Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mini alice pack?

Thanks

I got my Mini Alice Pak in from The Sportsman's Guide. I must say that I am very impressed with this pack. I am a member of The Sportsman's Guide Club, so this pack only cost me $17.97, plus I receive shipping coupons from them all of the time, so I used my $5.00 off shipping coupon when I ordered it. Total cost was $21.46, including shipping from MN to TX. Not bad!

The Sportsman's Guide advertises this pack as:

* Rugged nylon material
    * Flap top with cinch strap
    * 3 front pockets with flap-top cinch
    * Padded, adjustable shoulder straps
    * Main area has a drawstring cinch.
    * Measures 10 1/4 x 4 x 13 1/2"h. overall. Weighs 1 lb., 14 ozs.

So let's start with the first description. It is made from a synthetic material. Supposed to be nylon, so I guess it is. It is made out of a very thick nylon material. Much more rugged than I expected. I stuffed some towels in it to get it to expand (as if packed) for these photos. The top flap uses two cinch straps to fasten it down. These straps are pretty long, so I can imagine shortening them some, after I have packed it for a woods trip.

The pack cinches close with a drawstring cinch, under the top flap. There is a two inch webbing strap, with grommets, sewed around the top. Don't know what this is for. You could effectively hang a pouch with the old style military web belt hooks, I suppose. (Perhaps someone else might have some knowledge what this webbing strap could be used for.)

The three front pouches are 7in deep x 4in x 4in. Lots of room. They have a snap strap at the bottom of the pouch, with a cinch at the top. These pouches have a single, grommet drain hole on the bottom, as does the main pack.

The pack has an inside pocket that is 7in deep x 5in x 9in. It has a cinch strap.

The shoulder straps can be adjusted for comfort with cinch straps, both at the top and at the bottom.

I am very happy with this pack. Good construction and much nicer than I thought the inexpensive price would bring. I look forward to giving it a field test.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pywacket For This Useful Post:

1stcavmp77

GREAT REVIEW MAN!! that is exactly the kind of review i was hoping for. that pack looks just like my medium alice. the webbing that you are talking about above the outside pouches can be used to attach small pouches or other things. on my medium i can put ten of the gi compass pouches on that part. the compass pouches are just the right size to hold an altoids tin and you can put all kinds of little goodies in an altoids tin. are the attachment points on the sides capable of holding a molle sustainment pouch do you think? you have sold me on this pack. i'm thinking of getting one for a book bag for college and adding some more pouches to it to perfect it's carrying and organization capabilities. this would allow me to edc a poncho and a lot of other little "daily neccesities" at college. also does the main flap have a little pouch built into it?

i wouldn't shorten the main cinch straps as that could cut down on your carrying capability and those straps can be used to attach things on the outside of the pack ie a jacket or tarp shelter or sleeping bag.
    Last edited by 1stcavmp77; 06-06-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks

Hey 1stcavmp77,

Thanks for the info. It's a great idea to use the compass pouches on the 2 inch webbing. That would add lots of small containers to the pack.

Yes, the flap does have an inside pocket in it. I would never have thought of looking if you hadn't mentioned it. Thanks. It has a Velcro closure.

And I did forget to mention that there are some MOLLE attachment straps on the sides and the bottom.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pywacket For This Useful Post:

1stcavmp77

you're welcome. i'm planning on getting one of these soon and adding some pouches to it. here's a link to an ebay seller that has 20 compass pouches for $22.95 and free shipping
    http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-20-Military-...A10%7C294%3A30

i hope i did that right. if not i'll post the name of the seller. it's the same seller that has the molle pack straps and waist belt if that helps.

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,185 Times in 9,935 Posts

Well gents, ya'll have got me considering one of these now. Things must have improved in the mini All Purpose Individual Carrying System AKA A.L.I.C.E. pack from when I looked and had them last. Nice review buddy. You're right the Webbing and grommets on the top are to be used for adding other gear. If any of you are old enough or have seen the older type of attachments that used a metal pin on style thats what the gromets are for similar to the old style pistol belts. The pocket in the Top Flap was used for a map case. I also Echo not to cut the straps. They are deliberatly kept long on a true ALICE pack for adding more headroom to the pack by adding such things as a folded poncho, sleeping pads etc to the top of the pack. I wouldn't cut them. The webbing on the side of an ALICE pack is not MOLLE. A MOLLE strap is a series of "Daisy Chained" straping that has an opening that runs on the verticle. The webbing on the side of the ALICE pack is wider and has an opening that runs on the horizontal. This was used for securing/lashing longer sized items to the side of the pack such as poles, skis etc. (This is all info based off the True Med and Larger alice Packs) You will also notice on your mini ALICE Pack that there are two quick release Mech. on the pack straps. By Pulling these up, the straps disengage and allow you to get out of the pack quickly. I didnt see if you have them on the mini but on the True Med and Large ALICE Pack there is even an emergency release mech to completely seperate the pack straps to get out of them even quicker.

Thanx Mac
    Nie pogrywaj ze mna

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt. Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, Sgt. Mac.

Yes, if you look at the last photo, you will see the quick release clamps on the bottom of the shoulder straps.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pywacket For This Useful Post:

1stcavmp77

one question - how is the stitching? i've read a lot posts on other forums about the stitching being bad and the seams splitting. i would appreciate it if you could let us know how it holds up after a couple weeks.

1stcavmp77

just ordered my mini-alice a couple days ago and it shipped yesterday. can't wait to get it and put it through it's paces. also have a maxpedition typhoon coming that i only have to pay shipping on and it's coming with a free m1 pouch too. woohoo.

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,185 Times in 9,935 Posts

Hey you two give us a review on them Mini ALICE packs ok
    Nie pogrywaj ze mna

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt. Mac For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Good review, sold me. I just ordered mine. I have used the Alice Pack for years, just retired after 23 years in the active Army and National Guard. One of the pieces I have kept from my active duty days back in the 80's was the large Alice with frame. Back in the my early days I also used a small, what we called a jungle ruck, from the Vietnam days days made of a lite wieght cotton canvas material, it detieriated to the point that I had a local Ft. Bragg gear manufacturer try and add new straps and snaps to it but they didn't do such a great job at replicating it so I still have it but it was retired about 1990. I hope this one is half as good as my old jungle ruck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to OhioShemanese For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast