Thread: Swiss Army Meta-50

Thanks
    Thanked 4,011 Times in 1,127 Posts

Default Swiss Army Meta-50

I just picked this up from the Post Office…it’s a Swiss Meta-50 cookset. It appears to be in its original box and wrappers and in un-issued condition. That makes me pretty happy because I’ve wanted one for a while now. I also ordered a couple of SAFs…Swiss Army Funnels. They are very nice seamless spun aluminum dated ’51.

There is a pot-ring that allows the pots to be stacked in a double-boiler arrangement. That seems to be the only purpose for it…though it might work as a snow base under the windscreen.

There is no burner, just a fuel cup. I believe “Meta” tablets (manufactured in Switzerland) were issued as fuel for it…and probably the same for the bottle stove.

Meta (Metaldehyde) is somewhat poisonous and not sold in the USA. Besides its use as a solid fuel, it is used as a pesticide for slugs. Esbit tablets can be used as a safer substitute.

The fuel cup is large enough to hold various burner options, so you’re not limited to tablet fuel. I found that an empty Tuna can fits perfectly inside. That means I can use it as a liner when burning tablets to keep the cup clean. If you use a side-opening can opener, the original lid can be used as a snuffer to save unburnt fuel.

I ordered it from Deutsche Optik

I also have a German source bookmarked - Bausenwein
    Dave

Thanks

That double boiler type option is for melting snow for drinking water, used the heat that always escapes around the edges, saves fuel in the long run.
    MSR had a very similar idea in the original MSR Mountain cook set, sadly no longer made. there is a risk of it falling down but that is true of all stacked pots. SIGG also had a stacking pot system for a while, it too is now unavailable

Guide
    Thanks

Interesting cooker. YouTube link to see it in action:

YouTube - Swiss Army storm cooker META 50 in action

OD

Thanks
    Thanked 4,011 Times in 1,127 Posts

Mmmm...beanz and wienies
    Dave

Guide
    Thanks

The French sure know how to cook. Viva le Beanz Winniez a la Heinz!

A nice dry white?

OD
    Last edited by OregonDave; 08-22-2010 at 08:00 PM.