Thread: Eat the weeds

Thanks

Default Eat the weeds

I don't know if this has been posted before but this guys youtube channel is pretty good. He is a little annoying now and then but good info.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EatTheWeeds

Mike

Thanks

It has been but not in a while I don't think. Probably plenty of other people who hadn't seen it. I kind of like the guy - wish I were closer to FL, I think one of his classes would be interesting. He's got a website with links to the youtube videos and more info:

http://www.eattheweeds.com

Thanks

I like Green Dean. I have him faved in my Youtube account for about a year now. Check out "The Mother Of All Laxitives" Wild cucumbers, about the size of gum drops.

Thanks

Default Eat the Weeds & Bushcraft

I just ran across this Youtube channel and subscribed to his newsletter. Some really interesting information, and it answers questions I've had for a while, such as what to do with a sycamore tree.

To the forager, or the bush crafter, another advantage of the sycamore is its light-colored wood can be used to make safe utensils such as wooden spoons, forks or skewers. Historically it was made into boxes to hold food as well as fruit and vegetable baskets.

Thanks

Green Dean is a pretty cool guy. I have attended 2 of his classes and will do it again, takes me a while to learn some stuff.

Scout
    Thanks

Greetings All,

Mr. Dean apparently knows quite a bit. But I wouldn't trust anything you see on his Eat the Weeds site without verification. I am glad to see some folks like him in testimonials here and there. But he has handled himself badly on another one of the survival boards, and has given some potentially fatal misinformation there. No one who has the kind of misidentified plants he has on his own website, should be blindly trusted.

Watch, enjoy, but verify.

edibleplantguy

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edibleplantguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,485 Posts

I took one of his classes and enjoyed it. He does/has pointed out dangerous plants as an FYI to not mess with it. I'm curious which plants he had wrong and if they are still on his website. Please do realize though that FL where he is based out of has some of the most diverse plant life in the nation. There's look alike plants and thats one thing that is addressed in his classes.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Okbushcraft View Post
    I like Green Dean. I have him faved in my Youtube account for about a year now. Check out "The Mother Of All Laxitives" Wild cucumbers, about the size of gum drops.
    There are more than one "wild cucumber" plant. 2 of 3 are mildly toxic and the third though used by natives for some medicinal uses is also listed as toxic. If he is eating a mildly toxic plant of course his body will try and reject it. I'm not sure what he is exactly calling wild cucumber because I;m sure there are more plants with this same name. I'll check out his youtube vid tonight and see if he mentions the scientific name. If it is the one I am thinking I wouldnt eat it. Sure it will make you poop but you're putting your body in distress to do it. May be better off getting Chinese food at your local Chinese dive for the food poisoning.

UPDATED: Watched the Video:
    OK, To start with the one he is talking about is Creeping Cucumber not wild cucumber. These are different plants.
    Creeping Cucumber:

Wild Cucumber (man-root):

Please do not confuse these... one is edible one is not.

While Creeping Cucumber is toxic they are only toxic when ripe/over ripe. They are like ferns. Eat them while young, fiddlebacks are good so is creeping cucumber. I have eaten it before, but only when light green. If it gets green I wont eat them once they start to turn. Wild cucumber is not the same as Creeping cucumber so please be very careful and dont go eating wild cucumber because you heard it mentioned in this thread.
    Last edited by Vanitas; 07-22-2013 at 05:14 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vanitas For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Greetings All,

While I have no desire to denigrate or demean the Eat-the-Weeds site, if one bills oneself as an edible plant expert, as he does endlessly, in my world that requires certain performance standards. Knowing that Florida has one of the most diverse floras in the world, in no way excuses neither him, nor anyone else from casually posting dangerous mistakes. Obvious mis-identifications in his own posts, that I do not regularly visit, have persisted for years. I have no intention of itemizing his problems, just to inform others where caution is required.

Thank you for reading.

edibleplantguy

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edibleplantguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edibleplantguy View Post
    Greetings All,

While I have no desire to denigrate or demean the Eat-the-Weeds site, if one bills oneself as an edible plant expert, as he does endlessly, in my world that requires certain performance standards. Knowing that Florida has one of the most diverse floras in the world, in no way excuses neither him, nor anyone else from casually posting dangerous mistakes. Obvious mis-identifications in his own posts, that I do not regularly visit, have persisted for years. I have no intention of itemizing his problems, just to inform others where caution is required.

Thank you for reading.

edibleplantguy

Respectable IMO. One should always know what one is eating... see "into the wild". I'll be honest the only time I eat wild edibles is when I am working in a R.O.W. Even then there are certain ones I wont eat because I'm unaware of the look alike that grows in that area. When it comes to wild edibles one should not just take an-others word even an "expert". Every once in a while while in a hurry I'll mis ID a tree (happened the other day) or mean to say one thing and say another... see my post above (was looking at Fiddleback Forge's website and called fiddleheads fiddlebacks). Always cross check anything you put in your body. You would be surprised how many things you think you are eating and you are actually eating something else. In fact in restaurants you have less than a 50% chance to get the type of fish you actually ordered.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vanitas For This Useful Post: