Thread: Para cord Rifle Sling How-To

Thanks

Lightbulb Para cord Rifle Sling How-To

So I was asked to give in detail on how i made my rifle sling. Hopefully I'm able to explain it well enough.

This is what the finished product should look like...

There are a few things you will need, obviously the rifle. This is my Para cord/Knot kit that i take with me on the boat. A guy gets bored for a month cruising up and down the Mississippi river.

But you will need...
    1. Rifle
    2. 100ft of your choice of para cord should do it.
    3. Electrical Tape
    3. A pair of scissors
    4. A small pair of needle nose pliers
    5. A couple of needles (various sizes) I get the ones for needle point? They are bigger than regular sewing needles
    6. A lighter
    7. Two sets of plastic clips, I use three which i will explain later. The clips i use are 1 1/4" clips. They come from worn life vests.

The first thing your going to want to do is choose the spots on your rifle you want to attach to. Once you've found those locations wrap a bit of electrical tape around them. I made mine about 2 1/2 " wide or so. The reason i did this was trial and error. I started on it and found the cordage would slide all over the place. By wrapping the spot it gives the cord something to grip to plus protect the stock.

After you wrap it with electrical tape your gonna want to gut some para cord. What i mean by this is that para cord has 7 inner strands, your going to take those out. Now for mine i had roughly 20ft of gutted para cord from another project i did. Next your going to wrap the para cord around the stock. This can be done a couple ways. I kinda have my own way of doing it, but i learned from this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paracord-Lighter-Wrap/

If you read threw that you would have gotten the idea.

What i did was wrap it as wides as i wanted. Then i counted the wraps, I think i had something like 13. Now cut you oh say about 2 foot of non gutted para cord. Find the center and fold it in half. So I took the middle two wraps and put a piece of non gutted cord underneath of two wraps. Then finish doing your wraps. Now what i do different is how i finish it off.. I take two of the wraps and go threw the end loops then i come back threw. Kinda makes a knot that wont back out. You will pull your other end tight. That will cinch everything tight. Next i weave the other end. But for now you can leave the tail on.

Next your going to attach one clip to the gun using that piece of para cord that was under the two wraps. Should look something like this.

Now that you got that your gonna have to learn how to do a cobra knot. Its easy once you get it. But this is a very short section so might seem harder than it really is. I did a double cobra knot on this also. But only the two strands of para cord. I used 4 on the sling itself.

This isn't me but i think it will give you a good idea. Now you can make multi color. But i wanted to keep it one solid piece. Also all a double or king cobra knot is a repeated layer. So once you reach the end you just turn around and work your way back.

YouTube - How to Make a Paracord Bracelet (Cobra Weave)

Now that you have that done, repeat the process on the other end of the rifle.

Now what your going to do is the weave. Its pretty simple but aggravating. Take another piece of gutted para cord say 5ft long. Then your going to start your weave. The picture should explain it. And also thats the reason we have the needles. Slide the para cord threw the eye of the needle and burn the end so that it doesn't slide threw the eye. Now you can weave. If it gets tight then pull the needle with the pliers. And to get the twists out you just gotta play with it. Trust me if your doing this i feel your pain. The reason i did this is because the two wraps were the clips are on the rifle want to slide around. The weave holds everything together and tightens everything up. Now you can jerk on it and it shouldn't move. Also i start at the butt end, and the extra i have i put near the front of the rifle.

Now comes the fun part. Take your clips off the rifel...

Your gonna make the sling!! Wait! nope forgot to tell you to finish the weave on those wraps but I'm sure by the pictures and now that your pro's you got that under control. Back to the sling...

So on my sling i wanted two things. 1. Comfortable, so that meant flexible and wide 2. I wanted to use it as a makeshift belt if needed. So what i did first was take your clips and a piece of trash line and measure out how much you would need to make a belt... Tie them on the clips and attach to your rifle. Is it long enough? to long? Mine was just right. There are ways to make it adjustable. But i haven't done that yet, so can't really give you guidance on it. So now that you have your measurements take the trash line off the clips.. thats your template. Now i ran the rest of my para cord threw the house... Making sure there was no knots tangles etc.

Read threw this and you will figure out how i made the belt.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Para...mpaign=related

All i did was a bigger version of that. And instead of two strands i did four. Also remember that i use a king or double cobra knot. Which is just a repeat of the cobra just the other way. I would say i used 50 to 60ft of para cord for this. To finish the ends i wanted to make it easy to pull apart if needed. So didn't want to burn the ends to the knot. I made a very simple Celtic button knot on either side.

YouTube - Celtic Button Knot

Here are some pics that i took of various stages..

I really hope that i did a good enough explaining how to do this. I really enjoyed doing it. I normally don't make things for myself. And i don't think I've ever made a how to.. So there ya have it. I'd be glad to answer any questions.

James

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1997s10ss For This Useful Post:

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,402 Times in 9,973 Posts

Thumbs up

Excellent tutotrial! Thanx alot of takin the time to make this post
    Nie pogrywaj ze mna

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 775 Posts

Great post. I will have to give that a try. Nice job.

Thanks

Great tutorial! One suggestion - if you can get your hands on mastic tape instead of electrical tape it'd be good - won't leave goo all over your rifle. Basically it's a rubber tape that only sticks to itself. You can usually find it at hardware/home-repair stores. Costs more than electrical tape.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodsmith View Post
    Great tutorial! One suggestion - if you can get your hands on mastic tape instead of electrical tape it'd be good - won't leave goo all over your rifle. Basically it's a rubber tape that only sticks to itself. You can usually find it at hardware/home-repair stores. Costs more than electrical tape.
    Good idea Woodsmith, I appreciate it.. I plan on doing another one when i get back home. Ill give that a shot for sure.

rogumpogum

*rubs chin* Vedddy intwesting.

What would you do if you have, say, sling swivels already on the gun? Just attach the clip halves to that with paracord?

Thanks for the tutorial!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nutshucker View Post
    *rubs chin* Vedddy intwesting.

What would you do if you have, say, sling swivels already on the gun? Just attach the clip halves to that with paracord?

Thanks for the tutorial!

Yuppers, thats what i would do. Another reason i did this was anyone can go to walmart and pick up a cheap sling. Or pay a good bit of money on a nice leather sling. I didn't want to do either.... I have something that obviously I'm proud of, that serves many purposes. And the best part. I did it for under $10... Now I'm not gonna lie, that did take me a good portion of the day. Oh and i took it out squirrel hunting today. Worked out awesome!

Tracker
    Thanks

this is an awsome tutorial, thanks for posting it.