Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: My First Aid Kit

Founder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,121 Times in 998 Posts

As always I don't advocate carrying anything you don't know how and when to use. Epi pens fall under that category. They also require a prescription, are expensive, and have an expiration date. I'm not very flexible on that rule but you don't always need to listen me.
    King Nicholas approves of this message.

Founder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,121 Times in 998 Posts

As for allergic reactions to mastisol, I have no doubt it's possible but have never personally seen it.
    King Nicholas approves of this message.

Thanks

Default First Aid Kit

Bought a basic first aid kit for use this summer, thanks for all the great information. I now know how to augment my kit for this summers use!

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Grizzix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 457 Posts

Some of the posts on here are scaring the hell outta me. I appreciate all the "This is my daypack kit/1st aid pouch/ninja gear because it gives me ideas for things I might not have though about(especially the ninja gear). The problem is there are too many people that think "Oh, he has one, I need one too". This isn't the case, ESPECIALLY with 1st aid kits. Use common sense and if you don't know what it is for or how to use it...YOU DON'T NEED IT. You are going to hurt yourself or someone else through misuse. Prime example...What if 556MP had been out with someone who THOUGHT they knew what they were doing rather than someone who did. 1st sign of blood said person throws a tourniquet on him. He could have lost his hand from lack of bloodflow if it wasn't used properly. If I recall all that was used was a pressure dressing. Please, and I speak to myself with this plea, take proper 1st aid courses to learn the hows and whys instead of guessing or doing what you saw on YouTube. Some classes are expensive but there are places that give this training for free. Please don't hurt someone by "trying" to help. Just my $0.02.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizzix; 05-01-2012 at 11:19 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grizzix For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For someone who has not much medical training at all. How should I structure my kit? Main priority would also be wound care as I think most kits in our hobby would be.....

Scout Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,439 Times in 657 Posts

Check out the First Aid Kit lesson in Bushclass. IA's video covers things that most everyone can use.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...(E)-Make-a-FAK
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kurt992 For This Useful Post:

Tracker Supporter
    Thanks

That's a heck of a kit. I have to ask, though, (and I feel like I should know this) what's the paper clip for?
    And I notice you don't carry any of that bandage that sticks to itself, which I've found to be invaluable in treating a writhing, agonized patient (a dog, actually), where having to spend time wrapping tape over its hairy body, which would just come off anyway, was just too difficult.

Tracker
    Thanks

That is a great looking FAK might I suggest some more surgical equipment. I carry this in mine also http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007TR...ref=mp_s_a_1_3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Redbusa06 View Post
    For someone who has not much medical training at all. How should I structure my kit? Main priority would also be wound care as I think most kits in our hobby would be.....
    Lots of clean, sterile stuff to deal with cuts and minor wounds cleanly. I will not say anything about major wound stuff as I do not know but making sure cuts don't become infected is very important, you are very likely to deal with these and you may need a large supply. A throbbing infection can happen anytime and will ruin your trip and you'll have to go home immediately for treatment, and obviously can be dangerous if you're far out. So I always make sure to have lots of packets of sterile gauze swabs, sterile dressings, ampoules of saline for rinsing and irrigating, and antiseptic ointments. I take a lot of this stuff.. some times you might not use it at all but if you happen to get two or three cuts/nasty open blisters etc. and you're out for a few days, you've got to re-clean the wound and replace those dressings at least once a day and it's very easy to underestimate the amount of this stuff you could require.

Tracker
    Thanks

a tube or 2 of cake icing was recommended to my wife to carry for those times when her sugars drop too much / too low........

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789