Thread: Spanish-made Jukar rifles/CVA parts

Scout
    Thanks

Default Spanish-made Jukar rifles/CVA parts

After going through seven kinds of hell trying to replace my broken underbarrel ramrod on my .45 caplock Jukar long rifle, Dead Center, I can state unreservedly that their metric-sized hickory ramrods are a pain in the you-know-where. (3/8 is too big, 5/16 is too small.)

Dead Center was purchased last year from a trader at rendezvous and I had ignition problems with her until I figured out that she Does Not Like modern "substitutes" such as Pyrodex, Triple 7, etc. Once I switched over to pure, oldschool, black-frickin-powder, she shot fine every time.

The broken sear spring earlier this year pretty much proved the CVA antecedents of the lock, and the new spring is holding up well under fire, so to speak.

She got her name when we first test-fired her after purchase, and on only my third shot or so I placed a ball within half an inch of the center. (That was my first time ever shooting a blackpowder anything.)

For all the frustrations over the interim, I'd buy her again in a heartbeat. $120 is not bad for a reliable shooter, and I finally located someone who claims to be able to supply an underbarrel ramrod. (Hallelujah.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marvellous9 View Post

Dead Center was purchased last year from a trader at rendezvous and I had ignition problems with her until I figured out that she Does Not Like modern "substitutes" such as Pyrodex, Triple 7, etc. Once I switched over to pure, oldschool, black-frickin-powder, she shot fine every time.
    Have you tried CCI 11M (M= Magnum) or Musket Caps (needs a simple nipple change)? There hotter and the subs are slightly "sleepy". Just a thought if BP is harder to find or pricier in your area.

Rifleman 336

Guide
    Thanks

Default Gunsmith recently inset a teeny-tiney little flat

spring into the top of the rammer channel on an anonymous repro flint pistol. Picture one roughly like the band spring on a Mauser '98, but a whole lot smaller.

Anyway, it worked. The rammer doesn't fly out under recoil.

It was not a gunspring. It was one of a huge bunch he salvaged from an old Olivetti typewriter.

On my '70s era CVA "Tower" pistol, the smoothbore shoots birdshot well enough to kill a rabbit slightly past 7 yards. To do this, you have to get penetration, to get penetration you have to have velocity, and THAT requires charges on the hefty side for the design parameters. 30 grains of 3F in my case.

Since that started splitting the forend, I had it Acra-Glassed, and since the rammer was a loose fit, I had a little contact point built up in the rammer channel with Acra Glass. That has worked well.