Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emmrod Pack fishing pole

Thanks

Default Emmrod Pack fishing pole

Okay tribe first let me start by saying I am in no means a "fisherman". (however ,it being a good bush skill to have I felt I should try.)

After spending several months of reading various threads on finding a good pack pole, I decided to take the leap for all of us and buy a Emmrod Packer fishing pole

Now let me start buy saying I have far less time then I am sure 99% of you. Up till about 2 months ago the last time I dropped a line in the water was more then 25 years ago.

However my lack of knowledge/practical experience I feel gives me a perfect point of view as to the issues facing a new fisherman.

So in the last few months I have spent about $200 bucks on varies wally world fishing setups for myself and family. During that time my R&D department. (staffed by my 11 y/o son) has managed to destroy or break 2 out of 4 poles. One a collapsible model the other a standard 6 ft.

This brought me to chasing down the Emmrod pole.

First, let me say I am using a spinning reel on this set up. this is not what they recommend but I had two spare from the R&D dept...so I used it.

Second...while the reel showed no issues on the pole. I am not reveiwing the reel.

Now on to the review. If you watch the videos on the Emmrod site...they show you a ton of different points to the pole they have designed. I was interested in only 2 of these points...however a third did become a wonderful suprise.

Point one. Packability/Size. I have broken this pole down and stuffed it in to my pack with no concerns of it breaking or snapping. The metal construction make this thing almost bomb proof.

It lives in the side pocket of my Snugpak rocket pack. I can have it out and assembled in about 60 seconds. This includes attaching the reel and stringing the line.[IMG][/IMG]

Point two. The ability to get a good cast from a small rod and reel.

Since I choose to fish creeks i am always dealing with low over hanging limbs and river edge plants. As a novice, fishing with a standard pole, in those conditions was a nightmare. I lost lines,hooks, and my dignity to limbs and branches.

With the packer I was able to cast EXACTLY where I wanted to with very little practice.

The added bonus I cam to really enjoy...due to the built in spring. Setting the hook...is actually done by the fish.

Ok so that my 2 cents review. While I do have a "hobo" fishing kit. the Emmrod packer is my pole of choice.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."--John Wayne

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified madmax's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,604 Times in 1,826 Posts

Well awright! That's certainly not a cookie-cutter rod and reel. And nothin' can refute a stringer of fish. Sounds like you found your ideal pack rod.

Thanks

I'd love to see it in use..

WILDEROXEN Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,614 Times in 4,302 Posts

That is a awsome little rig,the spring rod is brilliant! bet it was fun to use.
    Take care.
    M/BK
    http://www.youtube.com/user/OperationalExtras http://operationalextras.wordpress.com/
    LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
    Tracker Pack # 1/Flint Tracker Pack #1

Team Canada Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,923 Times in 2,060 Posts

looks good-that rod has intrigued me for awhile-one day i'm gonna have to just buy it

Guide
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nerual the Mad View Post
    I'd love to see it in use..
    There are many on the companies website:

http://www.emmrod.com/index.cfm?page=Mediaroom.cfm

Thanks
    Thanked 32,504 Times in 9,256 Posts

Thanks, that is a neat idea, ideal for a bit of unplanned fun on a trip.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 37,669 Times in 10,195 Posts

Thats different lookin, might need to try that
    Nie pogrywaj ze mna

Mod Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,557 Times in 4,434 Posts
    Items for Sale

Nice little poles, have fished with a few of the same design before. They were orginally desgined for ice fishing, sold in the 50's under the brand name "Stub Caster" I passed one up in an antique shop a few months ago, they wanted too much for it and the handle was broken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Skab Leatherworks Subforum

Blog

Tracker Pack#10

Scout
    Thanks

Man that is just what I have been looking for. I am going to get one of those and try it out. Thanks for the review!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast