Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ocala National Forest

Thanks

Default Ocala National Forest

Okay well it seem most of the people don't want to go out hiking or camping during the heat as it can get in the 100s somedays during summer so i say when it gets a little colder maybe in oct or nov we will have too pen point the day/days we will be getting there but start posting when u could make it or whats up as i know most people here will be hunting during oct idk ( i know i will)

just try and find a middle for everybody

Mike

Thanks

Is this the agreed upon meeting place for a Florida (or SouthEast) Gathering? I was there last February. I liked it. It seems a happy-medium meeting place (as I'm one of the few who's not near the Florida panhandle).

Probably need to clarify some expectations, though. Like where to stay (in the forest). What's everyone's creature comfort limits. People can stay in the forest for free if you go off in the woods just about anywhere, but there's no running water, bathrooms, etc... They do have campsites, but they're like $18 a night. My suggestion is go the least-common denominator route. Go with a campsite area, if folks plan to bring wives and kids then going a primitive route isn't gonna be as enjoyable. Especially, if folks are less experienced. Those who chose to go more primitive can do so anywhere.

I'd think meeting on a weekend would be good, like Fri night - Sun afternoon.

Have little or no hiking to the destination so precious time isn't wasted traveling to get to the group. There's lotsa forest roads there so it should be easy to pick a place where it's quick and easy to get together somewhere. I stayed at Hopkins Prairie which might be an option as it's easy to get to by car.

The forest Rangers were very helpful with all my questions (over the phone and at the Visitor's Center) before I got there. This website was where I got most of my info about the forest. There's a free on-line map (pdf) there as well.

Ocala National Forest

Apparently, there's also a couple other nearby wildlife areas that could be options as well:
    Osceola National Forest
    Apalachicola National Forest

Certified Nut Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,795 Times in 1,556 Posts

Check out the thread "Let's get together"
    Suicidal lizards and barefoot worms.
    btw i got chiggers on my butt.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,394 Times in 2,760 Posts
    Items for Sale

Is camping in the end of November to December good in south Florida? If I can get things worked out, I want to do the Florida Trail this winter. I know it goes through Ocala NF, as well as several others. I have the Disabled Veteran Access Pass, for any federal lands, so the fees are at least 50% off, if any at all.

If anyone is a disabled vet, all you need to do is take proof (your VA compensation letter) to a Ranger Station, and they will give you a plastic card, usable on ANY federal lands (BLM, NP, NF, etc). Also, some states have the same thing, like Georgia, for state parks, hiking trails, etc.

Certified Nut Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,795 Times in 1,556 Posts

Yes! It's still shorts weather all the way up to GA, and USUALLY the nights are comfortable. I've been in the Keys at X-mas and seen it in the low 40's as well as the high 80's at night. so do throw a long sleeve top and pants just in case. Comfortable camping normally breaks around or a little before Thanksgiving around ONF. There are no fees for primitive camping in ONF nor along quite a bit of the FL Trail. Of course, fees apply at org. camps like Juniper springs and Alexander springs. Some of south FL hiking along the trail will require wading at times, but north of Orlando it's pretty dry barring heavy rainfall.
    Suicidal lizards and barefoot worms.
    btw i got chiggers on my butt.

Scout
    Thanks

take your pick on the florida trial, it goes from all the way in big cypress near the everglades to all the way passed pensacola....a big section of it runs through the appilachicola nat forest as well....and what madmax said i remember days were i was wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts in winter haha....that was miami but panama city is a little different, it can get a bit chilly haha....this last year we were just as cold as you guys up in alabama and georgia... i still think appilachicola national forest would be a good bet for a florida meetup....its between panama city and tallahase and the largest forest in the state so plenty of places to mess around......plus i think itd be a bit easier for poeple to get to from the north....but in october and november type months wed be stuck to defined campsites and maybe hunting camps....itll be hunting season after all

Scout
    Thanks

late summer early fall wouldnt be that bad either, may be hotter than what most are used too but its not a 100 degree weather that i just hiked in the other day...that was fun haha

Thanks
    Thanked 12,394 Times in 2,760 Posts
    Items for Sale

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I have been reviewing it online and received the pack from the FT Assoc, and wanted to see what you guys knew of it. I know that the FTA says you can't carry firearms, but unless they became part of the judicial branch, and override state and federal law, I think I will just ignore them.

Thanks

Yea where ever we go im most likly gonna have my m9 in my bag somewhere for just in case

Thanks

Yea well while chance said something about hunting camps ect im a hunter have been since a little kid. so if anybody trad bow hunts during this oct im going too be going up too my moms place in north florida too get some whitetail. so if anybody wants too come ur more than welcome just no firearms just trad bows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast