Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun inserts

Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 816 Posts

Default Shotgun inserts

I thought I would share this with you guys because it is a great way to have a longarm which can shoot very widely available pistol cartridges in a gun you may already own in a SHTF scenario... or just for fun!

I got some 12 ga barrel inserts recently from a fellow who goes by "latherunner" over on gunbroker. I ended up with an 8" & 12" 9mm and also a 10" .45 ACP barrel. I've got say that my transaction with the guy was extremely positive and speedy. The guy makes the inserts himself in his garage so he is very ammenable to suggestions and commentary. You end up with practically a custom product.

The 9mm and .45 ACP are particularly great for shotgun inserts because of the tapered case of those cartrdiges. It means that they likely not get stuck even though one uses your fingernails to remove the cases. I experienced about 200 fps increase in velocity with my handloads for the 9 mm barrels and about 50 fps increase for the .45 ACP. My 9mm handloads were 124 gr JHP on top of 3.8 gr and 4.6 gr of Unique while the .45 CP was 255 gr Oregon Trail hard cast SWC over 5.8 gr of Unqiue to an OAL of 1.12".

I used the inserts in my Beretta BL-1 and it was a treat! The front ghost ring on my overunder had a the very fortunate coincidence of have POA=POI @ 25y for my upper barrel for the .45 ACP loads. For my 9mm loads in the upper barrel, they tended to shoot about 1 to 2" low and about 2" to the left. The lower barrel printed all of the ammo I ran about 2" to 3" above POA but nicely centered left-right. Th .45 ACP was the most accurate for me and I could hit a 6" steel plate at 40 y offhand with impunity. It doesn't sound like that great a shot but it was a lot of fun. In general, the inserts will easily manage about 1" per 25 y out to the 25y that I shot standing, offhand. The .45 ACP insert gave a very pleasant, soft push of recoil whiel the 9 mm while slightly snappy but still very light.

Here is a typical group for the 9 mm insert (12" barrel, 9 shots, clocking the barrel):

Here is the .45 ACP target to the left:

A couple more 9mm targets with various ammo:

Here's a youtube vid of the insert being inserted into the barrel:

I do plan on installing better sights on the thing to see if it can shoot any better. I already have the pieces - just need to drill and tap. The rear sight is a Skinner ladder-type aperature that I took off a Marlin I have. If my measurements are right, I can still just use the front hooded sight alone - like a regular shotgun - when the rear aperature is folded and still have a decent, fast and bright sight picture for shotgun use and close in pistol cartridge work. I love this thing

I'm going to try it with duct tape before I drill...
    Last edited by alukban; 11-09-2010 at 06:39 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alukban For This Useful Post:

Elder
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 2,430 Posts

Those are sweet!
    Do you think I could find one to fit a 20 gauge barrel?

PMZ

Thanks

Just go on gunbroker and look for a seller called "latherunner" and send him a question... you never know

Thanks

Here is another place to get some too http://www.mcace.com/Insertsindex.htm

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maccool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 268 Posts

how much did those set you back... I might try to get one of those in .357 for my 20Ga... oh and is it legal if the insert is less than 18"?(ie, is the insert length considered as barrel length?)

Scout
    Building guns in the shadow of Appalachia
    Thanks

Drill Here, Drill Now is ok for oil, not so much where you have that rear sight.

Drilling into the chamber is never a good idea, even if it is a shotgun. Move it down past the forcing cone, and I'd be much happier for you.

As to the inserts themselves, I really like the idea, and am glad these are working out for you.

Thanks

There's actually a rib about 3" long above the chamber where I plan on drilling that is > 1/4" thick. Nice eh?

He charged me $65 plus shipping. He's only doing a couple of calibers in 12 ga right now. He has to tool up for reamers for other calibers and I guess that would up the cost a bit. I don't see why he could not turn down some more for 20 ga though I do not know if he offers inserts for that. Just ask the guy - you never know.

I am told that the mcace.com guy has a ridiculous waiting period - which is why I went over to gunbroker to look for one used and I stumbled onto this guy. He does have a web site which I forgot to post above:

http://zoot686.1free.ws/
    Last edited by alukban; 11-10-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 349 Posts

Are these inserts rifled? I have always been interested in this concept. Mac

Scout
    Thanks

Pict,

It appears he is using Green Mountain barrel blanks which do come rifled already. If you can find a competent machinist, it wouldn't be that hard to have one turned down. Which leads me to my next question. Which caliber would you pick for a double gun? lets say 20 ga. over and under?

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 349 Posts

I had a friend once set up an 18 inch SxS as a 12 ga/.45-70. The gun was being sent to Alaska as a survival rifle for a light plane. I never got to fire it.

If I were to set up one of these combo guns here in Brazil the rifle barrel would be in .38 special due to our ammo restrictions. They make the Rossi matched pair here as a 10 inch barrel pistol. You swap the .410 and .22 barrels. I would love to have one of them set up with a .38 special insert for the .410 barrel making it a 3 caliber gun.

I think the over under 20 ga would work real well with a .357 magnum insert.

12 ga over 7.63x39 with a 7.62x25 chamber adaptor?

Mac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast