Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Wing boot life expectancy?

Tracker
    Thanks

Smile Red Wing boot life expectancy?

Hello Everyone!

I've been wanting to buy a pair of Red Wing boots for a long time but they sure are not cheap!

I have been looking at the Red Wing 2211: http://www.redwingshoes.com/productd...px?prodid=1145

My local store has them on sale for $179.99

While I was at the Red Wing store they offered to "fit" me for a pair so if I decided to buy them I would know the size. The size they determined felt pretty snug on my foot, but they told me they should be a little snug when brand new and they would quickly form to fit my foot after wearing them. Should they fit that snug when new? They told me my foot shouldn't be free to move around in a properly fitted work boot.

My question for all of you Red Wing boot owners......If I take good care of them by keeping them oiled, how long can I expect them to last? I'm not going to abuse them, I have a pair of boots I wear at work. I just want a nice pair of insulated boots I can wear here in Minnesota during the winter.

Also.....how do you like your Red Wings?

Many thanks for the information and comments!
    Last edited by snatiep; 12-04-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

My dad use to work very hard in his. They'd last him about a year and a half, but it was serious hard work. Up and down the bulldozer all day, kicking whatever needed kicking, kneeling dozens of times a day, constant changing terrain...He loved them but switched to a cheaper brand as the price went up.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Redwings are Fine boots. I used to work in underground coal mining. They would last about 2 years. It took about 3 months to wear holes in the toes and expose the steel toe...That is what crawling around will do. Under "normal" conditions you should get at least 3 years, possibly more. Danner is also a fine boot as well. If you act today, they are having a 50% off sale and they have free shipping. Use promo code :goodfriend. I ordered a pair of mountain lite II's this morning for $125 off the normal price...Merry Christmas to me..lol

Guide
    Thanks

Red wing makes and excellent boot. I hhave ben wearing the same pair at least 3 days a week since 1991 they have been retreaded twice by redwing. When they come back they fit like new as they completly rebuild the boots. They also offer a synthetic toe cap to protect the leather on the toe. I highly recomend that option, it pays for its self.

Thanks

excellent boots, however it takes a good month to break them in. I am on my feet for 8 hrs a day on a concrete floor. For the first couple of weeks i was second guessing my decision. They brooke in and i will never buy anything else. My lasted me about a year or so, the leather is still good just need to resole them.

Thanks

I have had my Redwings for well over 30 years and have had them resoled many times. They are by far the most comfortable boot I have ever owned (cost over $300 in the late 70's) and I am very rough on them since I live/hike in the desert.

Thanks

They are excellent boots. when I worked industrial maintenance I got 6-7 years out of a pair.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,612 Times in 2,158 Posts

Many people focus on price, think of value. If a cheap pair last six months and a pair that costs twice as much last three times longer well the cheap pair cost you more and has less value. Oh, by the way I make a living in leather steel toe boots. I've worn them all. No other boot company offers sizes that fit everyone unlike the other companies that make boots that fit the "average guy". They require the least amount of breakin. I won't wear anything else.
    I love em'

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redmech For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 731 Posts

I used to wear Red Wing Loggers. The ones I had 20 years ago were tough, and lasted several years of hard use. Every pair I got since them seemed to last a little less time. The last two pair I had lasted less than a year before they literally came apart and were not repairable. The last pair the guy at the boot shop sent them back and got me a full refund. I bought a pair of Hawthorns. The boot shop guy said he considered dropping the Red Wings because of so many problems with them recently.

I wish I could say they have been as good as the ones I had 15-20 years ago, but I'm just letting you know what my experience has been.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on.

PS, I buy my boots fitted to heavy wool socks, and spenco insoles.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Joshuajk

i own a pair of these: http://www.redwingshoes.com/productd...px?prodid=1812
    I have owned them for almost 4 years now and they still look pretty much the way they did when i bought them except for some scruff marks on the toe.

My father has owned a pair of them(diff. model from mine) as well. I know the pair he has now he's had for about 6-7 years or so and he works construction for his small business.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast