Thread: anyone on here hunt Elk in unit 44 or 444 in Co.

Thanks

Default anyone on here hunt Elk in unit 44 or 444 in Co.

I have hunted Elk in Idaho for close to 10 years now. I'm not saying that the wolves are to blame (they are... and lack of winter range) but the elk population has really decreased. So I am considering doing my archery hunting in Colorado. I don't know much about the area... but, I know someone there that says unit 44 is a pretty good place to start. Anyone here do any Elk hunting in Co? I don't mind steep. My longbow only weights 2 lbs.

Scout
    Thanks

Default Colorado Elk Hunting

Only lived in Colorado for a few years, but I enjoy GMU 18 and 181. You can go into Rocky Mountain National Park, park on the west side of the Park and walk in at Bowman Gulch to the Never Summer Wilderness. It is beautiful and there are a lot of elk in the area. The park rangers have you sign in, which is a nice thing to have someone looking out for you. There are alot of nice hunting areas in Colorado, what I am learning is, find one you like and stick to it, because the more you learn about the area, the better off you'll be. If you get up this way, give us a hollar, would be interested in how you do.

Thanks

Thank for the reply. I think I have change my mind to either 14 or 15. Should have been figuring out a bid on a set of steps today. Instead I was doing elk research. I can tell It is time that those big mountains call.

Thanks

I hunted north of the areas covered by 44 and 444 many years ago. I do not know what the areas were numbered but it is the country south of the Flattops and west of the Bond/McCoy area. Like all Elk country, when it is good it is good and when it is bad..... well its bad.

I started hunting well south of there and good success in the late 1980's around the south end of South Park towards the west side. This would be south of Fairplay and south of the highway that runs down towards Buena Vista. It was an area of good bull to cow ratios and I saw many medium sized bulls in any season. This area is a good early season place.

A friend of mine hunts west of the Steamboat area you noted, north of Craig and south of the Little Snake river. It is open country, rolling hills and draws, with lots of sagebrush. When the Elk migrate from over East towards their winter range it can be excellent. Lots of public land. Probably not a good archery area as the migration is pretty late in the season.

I also hunted west of Walden in the Zirkel Wilderness area. North of Buffalo Pass. Nice country and there used to be a lot of Elk in there.

All this is fifteen years ago and longer as I now live in South Dakota and I no longer keep up with what is going on down there. Black Hills Elk hunting is good but permits are tougher to get.
    Last edited by wsdstan; 07-28-2010 at 09:59 AM.