Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hennessy Hammock "ZIP"

Thanks

imho if you think youve decided on a hammock .shop some more and be positive. weigh the pros and cons of each hammock and style.. do you want or need a bridge hammock? or a gathered end hammock? Hammocking is a really alot of fun ! tweeking the set up . tarp , whoopie slings , ect ect but if the hammock doesnt fit you or youre needs it isnt very comfortable. so take your time before you decide on which hammock is right for YOU..
    Last edited by jonesy; 10-05-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks

they come with the extra protection tarp... mine came in, used it... AMAZING!!! dealing with Hennessy was an AWESOME experience!

Thanks

If you are interested in a Hennessy Hamock, you should see if you can get one from REI. I've heard sometimes that they had demos set up. Even if they don't, they have a really good return policy, so if you don't like it then you can return it. That said, if you order from the HH website then you usually get free snake skins, and if you want you can swap out your standard rain fly for an upgraded one for the price difference. Shiping is pretty fast too.

Thanks

I have the Explorer bottom entry. I plan on getting the 2QZQ mod soon but will keep the bottom entry for the wet tarp syndrome and it helps with keeping mosquitoes out. Nothing like getting up in the morning and sliding your head across a tarp with cold condensation on the underside.

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,808 Times in 3,810 Posts

i got the HH Backpacker Asym. if you're only 5-5, 150lbs, you'll be fine in that. i used the bottom entrance for a few years. i originally used a foam pad for bottom insulation, but it's a royal PITA to use with the bottom entry. so i got an underquilt from JRB that has a slit in it as well. i eventually tired of not being able to reach outside, so i had the Zipper Queen (see previous poster's link) make the mod to my hammock. it's about 4oz heavier now, but i love it.

i like the stock tarp. it's super-simple to set up. even in a downpour, you can get the hammock up in no time if you have the snakeskins to keep it all dry while you set up. however, it is a little small and takes some site selection skill to use to its maximum benefit. if you do it right, you can pretty much tie it out flat, at a slight incline, maximizing the area covered. however, you have to be way back in a thicket or some sort of windbreak, so the windblown rain doesn't get to you. the rain falls straight down then, and the area is big enough to be comfortable under.

i did buy another tarp though, from OES. it's a small company run by a kid who's in his last years of college. great tarp. catenary cut, bombproof sewing and construction throughout. sorta hex shaped. i have one side rigged to tie down almost to the ground (windward side). the other side gets propped up with sticks, like a leanto, sort of. that's my favorite setup. if the weather goes to heck, i can just pull the sticks underneath, and their weight keeps it down on that side.

you can see the sticks in the attached pics. i had the back side up a bit that day too, but you can see what i mean. the tarp is grey.
    Last edited by Seeker; 05-17-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123