Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paracord watch band

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Paracord watch band

I have a nice Suunto watch but they have crappy bands. From what I have read the bands tend to last about one year and cost around $40 to replace. I had just learned how to do the cobra stitch (king cobra in this case) that you guys use so I decided to make myself a watch band. I have used knot and loop latch before but I was afraid it might not be secure enough. I didn't like the big plastic buckles or the small ones so I used a little stick and loop. It works great and people seem to like it.

Added: I can increase or decrease the size of the loop to adjust tightness of the band. The cord that forms the loop is threaded up the center of the band to the watch. Another way to adjust a loop is to just twist it over once or twice if it is too loose.

David Enoch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DavidEnoch; 11-12-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks

Great job. I need to make one for myself. Too busy making stuff for others.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 732 Posts

I like it! Well done!

Scout
    Thanks

Nice job, David. I really need to learn how to do some of these knots. Thanks for giving us a look.

Jim

Into The Outdoors

Nice job, I love the looks and usefullness of paracord.

Thanks

That is a great looking band. How secure is that method of fastening when its under a coat or a bit loose as it stretches?

Tracker
    Thanks

The loop cords run back up through the center of the band. If the cord stretched, I can just pull the loop cords up a little with pliers and retie my knot. Or, just do a twist in the loop.

It is very secure. It looks like the stick would be a problem but the stick and loop are not any thicker than the King Cobra band.

I just went to the jeweler and got the battery replaced. Two people that worked there came out and asked where I got the band. A lot of people seem to like it but I suspect that it is a little too crafty for most people to wear.

David Enoch

Bushwhacker Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,464 Times in 2,402 Posts

Great Job David Looks Great how wide? Brother

Tracker
    Thanks

Very nice!

Can you show a close up picture of how your closing it on your wrist? I can see there is a stick or something but I'm curious to see a closer shot of it.

I've been thinking about doing this with an older Swiss army watch I have but I am not a big fan of the fastex buckles. (I have hair on my arms and they pull it out mercilessly.)

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks for the compliments. Someone asked how wide the watch band is. I just measured it and it is 1" wide. It is pretty thick which some will not like. I just measured and it is close to 1/2" thick. Remember that a King Cobra stitch is another layer of wrapping over a standard Cobra stitch so it gains both thickness and width.

The stick that I use to hold the loop is just a twig from my yard about 5/16" diameter and 1 3/8" long. I pointed the ends a little but not to a point. I cut a groove in the center to hold the stick centered on the strings that wrap around it. I came up with this idea on a bracelet I made that was coming off because the loop would slip over the knot. I whittled a stick and stuck it through the knot and it worked and people thought it was neat. I kept trying to come up with a useful tool to put there instead of the stick such as a fero rod but I didnt' want anything that might scratch something or might corrode and turn my skin green.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast