Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: appalachian trail two bladed pocket knife

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 300 Posts

Default appalachian trail two bladed pocket knife

picked this up a Lowes ($10) last week and have been putting it through the paces this week...

basic 2 blade trapper style pocketknife, 3" clip and sheepsfoot blades, weighs 4 oz

so far so good... came out of the box shaving sharp, which surprised me at that price... fits my hand well and is well balanced for a pocket knife... held a decent edge through a bunch of paper, an old leather belt, three fuzz sticks(two in fatwood, one in birch) whittling the knob on a blackthorn cane for my kid sister, and butchering one chicken... it was dull by the time I was done with the bird.... only took a minute with a diamond stone to get it back to shaving...easiest sharpening stainless knife I've seen... for ten bucks I think its a decent knife... I think my barlow has been replaced as my EDC

Guide
    Thanks

I have this set of theirs. I bought then on clearance for $8.00. The larger one is one EDC the most of the two. Not bad knives for the price and I think you get a bit more quality than you pay for.

Thanks

Update... I have done two more chickens with this knife and deboned some thighs and drumsticks for stir fry... and... and I know this is dumb, and it isn't a practice I normally use a folder for... I batoned a piece of birch into kindling... you would never know it... I still had too run it through an old piece of denim 15 times before I had to touch up the edge again...

Thanks

Where is it made?

Thanks

made in china... which is part of why I was surprised it has performed so well....

Thanks

Cool

I was just wondering.

Thanks

at first I'm thinking thats great; then I stop myself and think I can get a mora for $12. still, sounds like a pleasant surprise on quality. thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leaf and lightning View Post
    basic 2 blade trapper style pocketknife, 3" clip and sheepsfoot blades, weighs 4 oz
    The blade with the rounded end is actually a "spey" blade, not a "sheepsfoot". In the pic below, #9 is the "sheepsfoot" and #7 is the "spey".

The "trapper" is actually my favorite traditional style pocket knife and I own several.
    Last edited by mdauben; 11-04-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Guide
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    at first I'm thinking thats great; then I stop myself and think I can get a mora for $12. still, sounds like a pleasant surprise on quality. thanks for sharing.
    You can get a Mora for $12 and at least $6 shipping.

That trapper looks like it was made off the old Shrade pattern. Shrade is now owned by Taylor Brands LLC, and made in china, their initial quality was ho-hum, but they have been improving lately.

Scout
    Thanks

I have 2 of them, carry em with me everywhere and they've proven themselves to be suitable for most tasks. Had a little dificulty with the edge on one but once I got it straightend out it was golden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast