Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: homemade fire piston

Thanks

Default homemade fire piston

I made this fire piston with a few modifications from what you normally see. It's made from a 6 inch by 1/4 inch copper pipe nipple with a piece of steel rod for the piston. I made the recess for the fuel in the side of the end instead of the end like most pistons. It's MUCH easier to get the lit ember out this way. Because of the side hole though I needed to utilize the full 6 inches of the pipe nipple instead of the 4 1/2" recommended for the standard design. Also on the other end of the piston for a handle, I mounted a small aluminum water proof container. It comes in handy as a storage for my fuel (chaga or true tender fungus). below is a video demo of this fire piston.

YouTube - Homemade Fire Piston Demo

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 37,183 Times in 10,047 Posts

Thumbs up

Thats a pretty darn slick idea! Well done. Maybe you could put a little nail in the storage tube to help you get the Chaga out, that way its part of the kit and you'd always have it with ya
    Nie pogrywaj ze mna

Thanks

i think i will try and make a fire piston today. i have been convinced.

Thanks

I made one out of a copper plumbing stubout about two years ago after reading an article in the Backwoodsman. It works great but I need to get around to covering it with bamboo or wood so it looks more abo.
    Mine was made from about $5 worth of part's from Lowes. All you need is a stubout, some dowel, an O-ring and a little time to make one.
    Last edited by Scooter; 09-15-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Slick! That seems to have taken the least amount of force to get started that I've seen so far, great job!

Thanks

Excellent job! Thanks for the ideas. Mac's idea about the nail or pin in the case to get the ember out is a great idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Mac View Post
    Thats a pretty darn slick idea! Well done. Maybe you could put a little nail in the storage tube to help you get the Chaga out, that way its part of the kit and you'd always have it with ya
    Great idea about the nail but in our area at least, it seems there is always a little twig thats handy nearby for the purpose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I made one out of a copper plumbing stubout about two years ago after reading an article in the Backwoodsman. It works great but I need to get around to covering it with bamboo or wood so it looks more abo.
    Mine was made from about $5 worth of part's from Lowes. All you need is a stubout, some dowel, an O-ring and a little time to make one.
    Yes I've seen that style also and would like to try to put one together sometime. Fire pistons are just really neat devices no matter what design they are.

Thanks

Outstanding! Thank you for the video.

Tracker
    Thanks

Thats very cool. I have one that was milled out of titanium, but havent had a chance to use it yet. Might anodize mine, but I like the idea that you can make your own for the cost of the parts....

Larry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast