Thread: Next batch

Hardwoodsman Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,001 Times in 10,697 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire View Post
    Looking good!

Just put Adam to work doing that for you. Just pay him in mtn dew cans.
    It would have to be empty cans because the last thing that boy needs is caffeine. lol.
    Thanks, bro.
    Romans 10:9
    Turley Knives web site
    Remember the birds
    youtube channel
    Turley Knives sub-forum
    My blog about Turley knives and stuff
    http://turleycustomknives.blogspot.com/
    "See the High Priest He took my place, when the Judge looks at me He sees His Son's face." -16 Horsepower

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iz For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,985 Times in 1,816 Posts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Iz View Post
    Ok, boys. All I got done in the shop today was to heat treat the last three blades. The rest of the day was spent going through all the sales records for this year to see how much money I have to pay in sales tax. Yee haw.
    You know, a smart guy would write down what he had to pay sales tax on when the sale goes through instead of waiting until the end of the year to find them.

We gotta get you the rest the way into this decade brother. Your finally rockin a cellphone from this century time to get you learned up on computerized book keeping.
    HardwoodsLeatherworks.com
    Hardwoods Leatherworks Vendor Forum

Turley Knife Club Member #143

"Some want to live within the sound of the church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell. " C.T. Studd

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lerch For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Shone's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 396 Posts

Ok, boys. All I got done in the shop today was to heat treat the last three blades. The rest of the day was spent going through all the sales records for this year to see how much money I have to pay in sales tax. Yee haw.
    You know, a smart guy would write down what he had to pay sales tax on when the sale goes through instead of waiting until the end of the year to find them.
    Awwww, the joys of being a small business man... I actually looked into going independent awhile back. $20,000.00 + a year for health insurance pretty much killed that idea dead.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shone For This Useful Post:

Vendor
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shone View Post
    Awwww, the joys of being a small business man... I actually looked into going independent awhile back. $20,000.00 + a year for health insurance pretty much killed that idea dead.
    Yeah, no doubt. I went a long time without health insurance and finally my wife got me on hers at work. The down side to that is the older we get the higher it gets and the less likely it is we'll be able to afford it even through her work.
    If a person's goal is to make a killing by going into small business for themselves they'll be miserable because that's just not the reality of it. The fact that you can work for yourself and love your job has got to be the driving force I think. If not you'll freak out at how much money the government, health insurance and daily operations actually take away from your "profit". It's been eye opening to say the least.
    But God has blessed me to be able to make it so far and I hope that continues, I dread working for somebody again. I hope that never has to happen.
    Turley Knives web site
    Remember the birds
    youtube channel
    Turley Knives sub-forum
    "See the High Priest He took my place, when the Judge looks at me He sees His Son's face." -16 Horsepower

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Iz For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,742 Times in 996 Posts

Yeah, no doubt. I went a long time without health insurance and finally my wife got me on hers at work. The down side to that is the older we get the higher it gets and the less likely it is we'll be able to afford it even through her work.
    If a person's goal is to make a killing by going into small business for themselves they'll be miserable because that's just not the reality of it. The fact that you can work for yourself and love your job has got to be the driving force I think. If not you'll freak out at how much money the government, health insurance and daily operations actually take away from your "profit". It's been eye opening to say the least.
    But God has blessed me to be able to make it so far and I hope that continues, I dread working for somebody again. I hope that never has to happen.
    so very true brother, i miss working for myself something aweful, but it wasnt the right business for me, still looking for the one......i dont know who said it but its been said, "do what you love and find a way to make a living doing it"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillingerBlades For This Useful Post:

Recovering Redneck Supporter DCM's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,865 Times in 2,279 Posts

I spent 25 years working for a/the 'Man' in the medical filed and it can drain the life out of you if your not careful. Paid the bills but was very demanding in many ways,with the call, accuity of patients and dealing with unnecessary and self-aggrandizing middle management. 7 years ago said enough was enough and started my own business. It has been very rewarding and fulfilling. The practical reality is that anything fulfilling always comes with hard work, struggle and challenge. There is a saying that 'you don't own a small business but that the small business owns you'. It's okay by me so far but will see how long that lasts. It is not a small busy friendly environment we have or have had for a looong time in this country. If my wife didn't work at a medical practice as a nurse and paid for our medical expenses it would be very different to say the least. It's still not cheap but much better than full price. If I had to do it over again I would have started earlier most likely. I still very much enjoy running things the way they are.
    Matthew 25:40
    There are very few universal truths, one of them is the need to own a good knife.
    Turley Knife Club #85 / Axe Mob
    Certified Jr Woodchuck
    AKA Doggiecareman http://www.kesslerkennelfarms.com/

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DCM For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Add heat, cold , rain, mud, ice, wind. Payroll for crew on friday, all accounts due by the 10th of the month, come hell or high water. For me it would still beat all the alternatives.......Uncas

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uncas For This Useful Post:

Vendor
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I agree totally with you guys.
    Turley Knives web site
    Remember the birds
    youtube channel
    Turley Knives sub-forum

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iz For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Haha, and in my 30's & 40's, I ran coonhounds 4 or 5 nights a week, and cut our own firewood, and made a huge garden. Lookin back from here it doesn't even seem real. Everything I manage now is kind of piss ant compared to the old days, enjoy it while it lasts my young friends......Uncas

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Uncas For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,742 Times in 996 Posts

as a side note, I have for the last few years ,lower my overhead considerable so as soon as I can find a way to pay what little bills I have without punching a clock, my toolbox is rolling home and I'm never going back! Lol

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KillingerBlades For This Useful Post:

Page 246 of 376 FirstFirst ... 196236244245246247248256296 ... LastLast