2x4. I brought out the grain by burning with a torch, and then some Danish oil (my favorite finish). It was still a little flat, so I brushed on some semi-gloss poly. The pegs are pieces of a busted cedar arrow, and to make it more "archery looking" I used some spare nocks. I drilled the holes with a slight angle, almost all the way through but not quite. The shaft was 11/32, which is bigger than a 5/16 bit, so I needed to sand down the ends to fit the hole. It is held to the wall with simple drywall anchor screws with a counter sink.

IMG_0020 by MrKnobbie, on Flickr

IMG_0018 by MrKnobbie, on Flickr

I think using antler tines would be neat too, but I don't have those. I may cover the wall hanging holes with something- maybe glue a piece of leather with some stamped design on it. Not incuding drying time for about 4 coats of two different finishes, and the time it took to drive to the craft store and back, I think this project took about an hour. Now your turn guys- make 'em then show and tell!

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MrKnobbie For This Useful Post:

Khukuri Dullard Supporter The Stumpy One's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 950 Posts

Clever idea!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,024 Posts

Hey nice work man! Looks awesome. Very rustic with the round, but obviously intended for archery with the pegs. I really like that. I'll probably try to copy this somewhat, in the near future. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    BotB member # 25
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from Bad Judgment.

PVC Weapons Maker Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 Times in 595 Posts

I like how you used pieces of arrow for the hangers.

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified MrKnobbie's Avatar
    Thanks

I forgot to mention that if you use wood with the bark on it, be sure to give is a liberal coating of polyurethane to prevent it from flaking off.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrKnobbie For This Useful Post: