Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Eastern White Pine

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Desmodus
    Thanks for sharing this! Well done!

How far west does the Eastern White Pine naturally grow? Can I find it in the midwest?

Thanks for the feedback.

In the link below is a US map showing the states Eastern White Pine can be found. You can click on a state and it will give you the counties it can be found as well. In my experience with other trees, the maps are fairly accurate.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PIST
    abo4ster and others: be forewarned that the maps on the above URL are not 100% accurate. They left out half a dozen NC counties, including mine, where there are literally thousands of acres of white pine canopied forests. They also have a tool where you can put in info on the usda site, but it is currently not working but thanks for the otherwise usefool tool!

ps: I hope my post doesnt sound too negative...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whitepine For This Useful Post:

Boe

Guide
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
    abo4ster and others: be forewarned that the maps on the above URL are not 100% accurate.
    I agree with the maps not being completely accurate; unfortunately, there are not that many range maps online. For the most part, they can get you close... I think many discrepanies occur on the freeze zone boundaries...

Thanks for pointing it out, good that folks know these maps aren't perfect.
    Last edited by abo4ster; 04-23-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Guide
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firm_04 View Post
    Is there any health concern about drinking white pine tea on a daily basis ? This morning I found a big recently fallen branch with thousand of needles to harvest
    All I can say is... I don't know.

Too much of anything can kill you, but I doubt a cup of pine tea a day would have a negative effect even in the long term. I would imagine coffee would be a far worse beverage daily and look how many drink coffee everyday...

Again, outloud speculation on my part. Really don't know.

Tracker Bush Class Basic Certified Firm_04's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abo4ster View Post
    All I can say is... I don't know.

Too much of anything can kill you, but I doubt a cup of pine tea a day would have a negative effect even in the long term. I would imagine coffee would be a far worse beverage daily and look how many drink coffee everyday...

Again, outloud speculation on my part. Really don't know.
    You are totally right, thanks

Guide
    Thanks

Two and half years later and the wound from harvesting the inner bark in the video has healed nicely. Branch did not die, but did have less needles.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abo4ster For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Eastern White Pine

The distance between the branches of an Eastern White Pine is that years growth. You can get a rough age of a white pine by counting the branch whorls plus branch scars. The distance between the branches is an indication of how good the site is. The white pine is a preferred specie of the white tail deer so that in many states, it is very difficult to establish.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,442 Posts

W.Pine is one of my favorite trees (unless its near my house or driveway). Its range however is still being pushed further and further north as well as sugar maple. Massachusetts for example has had its hardiness zone changed from 6 to 5/5B. In the ADK Oaks are moving into pine habitat where oak has never been seen before. In just the past 10 years they started finding Oak up near cranberry lake in pine stands.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vanitas For This Useful Post:

Tracker Supporter
    Thanks

i've made pine needle tea from white pine a few months ago but maynot have processed it right to make it as tasty and effective. i just threw a couple clusters of 5 needles in the hot water and let it cook a little bit..still not bad but im sure there is a better way. my wife and i are both sick with chest colds (given to us by our grandson lol) and i may trek out and make the inner bark tea. Chris thank you so much for the video. now i know how to best collect it for my use and do minimal dammage to the tree. this kind of info ya can't even put a value on
    frog

Thanks

thanks for the usefull link

Thanks
    Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dink View Post
    I have about 20 of these in my front yard (of the place I am selling) that I planted in 1990. Just don't plant them or any other evergreen within a certain distance to fruit trees...I forget how far...it will cause the fruit to get rust rot on it and pretty well ruins the crops. I will plant some at my new place on the back of the property as far from my orchard as possible.
    If you are talking White Pine Blister Rust, its alternate hosts are Ribes (raspberry, ect). I can't think of a rust that moves from W.Pine on to most fruit trees. However Cedar Apple Rust may be what you are thinking of. This rust ruins crops but doesn't affect W. Pine.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast