Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does Ginseng usually grow

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Where does Ginseng usually grow

I was wondering where does ginseng grow i was really wanting to get into it next year and i heard it gets you a lot of money and also when does the season start

Trail Pounder

Well littleone ginseng grows in a lot of places. usually in shady areas usually on hillsides and in very well soil. the season start on sept. 1 to dec. 31 the laws are very strict and reading over them will help. also it depends on where you are for the season but this seems to be the general. lately the prices have been in the 300 - 550 dollar range dry.
    but i have seen it up to almost 1000 dollars dry.

Tracker
    Thanks

Oh wow that is very interesting thank you so it is still in season right now i live in west virginia and i was wondering if i should go out is the plant still showing

Scout
    Thanks

Around my area it grows on the sides of the mountains and hills. The harvest season is late August into September. Around here, it usually grows in loose rocky soil. You can plant and grow ginsing but "tame" ginsing doesn't sell as high as wild ginsing. It does take practice to be able to recognize wild ginsing.

Trail Pounder

well im not sure how well it grows in wv but you can look it up also you might want to check out the regulations for it and i live in S.E ohio and the plant hasnt been showing for awhile now and i doubt it is still showing in wv

Trail Pounder

yeah As BIGmoe says you should look up the plant and study it maybe even take the picture with you next year because once i first started when i was 12 i got t confused with many plants mainly small buckeye trees but once you find the first one it is easy to spot if your in the right spot.

Thanks

Hmm.. up here we're slowly trying to protect what's left of it..

Tracker
    Thanks

well thank you again it sure sounds like you guys know what your doing

Tracker
    Thanks

Check local laws, if its in a national forest or such. Not worth Federal court.

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cbsstony View Post
    Check local laws, if its in a national forest or such. Not worth Federal court.
    Good point, generally you can't take plants out of National forest, In many places you have to purchase a permit to harvest ginsing. Check your state and federal regulations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast